What to Do in Miami With Late Day Flight? Bags in Tow!

My3Cents

What to do when off the ship around 9-10 but plane doesn't leave until almost 5 pm? The Miami "Hop on/off" bus has horrendous reviews on trip advisor. Just cancelled that. I would like to use the shore excursion credit Norwegian offers, but there will be bags and there are few choices. I could spend the day enjoying Bayside via cab ride there, but I'll have the suitcases. No where to store bags at the Miami port (called them already). Ideas? THANKS!

What to do when off the ship around 9-10 but plane doesn't leave until almost 5 pm? The Miami "Hop on/off" bus has horrendous reviews on trip advisor. Just cancelled that. I would like to use the shore excursion credit Norwegian offers, but there will be bags and there are few choices. I could spend the day enjoying Bayside via cab ride there, but I'll have the suitcases. No where to store bags at the Miami port (called them already). Ideas? THANKS!

Can you book a post cruise excursion that ends at the airport?

As I understand it, your luggage is loaded onto the excursion bus and off loaded at the airport when you get off.

Whatever shore excursions NCL offers will include storing your bags. You mention that there are few choices but you also mention that you want to use the shore excursion credit. So you will have to make a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took a "tours by locals". I simply stated what we wanted to see (left most of this up to guide), how many of us there were, and how many bags we had, and that we wanted to be at the airport by a certain time. Daniel was our tour guide and he took us to a great Cuban restaurant for lunch and even made an impromptu stop at a bookstore when my husband discovered he didn't have reading material for the flight. We have never been disappointed with any of these tours and we have used them in the US and overseas. Most of the time, you can pay extra for them to rent a larger vehicle if you have a big party and/or lots of luggage (and we travel with LOTS of luggage!) Just message your possible guide to ask for what you need and they'll let you know if doable.

Whatever shore excursions NCL offers will include storing your bags. You mention that there are few choices but you also mention that you want to use the shore excursion credit. So you will have to make a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they offer an Everglades excursion that ends at the airport ? That was fun. Or you can rent a car and drive to the beach or anywhere you want to go and leave the bags in the car. When we've had really late flights like 9pm I've rented a hotel room at the beach or airport and hung out there for the day.

Honestly, if you don't get off the ship until 9 to 10, and your flight LEAVES at "almost 5pm" then you really don't have that much extra time. If you haven't been to the Miami airport before, I can warn you that it's terrible. Usually absurdly long lines for checking baggage and for security, unless you have priority with your airline and TSA Pre-Check.

You're in the unfortunate position of having some extra time, but not a lot of time. You have to be at the gate by a little before 4pm (assuming you're not flying international?) and that means you have to be at the airport by a little before 3. So you're left with about 4 hours. Best bet is an NCL excursion, as you will be on a bus with your baggage with you, and they will deliver you to the airport after the excutsion.

I'd definitely go with an NCL post cruise tour. We did the Everglades airboat and it was great. Picked us up at the port and dropped us at the airport with no worries about lugging suitcases around. Your flight must be after 3Pm and the drop off is around 1-1:30 giving you lots of time to enjoy the tour and enough time to grab lunch once at the airport. Worked great for us a couple of times.

Enjoy :D

I'd definitely go with an NCL post cruise tour. We did the Everglades airboat and it was great. Picked us up at the port and dropped us at the airport with no worries about lugging suitcases around. Your flight must be after 3Pm and the drop off is around 1-1:30 giving you lots of time to enjoy the tour and enough time to grab lunch once at the airport. Worked great for us a couple of times.

I second this. We did the Everglades airboat post cruise tour a couple of weeks ago and it was a great way to spend time before our late afternoon flight that day.

Compare the price of changing to an earlier flight to a day room at a hotel with pool (tv, bathroom, shower, place to store your stuff!), to an excursion that will end by 1pm.

Pick the cheaper of the choices.

That's A LOT of time to kill...you are likely to be OFF the ship before 9am.

We did this Everglades tour a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I highly recommend it. We were dropped off at the airport, ate lunch and had a couple of hours to 'de-cruise' before flying home.

This is easy. Rent a car though Alamo at the airport. Print your booking confirmation prior and you can take the free shuttle to the airport on the big blue Alamo Enterprise bus, but you need to show your confirmation. Can’t miss the bus, it’s right out front. Depending on the size of the car, you can get something for about $30. Throw your luggage in the trunk and go wherever you want them turn the car in and take the shuttle to the terminal. Done this a few times. Helps burn some time and pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I have ca late flight out of MIA, I debark early with my bags. Take a cab to MIA, and store my bags there. (Terminal E, Second Level) From there, I take the Airport Flyer Bus from the Airport terminal straight to South Beach. (The bus terminal can be reached via the MIA Mover from terminals D & F) Purchase a day pass for $5.65) Catch bus #150. Walk around the art deco district, have lunch, ect... When you're ready to return, catch the #150 back to the airport, retrieve bags and proceed to security...

Airport Flyer bus is not a bad idea. I, personally, would take a cab or Uber to South Beach. There is a place called "Luggage Lounge" that will store your bags. Then enjoy the day on South Beach, lunch, parks, shopping, etc. etc. You could even book a tour from there, or grab an Uber to Wynwood, visit breweries, etc. Lots and lots of ideas.

The person who said Miami airport is terrible, I couldn't disagree more. I fly quite a bit and live in South Florida. I fly out of MIA often enough. It's one of the better airports. Long lines can happen anywhere but is not the norm. There is plenty of spots to hang out at the airport as well once you get checked in. If you happen to have an AMEX Platinum or Centurion, you also get free access to the Centurion Lounge in the American terminal.

I also think the excursion is a good idea. They will store your bags on the bus and drop you off at the airport when it's over. With your flight time, this is a very sensible idea, too.

We did this Everglades tour a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I highly recommend it. We were dropped off at the airport, ate lunch and had a couple of hours to 'de-cruise' before flying home.

Hmmm. Questions - who stored your bags and where were they stored to pick up, so you could take the everglades tour? It would be paid for by my cruise credit. Lastly, I'm picturing needing sunscreen and bug repellant and perhaps coming away from the tour needing to shower (no idea, please share). And, the everglades tour took you to the MIA airport after tour ended? THANKS FOR THE HELPFUL INFO!

Can you book a post cruise excursion that ends at the airport?

As I understand it, your luggage is loaded onto the excursion bus and off loaded at the airport when you get off.

There's a city of MIami bus tour that leaves at 9 am and gets to the airport at 11:00 am. My plane doesn't leave until almost 5 pm. Bags are stored in the bottom of the bus for passengers. There are few excursion choices w/the cruise line. Two bus tours (2 hr and the hop on/off I've canceled due to horrendous reviews about broken down buses/safety and other things). There's also the everglades tour which I've asked another responder about.

the Everglades tour is tons of fun and it's perfect for your timing. Bonus if you have shore excursion credits!

THANKS! Where did your bags go while you went on the tour? And did the tour company take you to the MIA airport?

THANKS! Where did your bags go while you went on the tour? And did the tour company take you to the MIA airport?

When we did it.....

The luggage went on the bus with us that takes you to the excursion; then you get back on the bus where your luggage has been stored and they drop you off at the airport.

We've done this one twice. Your luggage goes into the baggage compartment underneath the bus. It stays with you the whole time.

After the tour the bus drops you off at the correct terminal at the airport. Very stress free. It was pretty chilly when we went and no bugs.

Rent a car for the day. It will be very cheap for just a few hours. Then you can go wherever you want, do whatever you want, store your bags locked in the car, and get yourself to the airport when ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums