Does Princess provide CART (captioning) for the deaf?

skoeper

Hi, we have a group of 8 (so far) sailing on the Royal Princess and most of this group has a hearing loss. Some profound, some moderate. This is our very first time ever sailing Princess. We've been sailing Celebrity, which we LOVE, but have decided to try something new.

Celebrity always provides us with a CART typist (a captionist) at our request. This typist types out what is said in the muster drill and any shows/talks/games that we request. On our recent cruise 2 weeks ago, the CART typist even went on a excursion with us on a catamaran and typed what was said as we did a coastal tour.

Does anyone know if Princess provides this service as well? It could be a make/break situation if they don't. We still have time, haven't made final payment but we are really, really hoping they will provide this service so we can try out a new cruiseline :)

~ Shari

Hi, we have a group of 8 (so far) sailing on the Royal Princess and most of this group has a hearing loss. Some profound, some moderate. This is our very first time ever sailing Princess. We've been sailing Celebrity, which we LOVE, but have decided to try something new.

Celebrity always provides us with a CART typist (a captionist) at our request. This typist types out what is said in the muster drill and any shows/talks/games that we request. On our recent cruise 2 weeks ago, the CART typist even went on a excursion with us on a catamaran and typed what was said as we did a coastal tour.

Does anyone know if Princess provides this service as well? It could be a make/break situation if they don't. We still have time, haven't made final payment but we are really, really hoping they will provide this service so we can try out a new cruiseline :)

~ Shari

Shari, you might find this useful:

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Access-Makes-Cruise-Vacations-Accessible-For-Passengers-With-Disabilities.html

I would definitely contact Princess. They may have an office that deals with disabilities.

~ Shari

Does Celebrity always have a resident CART typist onboard, or only upon your request? Was there an extra fee? Just curious as I have a relative who is also hearing-impaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP please come back after you find out the CART information and share it here. As a person with profound hearing loss myself, (and who's absolutely terrible at ASL), this would make me want to try Princess even more if it's available on their ships.

You already have me wanting to look at Celebrity now as I never knew they provided that service. And on excursions too. Wow. That opens up a whole new world of cruising for me!