13 month old on a cruise ship

0time2cruise

That’s fine and many people take babies on cruises all the time but tell them to expect to have to miss some of the activities. Tell them to expect to have to do some things separately so someone can be with the baby. They will need to Ali or the activities and schedule around the baby schedule. It’s doable, but they should expect to temper their expectations.

We took my 15 month old back in January. We had a great time, it was a family vacation so the whole family goes. It will be different if they have cruised before. We took turns who stayed in the room at nap time and at night I would go out to the early shows and stuff then we would switch and my husband would go out.

Any baby stuff they need, bring extra, you probably won't be able to find baby meds, it the brand of dishes and wipes they like. If you do find then it will be more expensive. A good umbrella stroller will be very helpful for naps in the go and we even used it for diaper changes in Port when we needed to. So swim diapers allowed in the pools or splash area so plan water activities for ports if they want to get the baby in the water. Some people like to bring a small blow up tub/pool to use in the shower for bath time. Cleaning tables in the ship are usually in the handicap bathroom.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

When you're a "family"..that's how you vacation! It's fine. There will be ALL ages of kids aboard, from 6 months and up! You do need to bring all the "baby related" stuff you'll need, but you'll have an extra bag for souvenirs on the way home!

You will also need to set expectations with your daughter and SIL with regard to how much, if any, childcare you as the grandparents will be doing on this cruise. Friends of mine were in this situation and they had to tell their son and daughter-in-law that if they were coming on the cruise, that as the grandparents, they would babysit ONE night so that the son/DIL could have a date night. Apparently there was some resentment because son/DIL had assumed that my friends would be more than happy to give up all (or at least most) of their evenings to sit with their grandson.

After some tense conversations and negotiations, the son and DIL elected to join my friends, and my friends decided to also help pay for one session of Kids Club daytime babysitting and one session at Night Owls so the four adults could spend time as a group. It was a reasonable compromise.

Whatever you decide, have it outlined with your family before you leave. You don’t want your vacation soured with badly-set expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took my 15 month old back in January. We had a great time, it was a family vacation so the whole family goes. It will be different if they have cruised before. We took turns who stayed in the room at nap time and at night I would go out to the early shows and stuff then we would switch and my husband would go out.

Any baby stuff they need, bring extra, you probably won't be able to find baby meds, it the brand of dishes and wipes they like. If you do find then it will be more expensive. A good umbrella stroller will be very helpful for naps in the go and we even used it for diaper changes in Port when we needed to. So swim diapers allowed in the pools or splash area so plan water activities for ports if they want to get the baby in the water. Some people like to bring a small blow up tub/pool to use in the shower for bath time. Cleaning tables in the ship are usually in the handicap bathroom.

I believe horsegal meant "no" swim diapers are allowed in pools or splash area.

We brought a 10 month old granddaughter on a cruise in 2007 (her mom was along too while dad deployed in Iraq) and it was fine. Make sure you have an umbrella type stroller that folds easily as to not take up room in cabin, but has an awning over baby to keep sun off. We also bought a blow up baby bathtub for shower. We had other children in our party so we ate early, went back to cabin to bathe her and get her in PJs, then put her in stroller while we went back out to shows, etc and she went to sleep. If no other kids in your party, you may want to feed yours in buffet early, get baby ready for bed, put in stroller and have child sleep while you enjoy a peaceful late dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will also need to set expectations with your daughter and SIL with regard to how much, if any, childcare you as the grandparents will be doing on this cruise. Friends of mine were in this situation and they had to tell their son and daughter-in-law that if they were coming on the cruise, that as the grandparents, they would babysit ONE night so that the son/DIL could have a date night. Apparently there was some resentment because son/DIL had assumed that my friends would be more than happy to give up all (or at least most) of their evenings to sit with their grandson.

After some tense conversations and negotiations, the son and DIL elected to join my friends, and my friends decided to also help pay for one session of Kids Club daytime babysitting and one session at Night Owls so the four adults could spend time as a group. It was a reasonable compromise.

Whatever you decide, have it outlined with your family before you leave. You don’t want your vacation soured with badly-set expectations.

Nizzie- great point and this applies to families with kids of any age! We're going on our first family vacation with my DD, SIL and 10 year old grandson... while we will do some things together as a group, there will be times when we'll go our own way. I told my daughter we won't be responsible for my grandson the whole time so they can go off and do whatever they want (not that she'd expect it, but I wanted it to be clear upfront so there were no hard feelings!).

