Internet Package Options Terrible!

luv4cruises

Celebrity used to offer a greater variety of plans before the recent switch to limited choices. The 250 mins for $99 sounds much more reasonable but we have not seen that on our recent cruises.

Our E + perks cover our needs, but feel bad those who need more

Just buy a cup of coffee or a drink at a bar or restaurant in port that has free WiFi. That’s what I did for years prior to buying on the ship and it served the purpose of checking email. This will be much cheaper for you anyway. Most ports have the free WiFi as well, so while I hear your frustration with the packages, this is a really simple fix. Enjoy your cruise!

Port wifi is helpful but some like to check on home, pets, children daily...so that only helps on port days...and when the port schedule permits time for locating a wifi cafe after excursions..

many pax need to print a boarding pass the day before disembarkation..often a sea day..$19.95 is expensive for just that...many hotels do it for free!

Port wifi is helpful but some like to check on home, pets, children daily...so that only helps on port days...and when the port schedule permits time for locating a wifi cafe after excursions..

many pax need to print a boarding pass the day before disembarkation..often a sea day..$19.95 is expensive for just that...many hotels do it for free!

Yes, I would suggest that is expensive just for printing a boarding pass.

The other option, may be, identify several others who are in the same predicament and chip in and go to the iLounge and have a printing field day....

For those of us with a smart phone, we can check-in and have boarding pass on our phone. This can be done once we are in port and not off the ship, so there is plenty of time to check in.

Those without smart phones, then you may be able to prevail upon the instructor in the iLounge to permit you to print out a boarding pass, not that it will work, but worth a try if one needs to check-in before heading to the airport, where many travelers check-in before heading to the gate...

bon voyage

You can always make a phone call. Super easy.

You can always make a phone call. Super easy.

How much is a phone call from the ship?

We have AT and T...but not an intl plan? E mailing works welll on the ship for us and we text in port or call if the port is in our plan...Never thought about calling from the ship..We thought it would be very expensive????

(We actually turn off & lock up our phones, unless going ashore...)

We have AT and T...but not an intl plan? E mailing works welll on the ship for us and we text in port or call if the port is in our plan...Never thought about calling from the ship..We thought it would be very expensive????

AT&T has cruise ship packages that start at $30 for 50 minutes of voice. They also have text and web packages. It was mentioned in the pre-cruise email celebrity just sent me. That being said, I have always just called from the phone in my room when I needed to call home.

I have a text from AT&T here are the prices on the ship - without a plan. The text reads:

Welcome Aboard! Please note your intl rates on this ship are: data $8.19/MB, talk $2.50/min, text $0.50 text msg sent, $1.30/photo or video msg sent. Cruise Ship pkgs may be avail depending on your ship. You may turn off data in your device Settings. For questions, call +1-214.547.2300 (a free call form this phone).

This is what happens when you forget to put your phone on airplane mode and/or don't turn if off completely when you hit the open waters.

I am in total agreement with the original poster. I like the idea of buying a couple of hours to last the length of the cruise. I do not need or want continuous coverage. Trying to locate wifi in port, and/or trying to determine passwords from cafes whose primary language is not English is time consuming and frustrating. I've done it. I'm going to rent or purchase a mobile hotspot at a much cheaper rate for my next international vacations. Much cheaper in the long run.

I don't disagree that the Wifi offers are overpriced and limited, but I see this one pop up a lot and don't really understand it. There are very few people who need to show up at the airport with a boarding pass in hand. With check-in on Southwest being an exception, you can use your phone, print a boarding pass at a kiosk, get one at curbside check-in or get one while you're checking your luggage.

I don't disagree that the Wifi offers are overpriced and limited, but I see this one pop up a lot and don't really understand it. There are very few people who need to show up at the airport with a boarding pass in hand. With check-in on Southwest being an exception, you can use your phone, print a boarding pass at a kiosk, get one at curbside check-in or get one while you're checking your luggage.

j - quite often, if you have the airline app on your phone, there is never a need to print out a boarding pass.

Some of the major limiting factors include: smartphone capacity, airline app and/or the ability to use both together.

bon voyage

Celebrity offers free 90 and 240 minute internet packages to Elite and Elite + cruisers. There may be more offered for purchase once you board.

check for a black Friday sale or deal once on board , Unlikely BUT I agree wifi or internet packages are so stupid on most cruises , including Celebrity

The $99 package for 250 mins was offered on The third or fourth day of our 10 day cruise last November. It is not mentioned until The daily on day 3, no signs anywhere...

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

What ship was this one? I'll keep a look out for it as I think we can be OK with the 250 minutes just to check in with family and friends and house sitter, pet sitter, etc. I hope it is offered on the Eclipse.

Honestly, I think the options are fine; the prices are a little absurd.

I never understood the concept of charging for data by the minute when the world charges for data by the MB or GB. Just plain silly. And, like I'm sure many folks on the board, I haven't paid for internet at a hotel in probably 10+ years; most hotel chains give you free internet just for joining their loyalty program, and I get free high speed for multiple devices at Marriott for loyalty status. The cruise equivalent would be free internet for probably Elite and higher. I suspect that will happen, eventually. There is an actual cost to the cruise line for connectivity; the infrastructure has probably been recouped long ago.

AND, I haven't actually printed a boarding pass, other than from an international location, in probably 8-10 years either. That's what the app is for. And if you are flying Southwest, just pay for the priority check-in so you don't have to be sitting at a computer terminal or on your app exactly 24 hours before your flight! Then download your boarding pass when you have cellular service again...

We fly frequently...mostly SW & buy Early Bird

..but we check in & print hard copy of the pass.. 24 hrs ahead, Worked well sev times, when those with the passes on their cell phones were sent back to get hard copy due to some computer mess up...we boarded while they went to print it out.,,

Not everything paperless is fool proof..diff strokes for diff folks!

AT&T has cruise ship packages that start at $30 for 50 minutes of voice. They also have text and web packages. It was mentioned in the pre-cruise email celebrity just sent me. That being said, I have always just called from the phone in my room when I needed to call home.

We will check that out...thanks

We fly frequently...mostly SW & buy Early Bird

..but we check in & print hard copy of the pass.. 24 hrs ahead, Worked well sev times, when those with the passes on their cell phones were sent back to get hard copy due to some computer mess up...we boarded while they went to print it out.,,

Not everything paperless is fool proof..diff strokes for diff folks!

You always have the option to print the pass at one of their kiosks. I'd certainly do that before paying $20 to print one on the ship.

What ship was this one? I'll keep a look out for it as I think we can be OK with the 250 minutes just to check in with family and friends and house sitter, pet sitter, etc. I hope it is offered on the Eclipse.
It was on Infinity, on a 10 day cruise. Constantly signing in and out was kind of a pain, but it served it's purpose.

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

You always have the option to print the pass at one of their kiosks. I'd certainly do that before paying $20 to print one on the ship.

If you do Early Bird on SWA, no need to check in 24 hours before or to print out boarding passes. Just wait until you get to the airport and go to a kiosk. There is no need to pay $20 to print out your boarding passes on the ship.

On our cruise, there was an option of $39.75 a day and they offered a mid-cruise special of $159. Both were for unlimited service.

many pax need to print a boarding pass the day before disembarkation..often a sea day.

I can't think of why anyone would NEED to print a boarding pass the day before disembarkation. Just wait and get it at the airport. And you don't need to wait til airport arrival to actually check in; you can do that over the phone as soon as the ship docks, and then if you feel you need printed passes, get them from an airport kiosk.

As for the "need" to stay in touch regarding work, family and pets on a daily basis, it's pretty easy to find free wi-fi in ports. If you can't, and or have sea days, you can usually send a text for .50 and receive one for free. Even on a two week cruise, you go easily check to make sure there are no emergencies with family or pets on daily basis for under $20 total. And if one truly NEEDS to keep in touch with work while on vacation, as in the job actually requires it, then one should submit the internet package cost on one's expense report.

Staying in touch with my family is very important to me when I cruise. In the past I have been able to buy enough minutes to be able to email, text, or FaceTime with them every few days without breaking the bank.

Celebrity’s new internet package offers unlimited for a 14/day cruise for 287.00, or 19.95 an hour, or 24.95 for 24 hours. None of these options address most cruisers’ needs. Do I want to be on the Internet for an hour straight, or for 24 hours when I’m on vacation? NO!

All I need is 5 -10 minutes a day to be in touch with my family

100-200 minutes would be perfect for me. Instead there is no reasonable choice to meet my needs.

Celebrity needs to go back to minutes for purchase that can be spread out throughout a cruise not compressed into a limited, short time period.

I hope that Princess and HAL have not discontinued blocks of internet minutes for purchase.

Was just on Princess and the lowest internet package was 200 minutes for $99. Many were complaining. On the last evening the Internet cafe was offering 15 minutes for $10.

Sent from my iPad using Forums