Norwegian Escape - Declared the Ugliest Cruise Ship

BirdTravels

The article on the ugliest cruise ship features a picture of the Norwegian Escape as the festured/best example. We grew up on grand cruise ships, but like the free style megaships now. Do you think the Escape is Ugly?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/02/13/new-crop-cruise-ships-ugliest-ever-you-judge/318861002/

Sailing on it early April, let me get back to you...

We're actually doing our Escape for the 3rd time in April also (not on your cruise). And she is our favorite ship. But, we are sailing on her new baby sister during the summer (anxiously awaiting her float out).

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

It was all new ships. The Harmony of the Seas was also on it. All the article was saying is new ships are boxy so they can fit all the whistles and bells on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise ships have evolved from being converted ocean liners that were used as means of transportation to purpose-built floating resorts. Designers and engineers will always find ways to cram in as much bells & whistles as possible to get the "edge up" in the industry. I think one of the leading contributing factors to the "ugliness" of today's ships is the sheer volume of balconies. Public spaces have been moved from the top of the ship to the bottom. After all, it's all about keeping the customers happy and making that $$$.

IMHO, the Epic easily takes the cake as the ugliest. No sense of continuity at all from stem to stern, keel to mast. As an NCL loyalist, I'm kind of embarrassed that she's part of our fleet. The Pride of America is a close second.

IMHO, the Epic easily takes the cake as the ugliest. No sense of continuity at all from stem to stern, keel to mast. As an NCL loyalist, I'm kind of embarrassed that she's part of our fleet. The Pride of America is a close second.

I agree with you here. The stern looks like a container ship full of containers. But I think the Celebrity Edge might give it a run for the money with that funky tumor-like sliding platform hung off it's side. Like the Epic, I predict the Edge will be a one-off.

Like the Epic, I predict the Edge will be a one-off.

They are building more ships in the class (4 total, iirc) but that "magic carpet" is just too goofy for me.

That being said, I'm still looking to book Edge because the rest of the ship looks great on the inside. Celebrity is slow with releasing information on this ship so I'm not entirely sure if I'll book.

The Epic wins that category.

I've seen these various articles, especially on the MSN page, and most of the writers are clueless.

As the young folks would say...click bait.

That's what I thought as soon as I read it for 2 seconds...."Click bait". Didn't finish reading.

Inside is what counts, anyway. As long as the view from my balcony is good, I'm good!!!!!!!!!