Hubby and I are paying for a night in the steakhouse for the 2 of them and we'll keep my grandson occupied, assuming he doesn't spend the whole time in Camp Ocean!

My first dd went at 6, 9, 12 and 18 months, 2nd went at 6 months and will be going again in Feb. Cruising is different with kids for sure but I personally think the best type of vacation with small kids, no cooking, cleaning, driving etc. I actually think they helped me slow down and enjoy the details of the cruise, not like when it was pre kids and I always had a drink in hand and that was the main focus. Although I do miss the serenity deck.

Carnival has no minimum age limit for their Steak House dining rooms. We brought along our little guy's car seat and it gave him a comfortable place to relax and nap while we enjoyed a well deserved evening " out " together. Reservations are recommended for the Steak House.

Hmmm, mine will not be a popular opinion, but, isn't that what these boards are for? Discussion? On a cruise with our adult kids a couple years ago, DIL was adamant about bringing their 11 month old. Hubby and I made it clear that we were not going to be babysitters! She also insisted that "the cruise line could not keep them from enjoying the pools with their baby" (even though she was still in diapers). Once I made it clear that, the cruise line could and would indeed not allow the baby in the pool in a diaper, and that she and our son would be solely responsible for the care of their baby, she changed her mind about bringing her.

My feeling is that we raised our kids without any help, and now that we are able to afford to take cruises, etc. I DO NOT want to have to put up with somebody else's kids. Yes, even our grandkids!

Last year, we were on another, higher-end cruise line. We had made reservations in the steakhouse, which is the most formal of their dining rooms, with the accompanying surcharge. At the next table, a young family had a toddler, who would not sit still. She was running around between the tables, jumping from chair to chair at their own table, shrieking, knocking over her milk and just generally being very bothersome for those of us who thought that we were going to get a lovely, elegant, dining experience. I finally had enough and told the Maitre'd that we needed to be moved, and our surcharge refunded to our account, as this was NOT the experience that we had been led to expect. We were immediately accommodated with profuse apologies.

It is my opinion that there are places which are appropriate for children, and there are places which are not.

Hmmm, mine will not be a popular opinion, but, isn't that what these boards are for? Discussion? On a cruise with our adult kids a couple years ago, DIL was adamant about bringing their 11 month old. Hubby and I made it clear that we were not going to be babysitters! She also insisted that "the cruise line could not keep them from enjoying the pools with their baby" (even though she was still in diapers). Once I made it clear that, the cruise line could and would indeed not allow the baby in the pool in a diaper, and that she and our son would be solely responsible for the care of their baby, she changed her mind about bringing her.

My feeling is that we raised our kids without any help, and now that we are able to afford to take cruises, etc. I DO NOT want to have to put up with somebody else's kids. Yes, even our grandkids!

Last year, we were on another, higher-end cruise line. We had made reservations in the steakhouse, which is the most formal of their dining rooms, with the accompanying surcharge. At the next table, a young family had a toddler, who would not sit still. She was running around between the tables, jumping from chair to chair at their own table, shrieking, knocking over her milk and just generally being very bothersome for those of us who thought that we were going to get a lovely, elegant, dining experience. I finally had enough and told the Maitre'd that we needed to be moved, and our surcharge refunded to our account, as this was NOT the experience that we had been led to expect. We were immediately accommodated with profuse apologies.

It is my opinion that there are places which are appropriate for children, and there are places which are not.

Not knocking your opinion. I completely understand. We do not have kids and are free to do what we like when we like on a cruise. I can only imagine what a change it would be if we had to schedule everything around a child. You are paying for your trip, enjoy as you see fit

Not knocking your opinion. I completely understand. We do not have kids and are free to do what we like when we like on a cruise. I can only imagine what a change it would be if we had to schedule everything around a child. You are paying for your trip, enjoy as you see fit

However if you have a child then your home life is already different and scheduled around nap and bedtimes. It becomes your new normal and a cruise can be a great way to spend time together as a family with NO cell phones or Internet. However the couple that had a toddler at the steakhouse and were letting it run around and be disruptive, no that is not ok.

We did not go to the steakhouse with our 15 month old and would never take him there because there is no way he would have made it through the dinner without crying. We did take him to the MDR and if he started crying or screaming and didn't calm down within a minute I would leave the dining room with him until he calmed down, just like I do at home in a restaurant. It is very sad how many parents do not remove their screaming or crying child and make a bad name for all families with small children. I hate the dirty looks we got on the cruise and even at restaurants at home when we go out. Once they see he is well behaved and polite they all love him though! The only way for kids to learn how to behave in public is to take them in public and teach them what is appropriate.

The only way for kids to learn how to behave in public is to take them in public and teach them what is appropriate.

And that's a wonderful concept as long as the learning doesn't make for miserable meals for others at surrounding tables :) Children are wonderful miracles ... but .... as someone said above there are places that are and are not appropriate for little ones.;)

Remember to ,there is no insulation in the walls between cabins , If the baby cries , You are bothering people on either side of your cabin and across the hall .. We had a spa cabin ,people next door had a baby that cried almost non -stop day and night , Day 2 ,I had ,had enough , went to the service desk ,They sent security up ,to talk to the couple ..Baby was cutting teeth .. So your decision affects others ,who also paid for their vacation

Taking a family vacation with babies and parents who are willing to alter their pre-baby Cruise habits to accommodate is great. I think the issues arises when parents bring the baby but want to do all the cruise type stuff they did before the baby! With a baby parents must understand that their experience can be wonderful but different. There will not be every night at the disco, comedy club, quiet dining experiences and they will have to be on duty for naps, not in The Sun on Lido deck all day etc... and expecting family to alter their normal cruise routines to care for them is not rights either... cruising as a family can be fun but I think it’s all about having realistic expectations.... and being prepared, so check out the family cruising tips section to get and idea...

Remember to ,there is no insulation in the walls between cabins , If the baby cries , You are bothering people on either side of your cabin and across the hall .. We had a spa cabin ,people next door had a baby that cried almost non -stop day and night , Day 2 ,I had ,had enough , went to the service desk ,They sent security up ,to talk to the couple ..Baby was cutting teeth .. So your decision affects others ,who also paid for their vacation

I feel you. We had a spa cabin last time and there was a room across the hall with a baby that cried at 7am EVERY DAY. What I observed happening was when the child cried, they carried him out into the hallway so that the other parent could sleep. Gee, thanks for that!

And that's a wonderful concept as long as the learning doesn't make for miserable meals for others at surrounding tables :) Children are wonderful miracles ... but .... as someone said above there are places that are and are not appropriate for little ones.;)

Honestly I have had more meals and hallways in the cabin area more disturbed by the loud obnoxious adults then babies, babies cry because that's what they do to communicate and is usually addressed quickly by the parent. Most patterns do everything they can to keep babies quite when traveling or out in public. Drunk adults, not so much...

While that may be true, cruising, especially on a Carnival cruise ship is appropriate for families, including the MDR. Of course, manners and behaving apply as well.

I feel you. We had a spa cabin last time and there was a room across the hall with a baby that cried at 7am EVERY DAY. What I observed happening was when the child cried, they carried him out into the hallway so that the other parent could sleep. Gee, thanks for that!

I have had way more drunks come back at 3:30 am (and not a lot of these either) then babies crying all night long.

I have had way more drunks come back at 3:30 am (and not a lot of these either) then babies crying all night long.

I’m sure that is the case most frequently, but I do sympathize for the passengers on a long awaited, hard earned vacation having it disrupted by a baby crying every morning! I would NOT be happy! When we cruised with our granddaughter, if she began to fuss, her mother took her up Out of the cabin areas and pushed her in her stroller. Also, if nobody was in the library, that is where she would let her crawl around and burn off steam.

We have sailed with our kids and took the youngest for the first time when he was 14 months old. Honestly, I was quite nervous because some of the people on these boards are rather negative about kids on cruises. But we had such a great experience. All of the staff loved our kids, especially the baby and we were lucky to have kind neighbors and tablemates. And yes kids in a cabin do make noise, but they are basically silent from 8 pm to 7 am and we have absolutely been beside the drunk college crowd and also a nice elderly couple who coughed and coughed and coughed all night long for 7 days. You never know what you are going to get! We just don't plan on much night life but still very much enjoy our cruises. I second the tip of trying to get baby to sleep thru dinner by walking laps ahead of time. We also never bring a stroller but a baby carrier I would just put him in and wear. My parents would also eat lunch around 1130, then come keep the baby for about an hour while he napped so we could eat lunch alone with the bigger kids. We have also been on ships with the water works which basically is a sprinkler (not standing water), and I would let the baby splash around in the puddles on the outskirts. Nobody seemed to mind. I am sure y'all will have a great time with your sweet grandbaby :)