Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

I'm not at all sure that I'm doing this correctly. If I'm not please re-direct me.

How do I subscribe to this thread?

I want to contact rosethorn40 for some questions. How do I contact her privately?

Thank you in advance and this thread is valuable.

I'm not at all sure that I'm doing this correctly. If I'm not please re-direct me.

How do I subscribe to this thread?

I want to contact rosethorn40 for some questions. How do I contact her privately?

Thank you in advance and this thread is valuable.

Hi, Maliboo.

Cruise Critic does not have a private messaging function.

You may find that your account is set to automatically subscribe you to any thread that you post to (a green circled on any thread in the thread list means you are subscribed). If you are working from a computer, I can explain how to do it manually but if you are using an app, I am clueless.

If you are reading this on your computer screen, scroll up to the top of the page, where you will see two drop down menus on the side above Posting Rules, click on thread tool and choose "Subscribe to this thread" (if it says "Unsubscribe from this thread", you are already subscribed). If it asks you for your choice of notification, choose daily (no new posts in a day, no notification).

Here also are instructions for managing subscriptions:

All done from User Control Panel. These instructions are for desktop users. (For those who don't know where to find, Control Panel, find your user name in the blue band at the top of the page and click on the down arrow).

To change existing subscription, choose List Subscriptions (on the left side). Click on the check box for each of the subscriptions you want to change on that page of the list and then scroll down to the action list at the bottom of the page. Click on the down arrow and chose from the list. Click GO. You can only do one page at a time. (You can use this same method to delete old subscriptions or to otherwise organize your subscriptions).

To change the default mode going forward (or to stop automatically being subscribed to every thread you post on), choose Edit Options and scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode. Click the arrow to the right of the current setting and choose from the drop down menu.

We sailed from Avignon in 2013 and Pont du Gard was not part of the northbound itinerary. As our arrival in Marseille was early in the day of embarkation I asked if Viking could arrange a trip to see it. I was given the email address for the ship and the Concierge (I have forgotten her name) was most gracious in arranging for a cab to take me to Pont du Gard. The driver stayed with me the entire time and treated me like royalty but being the arrival day, the time zones caught up with me and it was exhausting. Your suggestion to arrive a few days early is definitely the way to go!

The older I get, the more useless I am on day one. Arriving early is becoming more and more of a necessity rather than an indulgence.

For those who might want to try to to Ponte du Gard on their own (and there is now an optional tour listed), do you remember what it cost you?

My friend and I are doing Paris and the Heart of Normandy starting on August 24. We are spending an extra day in Paris after the cruise. Neither of us have ever done a river cruise. Can't wait!!

Have a great trip. If you have any questions, please ask.

Just booked Paris and the Heart of Normandy for September 2019. Our last trip to Paris was in September 2012 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I planned the trip for nine months and it was amazing. Looking forward to returning.

We are frequent cruisers, having done at least one a year since 2001 - this will be our first river cruise. Expecting a totally different experience.

Terpsfan1 - I will be eagerly awaiting your comments on this cruise after you return!

Just booked Paris and the Heart of Normandy for September 2019. Our last trip to Paris was in September 2012 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I planned the trip for nine months and it was amazing. Looking forward to returning.

We are frequent cruisers, having done at least one a year since 2001 - this will be our first river cruise. Expecting a totally different experience.

Robin - happy to hear you booked the Paris and Heart of Normandy river cruise. I know that September 2019 sounds like a long way off, but the time fly by especially if you start researching tours and ports now.

Ron

My friend and I are doing Paris and the Heart of Normandy starting on August 24. We are spending an extra day in Paris after the cruise. Neither of us have ever done a river cruise. Can't wait!!

Once back from your cruise, can you report on the brand/quality of house wines they pour free of charge at meals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robin - happy to hear you booked the Paris and Heart of Normandy river cruise. I know that September 2019 sounds like a long way off, but the time fly by especially if you start researching tours and ports now.

Ron

Ron, I hope you will report back when you return from France's Finest later this summer.

VERY interested in the Paris to Normandy cruise portion. Three generations of family going next "summah" as they say in Boston. HS kids fluent in French. It's my worst European language attempt. Had them watch "Band of Brothers".

VERY interested in the Paris to Normandy cruise portion. Three generations of family going next "summah" as they say in Boston. HS kids fluent in French. It's my worst European language attempt. Had them watch "Band of Brothers".

Sounds like it is going to be a marvelous adventure for all.

Are you doing a private tour in Normandy and if so, how are you dealing with the two hour drive from the ship to the touring area?

With permission from the author. CharTrav is currently posting live from France's Finest. You can follow the whole conversation in the roll call All Viking France's Finest 2018 starting at post #56 but I will be posting the narrative here.

Actually this is for 3 days. Yesterday we were in Avignon and did the included walking tour and then the optional Chateau Neuf du Pape wine tasting. Note that on our first evening in Avignon we did a quickie run up to the Pont de Avignon and scooted back to our berthing. Long enough to have some songs about the bridge and take pictures.

The walking tour was good. Lots of walking including what was billed as the many steps of the Pope's Palace. If you didn't feel up to doing the Pope's Palace and its complicated set of stairs they had a version of the walking tour that didn't include it. A lot of information provided in an intense way but done very well. Avignon is in the midst of preparations for a big festival (as are many of the towns&cities across France). This was in addition to Bastille Day on Saturday (today as I'm writing this). Overall I was pretty happy with the tour. The weather was sunny, clear, and definitely hot.

The wine tasting is new and with one of the major wineyards in the Château du Neuf region (Famille Perrin). Viking now has an arrangement with them to supply them with wine too. The drive there was not that long. We were met outside at the wineyard with a glass of their white wine - not sold outside of France btw - and introduced to how the system there works. Then we went inside and given a complete tour of their facilities, receiving samples of wine along the way (told to keep our glass with us throughout) and concluded with a wine tasting lesson using various vintage years of the same red wine. After that we left and drove over to the nearby fort that the ****s had used as their base during WWII and then nearly demolished before they were forced to abandon it. The tour ended in the town of where we were left on our own for a bit. Many gravitated to the store associated with the Vineyard we'd been to, where we did more tasting and my husband asked about the procedure for ordering their wine for delivery. The tour guide was great. Knowledgeable and funny. Taught us some French songs too.

That evening we cruised up to Tarascon (pronounced with a hard btw) where we spent the night. Our betting was not close at all to Arles so no way to just pop off the ship and go touring on your own. The next day I did the Arles in Depth on Foot while Steve did the all day Unspoiled Carmague. I'll have to ask him what he thought of it altho from what I've heard him tell others he is was reasonably happy with it albeit with one or the caveats. For me, the day in Arles was another hot informative day. Note that all the excursions were sent off the boat by 9 after which the ship cruised back to Avignon.

For me the walking tour in Arles was quite good and again enlivened by the local tour guide who met folks she knew along the way. Altho Viking promised us a light lunch when we returned to the ship at about 2:45 I decided that was too long and found a restaurant near the Rhône where I managed with my fumbling spoken French and pretty good ability to read French to order a light lunch.

After we all got back including the folks who'd done the longer excursions that day there was a reception for the Explorer's Society during which the boat departed Avignon for Viviers arriving sometime before we got up the next day.

I did the 90 min early next walking tour in Viviers while Steve is doing the all day Charming Ardeche. In honor of Bastille Day, all our guides were dressed in medieval outfits. And ours at least (probably all of them) live in Viviers which makes the commentary so much more valuable. Lots of walking on cobblestone with some very steep inclines. The guide was both memorable and knowledgable. About an hour after we returmed to the ship, we were underway. We'll have a quick stop in La Voulte-sur-Rhône to pick up the Ardeche folks and then continue.

Thus endeth my report. Looking forward to seeing fireworks tonight somewhere.

ChartTrav's narrative. If you have questions to ask CharTrav or want to follow the Q&A, here is the link to the original thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2600730&page=4:

Hubby returned from Ardeche excursion with a bag of lavender things - oils, honey, and apricot jam. Says about the half the time was on the bus but what they saw when they weren't on the bus was pretty cool.

Last night we arrived in Tournon along with our sister ship the Viking Heimdal (We're on the Delling). Docked alongside each other, we watched a pretty spectacular fireworks display that seemed to be done from a bridge just south of us. What a show! Lasted at least 20 minutes with more colors than I've seen in the states - the usual white and red of course but also blue and green. They also did an interesting thing where they had fireworks streaming like multiple waterfalls off the bridge. Every time I thought they must be done, there was another blast culminating with a ginormous cannonade, the kind you feel in your body. I think everybody was on the sun deck, well fueled with wine from the evening cheese tasting and a sparkling wine they handed out to all topside.

We'll be sharing our morning excursions with the Heimdal folks today. After folks leave the ship for the walking tour and steam train in Tournon, the Delling will leave us and meet us again in Andance (after which we'll proceed to Vienne). The question for us in the afternoon will be whether to do the walking tour in Vienne or stay onboard so we can watch the World Cup game from the very beginning (starts at 5 and the walking tour ends at 5). Mmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

This time I think I've proofread this thing better, so you're not left wondering what I really meant to say rather than what I actually wrote. I read over what I posted yesterday and was horrified at all the little "typos" scattered within. Hopefully the context was enough to allow you to translate my odd words correctly.
emoji79.png

I'm trying to get my hands on The Longest Day.

Once back from your cruise, can you report on the brand/quality of house wines they pour free of charge at meals?

Absolutely! I am also hoping to pick up a few bottles at some of the stops. I understand that you are allowed to bring it on board, unlike ocean cruises.

Absolutely! I am also hoping to pick up a few bottles at some of the stops. I understand that you are allowed to bring it on board, unlike ocean cruises.

Actually, Viking has a very liberal BYO policy on its all of its ships, river and ocean. They actually encourage us to sample the local wines, beers and spirits and to bring them aboard. There is no corkage fee in the dining room. There is no need to hide your drink in a sippy cup if you want to drink it in the lounge. The bartenders will give you whatever glasses you need. It is just all very civilized.

Truth be told, the house wines can change from cruise to cruise. While there will be a red and a white each night, there will be a handful of different wines offered over the course of the cruise.

Truth be told, the house wines can change from cruise to cruise. While there will be a red and a white each night, there will be a handful of different wines offered over the course of the cruise.

All the previous post are accurate! Bring onboard your packages of beer, wine, spirits without fear of a pour out or confiscation. Quite civilized on Viking. i hadn't realized it also applied to Viking Ocean cruises. We will have to try them. It is getting closer to flying and boarding by the day.

Cheers.....Rob & Val:):hearteyes::cool:

All the previous post are accurate! Bring onboard your packages of beer, wine, spirits without fear of a pour out or confiscation. Quite civilized on Viking. i hadn't realized it also applied to Viking Ocean cruises. We will have to try them. It is getting closer to flying and boarding by the day.

Cheers.....Rob & Val:):hearteyes::cool:

Yes, quite civilized. It is so nice being treated as an adult.

Yes, quite civilized. It is so nice being treated as an adult.

To emphasize, Viking policies are uniform (and sane) across River and Ocean. With respect to wine you bring on board, such as purchased on an excursion, you can even ask the waiter for your dinner table to open and pour it for you. Tres civilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Continuing CharTrav's travelogue:

Am now on the Rinda. But will first cover the excursions on the Rhône.

*Vienne*

Husband Steve did the walking tour in Vienne and had nothing bad to say about it except to acknowledge that the town was preparing for the World Cup to be broadcast in all the bars and everybody else in the city Coliseum (I chose to be a bum and stay onboard to soak up zen and sun). Some of the folks who did the walking tour watched the game in the Coliseum and miracles of miracles made it back to the boat intact. Had been told that tickets couldn't be had for any price but went up to the ticket counter anyway and were admitted for free (nosebleed seats tho). For us on the ship, a good chunk of us were in the lounge watching the game aided and abetted by our program director, proudly running around waving the French flag after every goal. And then the French won! Well....pandemonium! Both inside and later outside the ship as all the fans from the Coliseum came boiling down the hill to the road intersection nearly in front of us. Such jubilation! After dinner we watched the continuing craziness from the safety of the sun deck.

Lyon Day 1

Next day in Lyon, Steve did Beaujolais and Truffles (all day) and I did the included Beaujolais Wine Country in the morning nd optional Secrets of the Château de Fléchère in the afternoon. Both involved significant (1hr) bus time out and back but were in my opinion worth it. In the mornig, our guide was a fellow named John who I swear reduced most of us to quiet tears as he told us about the experience of that region during WWII, which was part of Vichy (Free) France. He told us about how quickly France had fallen, helped along by Vichy who then became the leader of Vichy France. How all was pretty peaceful albeit not great for a few years and then heated up again when the Vermacht reoccupied it. How they worked to save the local Jewish population from being rounded up; how many they had helped to reach Switzerland. And the growth of the Resistance and the part those from Lyon played in it. Ending with heartfelt thanks to the American liberators who arrived from the South. We were all moved by his words.

Upon arrival in the town (Fleurie?) we were given some free time to wander about and then it was off to Château des Ravatys where we received an excellent introduction to Beaujolais wines starting with an introduction to the vines themselves and then taking us inside where it's made and of course plying us with different vintages of wine, as well as, a comparison between those made from grapes on the flat soft soil and those from the harder mountain soil (called terroir)

During the afternoon trip to the Château de Fléchères we learned about a house that had been built originally to provide a safe place for Protestants to worship (on the third floor) and later, after the govt policy winds shifted towards only allowing Roman Catholics, was converted to just a plain but very large house (with the Apostle's Creed above the door chiseled enough to damage it but not enough for those who knew what it was not to recognize it). The secret part is that when it was built all the rooms had frescos on the walls. All of them. Sometime in the 1800s, a family bought it and either plastered over the frescos or covered them with paneling. When they lost or sold the house (think the former), the next buyer wanted to convert the thing to a hotel or some such. When that effort was thwarted by that person's own architect, backed up by the local town, the poor thing sat for years falling into decay. Finally a team of buyers came along and is in the process of restoring it including the most difficult job of restoring all the frescoes in each room to something approaching their original glory. The ones covered by paneling were the easiest. The ones plastered over or...gasp!...painted over in yellow when it was used as the set for a famous movie whose name I can't remember...those will be the hardest. But they've made inroads on both the yellow paint and plaster. I think the trip was worth it. The guide was very knowledgable about the project and the primary owner, who met us and through our guide as interpreter, answered any question we had. He also treated us to local sparkling wine (orange juice or water for those who didn't want the alcohol) and sweet treats.

Lyon Day 2 - tomorrow

Booked on France's Finest beginning March 26, 2019. Anyone else????

Ronni, there are two March 26 cruises, so are you starting in Paris or Avignon? If you are starting Paris on the Rinda, then we will see you there for the first half of your cruise and last half of ours.

In any case, come join the roll call where we can chit-chat.

ALL 2019 Viking FRANCE'S FINEST