Couldn't help myself.....Bar Hop!!

mrsfuzzmo

very interested in this option for Cozumel. We LOVE the "other side" of the island. favs are coconuts and playa bonita. what tour has anyone taken for this? is it cruise ship sponsored or on the island?

apologies....should have read the entire thread. good information and will be checking out the tours!

very interested in this option for Cozumel. We LOVE the "other side" of the island. favs are coconuts and playa bonita. what tour has anyone taken for this? is it cruise ship sponsored or on the island?

Thanks for the recommendations. I havent heard of the Playa Bonita one, so thank you so much for the tip.

We book our cozumel excursions with cozumel cruise excursions dot net, who we have been using for years and they are a local family business. We dont book with the cruise lines anymore because we dont want to do caravan tours, and never really had that great of a time. Whether you do the bar hope tour or private jeep tour, their guides are really good. I would recommend Gizmo for the bar hop and Israel for the private jeep tour.

Our favorite part of the island is the other side too. Israel said it best, "its like taking a step back in time". I dont know to many places where theres just natural beach front without development. I also recommend, checking out some of their hidden beaches. You have to go off the beaten path for 10 minutes, and its deep into the jungle but the beaches are secluded and beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for posting this link. I went on trip advisor and they have great reviews. I think we are booking this.

Keep in mind the link you provide is not the Bar Hop discussed by most on this thread, not sure which one you are reading about on TripAdvisor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the Cozumel Bar Hop Party Bus and all of us were really disappointed. First of all it was boring, no music, the music didn't get started until the last bar we stopped at. Until then we had to listen how the guide moved from Canada to Cozumel. There were six in our party, all of us were looking forward to this only to be let down. Plan on spending another fifty bucks too cause at the first few stops beers were 4 dollars and mixed were 12 dollars a piece. Food and snacks was expensive too all except the 3rd bar which had 250 beer. There was no party going on own our bus!! Oh the drinks you get at each stop was a joke!! Not real drinks that they sell!!

All together we spent over 500 for the six of us, had we gotten a private van and driver for the day, we could have gotten to see more and for a whole lot cheaper.

We just returned from the Cozumel Bar Hop Party Bus and all of us were really disappointed. First of all it was boring, no music, the music didn't get started until the last bar we stopped at. Until then we had to listen how the guide moved from Canada to Cozumel. There were six in our party, all of us were looking forward to this only to be let down. Plan on spending another fifty bucks too cause at the first few stops beers were 4 dollars and mixed were 12 dollars a piece. Food and snacks was expensive too all except the 3rd bar which had 250 beer. There was no party going on own our bus!! Oh the drinks you get at each stop was a joke!! Not real drinks that they sell!!

All together we spent over 500 for the six of us, had we gotten a private van and driver for the day, we could have gotten to see more and for a whole lot cheaper.

As they say different strokes for different folks! I am sorry you didn’t enjoy the tour I remember the problems you had determining the start time and time differences.

However, I feel with a little more research your disappointments could have been alleviated. There are plenty of reviews on here and TripAdvisor which would have alerted you to the fact this is not generally a “party” bus, although it can vary to some extent from day-to-day depending on your “bus mates”. I have often stated that I think the title of the tour is misleading because I think it puts off many people who would actually enjoy it. In your case, you felt mislead because you didn’t get a party bus, however, as I said, just a little research would have told you that. Incidentally the tour is called, Cozumel Bar Hop.

The included drinks are clearly described on the website so there should have been no surprises there, sorry if you were expecting “straight” shots but that is not what is described. I do agree prices on the east side are not as cheap as in days gone by. Lack of electricity and the need for generators, and the “relative” increase in popularity of the east side has caused prices to increase and whilst there are certainly better bargains to be found, probably not at the mainstream tourist bars of the west side.

I hope you enjoyed the tour round the island and could appreciate the wild side away from the busy tourist side of the island? I highly recommend your group hire a private driver next time. We have done both, and enjoyed both several times. We enjoy the company of traveling with the group and for two people the Bar Hop is a cost effective way of traveling round the island. We also enjoy the flexibility of having a private driver, both as a couple and as a group, and it is nice to set your own schedule and pick your own bars.

Edited by c-leg5

As they say different strokes for different folks! I am sorry you didn’t enjoy the tour I remember the problems you had determining the start time and time differences.

However, I feel with a little more research your disappointments could have been alleviated. There are plenty of reviews on here and TripAdvisor which would have alerted you to the fact this is not generally a “party” bus, although it can vary to some extent from day-to-day depending on your “bus mates”. I have often stated that I think the title of the tour is misleading because I think it puts off many people who would actually enjoy it. In your case, you felt mislead because you didn’t get a party bus, however, as I said, just a little research would have told you that. Incidentally the tour is called, Cozumel Bar Hop.

The included drinks are clearly described on the website so there should have been no surprises there, sorry if you were expecting “straight” shots but that is not what is described. I do agree prices on the east side are not as cheap as in days gone by. Lack of electricity and the need for generators, and the “relative” increase in popularity of the east side has caused prices to increase and whilst there are certainly better bargains to be found, probably not at the mainstream tourist bars of the west side.

I hope you enjoyed the tour round the island and could appreciate the wild side away from the busy tourist side of the island? I highly recommend your group hire a private driver next time. We have done both, and enjoyed both several times. We enjoy the company of traveling with the group and for two people the Bar Hop is a cost effective way of traveling round the island. We also enjoy the flexibility of having a private driver, both as a couple and as a group, and it is nice to set your own schedule and pick your own bars.

Boy I wish we had rented a private driver, I've never been around a more boring group. They should change the name, there is nothing "Partying" about it! The guide was like a mother hen walking around, she was about as ignoring as they come! Plus the so called bus was more like a van and it was hot although it wasn't all that hot outside side a couple days ago.

We have been over to that side of the island several times on our previous trips. There was another person (travel agent) not associated with our group who was off our ship that mentioned to us on our trek back to the ship that she was not at all impressed with it.

Next time it will be a private driver like our previous trips were, lesson learned!

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time with the Bar Hop. We have them booked for our April cruise.

We booked because we want to see the other side of the island and a few adult beverages.

Maybe a private tour would be better for ya'll next time. Of course private drivers could be boring too.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time with the Bar Hop. We have them booked for our April cruise.

We booked because we want to see the other side of the island and a few adult beverages.

Maybe a private tour would be better for ya'll next time. Of course private drivers could be boring too.

Yes because the Party Bus not only was a waste of money, nothing about it was fun. Oh, I and the others have learned our lesson!!! BORING!!! The guide spoke for 20 minutes about how she got to Cozumel from Canada , I don't really care how you got there! She was not fun at all!!! She walked around telling us how many minutes we had left, I'm an adult, if I'm not there leave me!!!! Don't need anyone blowing whistles at anyone!! What a joke this was!!!

We always use plaza tours and love them. We get a private car or van. Our usual stops are Bob Marley regee bar, Playa Bonita for lunch and then Coconuts. Just a fyi other side of island doesn't have power so no credit cards.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We always use plaza tours and love them. We get a private car or van. Our usual stops are Bob Marley regee bar, Playa Bonita for lunch and then Coconuts. Just a fyi other side of island doesn't have power so no credit cards.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We have used ToursPlaza many times too, and we have done the Bar Hop, and enjoyed both for different reasons. The bars you mention are all on the bar hop plus Punta Morena, one of our favorites.

I don’t think TSUmom has a problem with her choice of the Bar Hop, and I hope she enjoys it. It is an economical way for a couple to see the other side and not have to worry about drinking and driving.

We have used ToursPlaza many times too, and we have done the Bar Hop, and enjoyed both for different reasons. The bars you mention are all on the bar hop plus Punta Morena, one of our favorites.

I don’t think TSUmom has a problem with her choice of the Bar Hop, and I hope she enjoys it. It is an economical way for a couple to see the other side and not have to worry about drinking and driving.

Correct, we have no problem with our decision. Infact this has been one of the first reviews I have read that was not a positive one. Most have enjoyed their experience.

Will be leaving this Sunday on the NCL Getaway and was looking at our spreadsheet, which stated Bar Hop meet at Sr Frogs but my reservation stated Hooters, I quickly asked, to see why we were at different meets... to make a long story short, I just found out that where I booked was a different place, so make sure if this is MUST to be with your CC members on your sail, make sure everybody got the SAME Tour Company. I booked with cozumel cruise excursions.com below you can see the differences:

THEIRS cozumel bar hop.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OURS cozumel cruise excursions.com

FREE Tshirt ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NO FREE Tshirt =(

$57~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $55 =)

ROUTES (ALL East Side)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (West & East Side)

Punta Morena Restaurant~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```` Private Beach Club

Cocunuts Bar & Grill~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mirador Coconut Hut

Playa Bonita Restaurant & Bar~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````` Coconuts Bar & Grill on the Hill Punta Sur Park

NO LUNCH El Mirador Rastas/Celerin~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LUNCH @ Punta Punta Morena Beach Bar =)

+Cab Fare to get to Sr Frogs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No cab needed, meet @ Hooters below the Mall

Will be leaving this Sunday on the NCL Getaway and was looking at our spreadsheet, which stated Bar Hop meet at Sr Frogs but my reservation stated Hooters, I quickly asked, to see why we were at different meets... to make a long story short, I just found out that where I booked was a different place, so make sure if this is MUST to be with your CC members on your sail, make sure everybody got the SAME Tour Company. I booked with cozumel cruise excursions.com below you can see the differences:

THEIRS cozumel bar hop.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OURS cozumel cruise excursions.com

FREE Tshirt ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NO FREE Tshirt =(

$57~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $55 =)

ROUTES (ALL East Side)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (West & East Side)

Punta Morena Restaurant~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```` Private Beach Club

Cocunuts Bar & Grill~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mirador Coconut Hut

Playa Bonita Restaurant & Bar~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````` Coconuts Bar & Grill on the Hill Punta Sur Park

NO LUNCH El Mirador Rastas/Celerin~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LUNCH @ Punta Punta Morena Beach Bar =)

+Cab Fare to get to Sr Frogs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No cab needed, meet @ Hooters below the Mall

It has been discussed earlier in this thread there are two “Bar Hops” with very similar and confusing titles, the original (that the OP was recommending)

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

and the other one

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-bar-hop-tour.html

I have to say I find it very difficult to follow your comparisons but now that you have brought this up again I am wondering if RVman thought he was booking the second?

I don’t understand from your table why you think Senor Frogs requires a taxi and Hooters doesn’t? They are next to each other near Punta Langosta. You don’t need a taxi to either if you dock in San Miguel, you need a taxi to both from the southern piers.

It has been discussed earlier in this thread there are two “Bar Hops” with very similar and confusing titles, the original (that the OP was recommending)

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

and the other one

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-bar-hop-tour.html

I have to say I find it very difficult to follow your comparisons but now that you have brought this up again I am wondering if RVman thought he was booking the second?

I don’t understand from your table why you think Senor Frogs requires a taxi and Hooters doesn’t? They are next to each other near Punta Langosta. You don’t need a taxi to either if you dock in San Miguel, you need a taxi to both from the southern piers.

OH, my bad, yes, it has to do where your ship docks, if you're familiar with the area, I guess you may be right but I think if I remember, at our Roll Call forum, it mentioned from LANGOSTA dock, those from Bar Hop were told to meet them at Sr Frogs, needing a cab 7 min away but ours "excursion" bar hop will pick us up at Hooters at the mall... I don't understand what is difficult about my comparisons? One includes LUNCH, the other doesn't, one includes a Tshirt, the other doesn't, one tours the EAST side only, the other does both, one is a $2 difference and if you look yourself at their websites, there may be other differences. that may or NOT, make a difference to you... :D

OH, my bad, yes, it has to do where your ship docks, if you're familiar with the area, I guess you may be right but I think if I remember, at our Roll Call forum, it mentioned from LANGOSTA dock, those from Bar Hop were told to meet them at Sr Frogs, needing a cab 7 min away but ours "excursion" bar hop will pick us up at Hooters at the mall... I don't understand what is difficult about my comparisons? One includes LUNCH, the other doesn't, one includes a Tshirt, the other doesn't, one tours the EAST side only, the other does both, one is a $2 difference and if you look yourself at their websites, there may be other differences. that may or NOT, make a difference to you... :D

I understand your comparisons because I have done the Bar Hop,so am aware of what is included, and have read the website for the other group and tried to understand what is included there. I just thought the layout of the comparisons was confusing for someone who hadn’t done either.

The last review I read of the “excursions” tour said they used the new Beach bar “Tortugas” instead of the private club with swimming pool on the west side, so I am not sure how updated their website is of where they actually go. It would appear from their description that the tours go round the island in opposite directions so that is another difference.

Please report back and let us know about the tour as I have not read many reviews of that one and remember the bars will be cash only on the east side, whichever tour you are on.

I understand your comparisons because I have done the Bar Hop,so am aware of what is included, and have read the website for the other group and tried to understand what is included there. I just thought the layout of the comparisons was confusing for someone who hadn’t done either.

The last review I read of the “excursions” tour said they used the new Beach bar “Tortugas” instead of the private club with swimming pool on the west side, so I am not sure how updated their website is of where they actually go. It would appear from their description that the tours go round the island in opposite directions so that is another difference.

Please report back and let us know about the tour as I have not read many reviews of that one and remember the bars will be cash only on the east side, whichever tour you are on.

OH, ok... good to know... and yes will most probably will come back to leave reviews and have more details to share!

OH, ok... good to know... and yes will most probably will come back to leave reviews and have more details to share!

Please do post here to let us know if you enjoyed your bar hop. I am trying to decide which one to book for our cruise. :)