El Cheapo Cruises Thread

MSC Cruises have some specials going at the moment for cruising the Arabian Peninsula and India in 2019 . If you are looking for somewhere different and not too far away to cruise, they may be worth checking out. Would need to tie in with a cheap fare to Dubai.

MSC is a cruise line that I would like to try. They have great itineraries and love their flexible on/off port options in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Esilef

What do you mean by the on/off port options?

Thanks in advance.

I'll answer that one for you. We did msc med last Sept. It had maybe 10 ports and there was embarkation /disembarkation at most if not all ports of call. Made it easier if doing land travel prior as we were. Not as far to fly to the usual starting places like Barcelona civittavecchia and Venice. We flew from Malta to Milan had a day there then train to rapallo for a few days where my sister was pickpocketed while boarding the train to Genoa where we boarded the msc fantastia

Thanks.

What did you think of MSC?

The tradeoff is there isn't one specific cruise, like here where everyone gets on together and gets off together and you have similar emotion/vibe over the whole cruise.

I enjoyed sailing with MSC in the Med but it was more a case of doing your own thing and there was less interaction onboard also because of the mixed languages.

Also, because Dubai is the hub for only one airline there isn't so much competition. I often see cheaper fares going further to Europe, going through Dubai than the fare just to Dubai.

Found one of my old posts - it was in response to someone asking about various med cruise ships

We did a 10 night cruise from Genoa to Rome last September. The ship was lovely, food plentiful and good, entertainment excellent, rooms spacious we had a balcony for 3 and it was plenty big enough for us.

The downside was the passengers, lots of pushing, shoving, yelling, and kids running around at all hours of the day/night.. Several times were woken early hours of the morning 1 -2 am by kids and adults very noisily going back to their rooms.

Lots of extended family groups which resulted in the buffet area being used for family meals. Kids on tables unsupervised and adults on other tables often not nearby their kids.

Don't know if I would go again with MSC, perhaps if it was an essential itinerary I might be tempted but it would have to be at a ridiculously good price. The fact everything was spoken in several languages was not an issue with us guess we tended to just tune out.

Any cruise is better than no cruise but just be aware that manners vary from country to country and family to family. We had lots of Italians, Spanish, French and German, the balance taken up of many different nationalities.

I'm an easygoing person, a granny, have cruised on all variety of ships from P & O to Cunard and all in between. MSC was certainly an experience. But if the price and itinerary and right maybe............. but I would look hard for another option. In our case it was our first time on MSC and the itinerary worked well for us between land travel and a river cruise. We had a couple of weeks to fill in so Milan, Cinque Terra and the cruise worked well.

Just snapped up a bargain from Melbourne.

Carnival Legend 4 nights to Tasmania 27th February 2019.

Guaranteed Balcony twin $391, triple $358, quad $342.

On that wonderful oz website, or slightly more expensive direct from Carnival.

Carnival website also has cheaper interiors and oceanview.

Good find and thanks for sharing.

I just booked it as well. Have a day or so to try get the planets to align to make it happen before full payment is required.

Sorry......couldn't get the planets to align so we had to cancel today (well, the agent cancelled our hold us as we hadn't paid!). I see the price for same category (Guaranteed Balcony) has now gone up to $930.

Found one of my old posts - it was in response to someone asking about various med cruise ships

We did a 10 night cruise from Genoa to Rome last September. The ship was lovely, food plentiful and good, entertainment excellent, rooms spacious we had a balcony for 3 and it was plenty big enough for us.

The downside was the passengers, lots of pushing, shoving, yelling, and kids running around at all hours of the day/night.. Several times were woken early hours of the morning 1 -2 am by kids and adults very noisily going back to their rooms.

Lots of extended family groups which resulted in the buffet area being used for family meals. Kids on tables unsupervised and adults on other tables often not nearby their kids.

Don't know if I would go again with MSC, perhaps if it was an essential itinerary I might be tempted but it would have to be at a ridiculously good price. The fact everything was spoken in several languages was not an issue with us guess we tended to just tune out.

Any cruise is better than no cruise but just be aware that manners vary from country to country and family to family. We had lots of Italians, Spanish, French and German, the balance taken up of many different nationalities.

I'm an easygoing person, a granny, have cruised on all variety of ships from P & O to Cunard and all in between. MSC was certainly an experience. But if the price and itinerary and right maybe............. but I would look hard for another option. In our case it was our first time on MSC and the itinerary worked well for us between land travel and a river cruise. We had a couple of weeks to fill in so Milan, Cinque Terra and the cruise worked well.

I agree with your comments, which is why I wouldn't choose to cruise with MSC again. However, if MSC based a ship in Australia, I'd love to cruise with them again, as there was lots I loved about MSC, esp their smaller ships.

Hi Esilef

What do you mean by the on/off port options?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that's what I meant.

We ended up booking vision of the seas 12 nights from Barcelona.

