Labadee - Quiet - Amiga Island?

SeaStar86

I'm not an adrenaline junkie, so I'm not interested in zip-lining, jet skis, or coasters at Labadee. From looking at different posts and photos online, it seems Labadee has a theme-park feel to it. Is this true, or are there any quiet spots for sun and swim? Also, has anyone done the Amiga Island Experience excursion? It looks absolutely beautiful, but does come at a cost. Is it worth it to find some peace and beauty?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Been to Labadee 4 times - it's our favourite port!

Although the online excursions make it look like a "theme park" , it is not. There are plenty of loungers everywhere. Lots of shade. Lots of shopping. Lots of activities. But also, lots of relatively quiet areas where you can plop down and enjoy the weather.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from a visit to Amiga Island, and I can honestly say it was complete paradise. The crew is friendly and accommodating, and they provide as much or as little attention as you want. The island is breathtaking; white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear blue water, and reefs. Bring your own snorkel gear; the main guide eagerly took those of us who had gear out, and showed us sea urchins, artificial reefs, sunken cannons and sea life. There are many types of coral and tropical fish to be seen just off shore. If you want to relax you can float away on a floating mat, relax in a hammock or lounge chair or sun on the provided reed mats. Walking around the island you'll find conch shells and crabs. Note it is a cash bar except for the welcome cocktail, but the experience was so relaxing and beautiful, it is a small price to pay. There is a washroom on the island. I would hands down recommend it to anyone, we were all sad when it was time to leave.

I've been very curious about the Amiga Island tour. My family will be in Labadee this April. We are currently booked on the "Castaway at Malfini" beach tour, but we were considering switching to the Amiga Island tour. It just seems slightly more exotic and unique. Perhaps someone, maybe Purplegrapefruit, could steer us in the best direction. At this point, we are pretty torn! Any suggestions?

Amiga looks great, but details would be great from anyone who cares to share them! (The website is a bit shy on specifics.) Looks like the tour is only 3 hours, but in the port for 8. Wondering how that worked out, was the tour longer or did you just have the rest of the time at the main Labadee area? How was the boat ride over, any touring or straight to the island? Did you enjoy the food (reviews of the BBQ seem positive) before or after the trip?

thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

The floating mats are provided free of charge. I should also mention that they back up the boat into the shallows when you first arive so it is easy to disembark. The friendly crew will help you off if you need a little extra assistance getting off. You can carry your shoes as you wade through the knee deep water to the beach.

I've been very curious about the Amiga Island tour. My family will be in Labadee this April. We are currently booked on the "Castaway at Malfini" beach tour, but we were considering switching to the Amiga Island tour. It just seems slightly more exotic and unique. Perhaps someone, maybe Purplegrapefruit, could steer us in the best direction. At this point, we are pretty torn! Any suggestions?

When in April? We will be on the island on 4/20. I did book this excursion and we are all really excited as the island looks beautiful!

There might have been 20 people, all adults there was no other tour on the island, except the sandbar island boat which stopped nearby to snorkel, but they never came ashore. It really was private. Our tour was in the afternoon so we had plenty of time in the morning to enjoy the rest of Labadee and grab the BBQ lunch before heading to our excursion.

Our cruise departure date is April 3. And we've opted to keep our Malfini booking. Perhaps Amiga for the next cruise. Please do review the excursion once you return. I'd love to hear more about it.

I will, could you please to the same? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from a visit to Amiga Island, and I can honestly say it was complete paradise. The crew is friendly and accommodating, and they provide as much or as little attention as you want. The island is breathtaking; white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear blue water, and reefs. Bring your own snorkel gear; the main guide eagerly took those of us who had gear out, and showed us sea urchins, artificial reefs, sunken cannons and sea life. There are many types of coral and tropical fish to be seen just off shore. If you want to relax you can float away on a floating mat, relax in a hammock or lounge chair or sun on the provided reed mats. Walking around the island you'll find conch shells and crabs. Note it is a cash bar except for the welcome cocktail, but the experience was so relaxing and beautiful, it is a small price to pay. There is a washroom on the island. I would hands down recommend it to anyone, we were all sad when it was time to leave.

Is this a kid friendly excursion?

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on booking this tour in May. Is it easy to get to the bathroom on the island? I am travelling with my mom who is in her 80s.

would love to hear more about amiga. was going back and forth with malfini on this one, but from what i have heard maflini is small and shaded. thinking we may like this better. anyone that can share pictures or more detail would be great. also, to anyone interested, i found a bit more info by searching for "Île A Rat" island - it is the same place. also searching "#amigaisland" on instagram helped with photos.

I am planning on booking this tour in May. Is it easy to get to the bathroom on the island? I am travelling with my mom who is in her 80s.

Very easy to get to the washroom. It is only 30 feet or so from the bar. There was a woman and her elderly mother on our excursion and both seemed to have enjoyed the tour immensely.

Very easy to get to the washroom. It is only 30 feet or so from the bar. There was a woman and her elderly mother on our excursion and both seemed to have enjoyed the tour immensely.

Thanks for sharing, we've been trying to decide whether to do this or not. Could you tell us how long the boat ride was from the ship and was it really only 3 hours?