Freeport is a hidden gem of cruising.

vettecruiser1

Freeport gets a bad rap because people are afraid to go any where but port lucaya. Venture farther down the road. We just went to banana bay and it was pure bliss. A mile of beach with maybe 10 people on it and a great restaurant. Sand is super soft and if the tide is out get ready to find sand dollars. As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will prove it. The whole day including meal for 3, plenty of drinks and the best conch fritters I have ever had for under $130. The only people we ran into were the European locals that live on the island. It totally reminded me of cruising 20 years ago before the ports got packed, with mega ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cab was $25 payable when he came to pick us back up. Yes chairs are available $4 each, no umbrellas. The restaurant has a great shaded wooden deck for, they did not mind us taking one of the picnic tables for the day. Keep in mind certain things are more expensive then others. We did only rum drinks under $5 each and conch fritters and jerk chicken plates. Except the boy wanted a hamburger which was cheap also. Like I said it reminded of back when cruising was more about finding unique things to do and not doing what the masses are doing.

You can look up Banana Bay Freeport on Trip advisor. Just giving my 2 cents since everyone says you need a ship excursion in Freeport and there is nothing to do. This was the best thing we have done in a long time for true serenity. Also their is a place at the north west side of the island called The West End. If we would have had time we would have checked it out also but it was 40 minute drive in the other direction.

Cab was $25 payable when he came to pick us back up.

This place looks great.

Did you negotiate paying after ride back to port up front?

How long was the taxi ride to get to Banana Bay?

Did you notice was there taxis available to get back to the ship if for some reason your taxi didn't return?

Was there a cost to enter the beach or was it must buy food/drink?

Just asked the taxi when we got off ship how much to banana bay. They are hurting for tourism so when he said $25 I said sold. The ride is about 25 minutes. They will not be taxi out there but the hostess/ waitress had a phone and said if he did not come back she could get us away back to the port, but the taxi guy came back he was wanting to get paid. No charge to use their beach but they do expect you to eat or drink at their restaurant, trust me the food is great and the Bahamas mamas were tasty. Just expect service to be slow since you are in the Bahamas mon.

Freeport gets a bad rap because people are afraid to go any where but port lucaya. Venture farther down the road. We just went to banana bay and it was pure bliss. A mile of beach with maybe 10 people on it and a great restaurant. Sand is super soft and if the tide is out get ready to find sand dollars. As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will prove it. The whole day including meal for 3, plenty of drinks and the best conch fritters I have ever had for under $130. The only people we ran into were the European locals that live on the island. It totally reminded me of cruising 20 years ago before the ports got packed, with mega ships

Wow your description sounds amazing and right up my families alley. That being said we arrive in Freeport at around 7 am and leave at 1:30. I would be up for taking the family over to the Bananna Bay but my problem is that the restaraunt does not open until noon. By that time we will be heading back towards the ship. Any ideas or opinions about my situation? Thanks in advance, any and all information is welcomed.

Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience!

I will be cruising to Freeport at the end of October with a group of 6 and Banana Bay sounds like an amazing place to spend our time.

Do you recall if they take credit cards or should we take cash?

Also, with there being 6 of us do you remember if there are any taxi's that are vans or mini buses that would go to Banana Bay?

We got there at 11:00 and the place was open. Sorry don't have anything else to offer, your short day kinda limits your options.

So just realized it opens at 10 so ho early we could get there a little early and then just order when they open. That being said I noticed you said you paid $25 to get there. On TripAdvisor someone mentioned $80 for 3 people what am I missing? Was the $25 from the Freeport cruise terminal or somewhere else? Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$25 was what the taxi told me when I asked. There are no posted prices, if he would have said $80 it would be a tough call. The place is amazing just for it’s serenity. Guess I got a good deal! Remember these people are hurting for tourism dollars since not many cruise ships call there any more.

Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience!

I will be cruising to Freeport at the end of October with a group of 6 and Banana Bay sounds like an amazing place to spend our time.

Do you recall if they take credit cards or should we take cash?

Also, with there being 6 of us do you remember if there are any taxi's that are vans or mini buses that would go to Banana Bay?

Yes some taxi are cars and some are vans. We had a car. Yes I paid with my credit card at banana bay, no issues. The Bahamas dollar is 1 to 1 with US dollar. Paid in cash $4 for each beach chair.

$25 was what the taxi told me when I asked. There are no posted prices, if he would have said $80 it would be a tough call. The place is amazing just for it’s serenity. Guess I got a good deal! Remember these people are hurting for tourism dollars since not many cruise ships call there any more.

So you went from Freeport cruise terminal for $25?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct, it was about a 25 minute ride from the terminal. Told him to come back at a set time and he did that is when we paid him. Therefore he was not our guide for the day, he could go back and get more fares. He was not aggressive or anything. When we were dropped off, we talked a little the lady running the restaurant and she said not to worry about getting back to the ship. If he did not come back she could get us a ride. She was just excited that we came to enjoy their place. At lunch I would say about 20 European locals showed up for lunch, walk dogs on beach. Then a little later an excursion showed up on segways, there was about 10 of them they stayed for an hour then there leader told them they had to go and most of them complained about just wanting to stay there until the end of there time. This was the most crowded it felt all day since about 35 people total was there. I will let my pictures in the post tell my thoughts. This is a paradise that is hard to find.

Now that I think about more I would have easily paid $50 just to get there, and knowing how peaceful this place is $80 is not sounding bad either. You are still not going to spend a ton at the restaurant unless you drink your a fair amount. The rum punch and Bahamas mamas where about $5 each.