Booking flights found on ITA Matrix

Chairsin

I have found some very good business class fares on Matrix for Fiji Airways one way LAS-SYD and AKL-LAX for next Feb/March. At these fares I am willing to put up with their angled flat seats(versus the true flat beds we are used to other carriers) and the stopover in Fiji. When I go to their website to book these same flights the fares are much higher. Does that mean the only way to get these fares is to call them or a TA? Do you generally find the fares shown on this site are really available( and yes, I had the search set to show only available seats).

The booking codes and fare codes are the key to your problem. PLUS you must match the EXACT flights and times and have seats available in the specific fare class. What I find on Matrix is a Z class fare on the return from AKL. I believe this is the discounted business fare and MAY NOT be available on the specific days you looked. Or on the web, it may not be showing. You may have to call AirPacific (oops, Fiji Airlines) or have a TA book it. For the amount of money you are saving PLUS very often you can stay in Fiji for a few days at no upcharge on the ticket (READ the fare rules), using a TA on this airline may be beneficial if they can get the price.

You need to go to the details section on Matrix and match every one of those segments. And every fare code and any other information to get the right price. This is even in the details section provided as advice for TA's.

"Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown."

I just tried a couple of times using Feb 16 outbound and March 3 inbound. I couldn't get the price because Fiji Airlines doesn't have a book by schedule (where you can pick the individual flights). Kept kicking me to different flights that were not the price on Matrix. Can see it in our company GDS, which means a travel agent can book it. In addition, I can see only 1 seat available on Expertflyer in Z class on the return so if you are trying to book two tickets together, it will kick you into the business unrestricted class. Only difference I can see besides price (and that is a LOT) in the two classes of business tickets is Z is not refundable (only 50%) while C class is totally refundable if cancelled prior to the flight. There are also change fees (minimal in the scheme of things) attached to Z class (which I believe is the business saver class) while there are none in C class.

Sometimes it is rather difficult to match the ITA price without using ITA, book by schedule on the airline website AND Expertflyer. Expertflyer is a real time saver when it means finding specific fare codes and how many seats are available in that fare code. Also, the BEST for finding upgrade award availability. Very inexpensive in the scheme of things.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I've also found (ironic but true) that sometimes Expedia can ferret out ITA-like fares when you can't find them on airline sites.

Affordable business class to Oz/NZ at that time of year is a rare thing. What dates are you looking at and what constitutes "very good fares" to you?

I've also found (ironic but true) that sometimes Expedia can ferret out ITA-like fares when you can't find them on airline sites.

Affordable business class to Oz/NZ at that time of year is a rare thing. What dates are you looking at and what constitutes "very good fares" to you?

On ITA, for the dates above, fare in business on AirPacific was about $4700 on the open jaw ticket. But trying to book online resulted in everything from $7800-9100. BIG savings if you can really get that Z class ticket from New Zealand.

Maybe you should suggest a RTW fare for this if the OP is going to do more traveling in the next year. I love your explanations and examples of RTW fares.

Thanks -- I will contact a TA on Monday. I don't usually use a local TA -- I use an UK agent who books all of our Seabourn cruises.But I do some times use the local AAA travel service so will print out the detailed fare code info and see what they can do.. Looking at at many options ( we are very flexible time wise ) for about a month long stay I found booking a one way Lax-Syd on 2/16 and alone way returning from Akl-Lax on 3/17 the fare the total for both flights was just under $3500 USD per person. I absolutely have no problem paying some one to book the air at those prices.I consider that a very good fare given it is pretty much peak season.Will report back and let you know if I was able to book it. In the meantime I may try Expedia. Thank you for your help.

Thanks -- I will contact a TA on Monday. I don't usually use a local TA -- I use an UK agent who books all of our Seabourn cruises.But I do some times use the local AAA travel service so will print out the detailed fare code info and see what they can do.. Looking at at many options ( we are very flexible time wise ) for about a month long stay I found booking a one way Lax-Syd on 2/16 and alone way returning from Akl-Lax on 3/17 the fare the total for both flights was just under $3500 USD per person. I absolutely have no problem paying some one to book the air at those prices.I consider that a very good fare given it is pretty much peak season.Will report back and let you know if I was able to book it. In the meantime I may try Expedia. Thank you for your help.

That is an absolutely spectacular price for a business class flight to OZ. Keep trying TA's until you get one to price it out.

Good luck!!!

Not for the same exact dates, but I can see some okay award availability on combinations of American and Hawaiian Airlines on LAX-xHNL-SYD//AKL-xBNE-xHNL-LAX during the same week, for 125,000 miles per person round trip in biz/first.

Until June 12, American has a promo with which you can buy American Airlines miles for around 2c per mile, i.e. around $2500 for 125,000 miles, then just turn around and redeem them on those flights. Of course if you already have AA miles, you don't have to buy as many. https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift

Hawaiian's business/first class is closer to US domestic first than international business, but if you're willing to put up with Air Pathetic, then fine. One advantage of the AA award booking is that if by some miracle Qantas opens some business class seats, as long as your city pairs remain the same (LAX-SYD, AKL-LAX) you could switch to the Qantas flights at no charge.

Thanks for pointing out that option. That does seem to be a great offer from American.I have a few hundred thousand United miles ( as well as 400,000 AmEX) but no American.Have been following United/ air NZ award availability but as often mentioned on this board there is rarely biz class saver availability during the peak Feb/March season. Given all of the bad reviews about Hawaiian and their "biz class "2seats I have pretty much ruled them out. If I can purchase the tickets on Fiji Airways in the ballpark of what I saw that will be a Ganga as far as I am concerned.

As promised I am reporting back --- success! The cost per person worked out at about $3600 plus the fee I paid the agent to do it but well worth it. Also note that every time she tried to book it as one ticket LAX-SYD/AKL-LAX it priced out about $1000 more per person. Only when entered as two one way tickets did it price out at $3600. So it shows it pays to persistent and creative when booking air. ( I was also very flexible when it came to dates and tried many different options until I came up with a great price. Thanks to all the support.