This gave us a lot of good ports in the med to see, plus we used our free cruise voucher from the canceled radiance cruise that made it a very cheap med cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Three music itineraries with sailings from Sydney to the Pacific Islands:

Cruisin’ Country Pacific Island - set sail from Sydney 9 October onboard the Radiance of the Seas for seven nights of traditional and contemporary Australian country music including performances from John Williamson, Troy Cassar-Daley, Tania Kernaghan plus many more, with prices starting from $1299

Cruise n Groove Pacific Island - depart the 6 November on Radiance of the Seas for seven nights of 50's and 60's “Elvis Meets the Legends” themed-entertainment, with packages from $1248

Rock the Boat Pacific Island - cruise from the 21 to 28 October with a line up that features the ten-time multi-platinum superstars, 'Foreigner', The Romantics, Russell Morris and over 35 other artists, with packages from $1248

Sale ends midnight Saturday.

Three music itineraries with sailings from Sydney to the Pacific Islands:

Cruisin’ Country Pacific Island - set sail from Sydney 9 October onboard the Radiance of the Seas for seven nights of traditional and contemporary Australian country music including performances from John Williamson, Troy Cassar-Daley, Tania Kernaghan plus many more, with prices starting from $1299

Cruise n Groove Pacific Island - depart the 6 November on Radiance of the Seas for seven nights of 50's and 60's “Elvis Meets the Legends” themed-entertainment, with packages from $1248

Rock the Boat Pacific Island - cruise from the 21 to 28 October with a line up that features the ten-time multi-platinum superstars, 'Foreigner', The Romantics, Russell Morris and over 35 other artists, with packages from $1248

Sale ends midnight Saturday.

I did one of the early music cruises, it was great, Ross Wilson, Glenn Sharock, jo jo zep, Mark Brady, Lisa Edwards.

Best bit was getting to sit and have a chat with a few of them.

London To Sydney

15 October 2018

47 Nights

Astor

Twin From $2,520 pp

This price is insane!!!!!!!!

I wonder where you found this price???

CMV has interior cabins listed at $5,039pp (down from $11,329pp)

It’s a shame we can’t mention TAs or 3rd Party sites on here.

I had a google and found it just by typing in the details as posted, eg date - london to sydney - name of ship

AstorCabin Code:IG

Cruise Code:CMV-A9SY1Cabin Type:Voyager Inner (Guaranteed)

Departing:London Tilbury

Departure Date:15/10/2018

Nights:47

Your cost summary and payment information twin share

Your Cabin Fare:$5,039.00 total price

Or ocean view

AstorCabin Code:OG

Cruise Code:CMV-A9SY1Cabin Type:Voyager Ocean View (Guaranteed)

Your cost summary and payment information

Your Cabin Fare:$5,999.00 (total price)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are quite a few Oz sites that deal with cruising.

I had a google and found it just by typing in the details as posted, eg date - london to sydney - name of ship

AstorCabin Code:IG

Cruise Code:CMV-A9SY1Cabin Type:Voyager Inner (Guaranteed)

Your cost summary and payment information twin share

Your Cabin Fare:$5,039.00 total price

Or ocean view

AstorCabin Code:OG

Cruise Code:CMV-A9SY1Cabin Type:Voyager Ocean View (Guaranteed)

Your cost summary and payment information

Your Cabin Fare:$5,999.00 (total price)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are quite a few Oz sites that deal with cruising.

Thanks. I found it, now.

Wow! One wonders if this is a typo or a "bait and switch" especially as the cruiseline's own site has it listed as double this price.

A couple of years ago I tried to book a great deal through an online cruise TA and they wouldn’t honour the price as it was "a typo". :eek: It would be interesting to hear if anyone manages to book at this price.

Unfortunately DW & I can’t get away for that length of time or at such short notice. She suggested that we retire (we’re only in our mid 40s) and I said that we would need an income stream!

Not to worry, only 12 days until we take our bargain cruise on the Carnival Spirit.

Thanks. I found it, now.

Wow! One wonders if this is a typo or a "bait and switch" especially as the cruiseline's own site has it listed as double this price.

A couple of years ago I tried to book a great deal through an online cruise TA and they wouldn’t honour the price as it was "a typo". :eek: It would be interesting to hear if anyone manages to book at this price.

Unfortunately DW & I can’t get away for that length of time or at such short notice. She suggested that we retire (we’re only in our mid 40s) and I said that we would need an income stream!

Not to worry, only 12 days until we take our bargain cruise on the Carnival Spirit.

Most definitely bookable.

Great opportunity for those with the time and $$$.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Research is the key, constantly check prices, look out for sales. Compare the prices against Online agencies, TAs and direct with HAL. Also look at overseas Agencies but make sure you factor in currency conversions, and fee and taxes.

London To Sydney

15 October 2018

47 Nights

Astor

Twin From $2,520 pp

This price is insane!!!!!!!!

Thanks Embl Sure was insane!

Don't expect anyone actually manage to book this as I doubt it would have been honoured.

Looks like someone made a mistake and made the two for one price the total cost.

Would have grabbed it but was too late seeing the post