Pom handicap parking

Isasprings

We have handicap parking which helps make many businesses, companies etc accessible but it is not free so I don't see charging for it an issue. I do feel that they should be given priority boarding - some need more time because of mobility issues, some are self conscious of their disability and this eases boarding for them.

Why should it be free? Everyone else has to pay for parking. I can see putting the spots closer to the front of the lot but they should pay like everyone else.

I was able to use it a couple weeks ago as I had knee surgery day before cruise. There is absolutely no reason for it to be free. I couldn't walk far but that didn't mean I couldn't pay.

Why should it be free? Everyone else has to pay for parking. I can see putting the spots closer to the front of the lot but they should pay like everyone else.

I edited this for I went to see what was going on

Parking is STILL FREE for those in a modified vehicle, it is NOT free for those that just have a HC placard.

Edited by firerunner

Port of Miami was the ONLY one to have this - all other ports only offer free parking to modified vehicles/vans

Now POM is in line with the other cruiseports - free only for modified vehicles

I don't think it has anything to do with Carnival's boarding procedures either

Port of Miami was the ONLY one to have this - all other ports only offer free parking to modified vehicles/vans

Now POM is in line with the other cruiseports - free only for modified vehicles

I don't think it has anything to do with Carnival's boarding procedures either

Has anyone noticed the sea of handicap stickers in any parking area? Most, not all, drivers hop out of their cars, fancy trucks and walk freely. I know some will come back and start posting about hidden handicaps, but it's pretty bad to have a so called handicapped person walk faster than me.

this is what it says:

Notice to Disabled Parking Patrons (Effective November 16, 2013 at 1201 A.M.)

Based on Ordinance 13-104 That Amends Section 30-338.2 of the Miami–Dade County Code;

Public parking charges WILL APPLY to vehicles parking at PortMiami’s public parking facilities that display a disabled parking permit or license tag, except as provided by Florida state law*. However, a vehicle displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag will be allowed up to two (2) hours of free parking. Any vehicle exceeding the two-hour free parking period will be charged for the entire time the vehicle uses the facility.

*In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

How to request complimentary disabled parking at PortMiami:

At the exit of all PortMiami parking garages, before handing the parking ticket from the automated machine to the parking attendant, advise the parking attendant that you would like a disability waiver of parking. The parking attendant will examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver. The parking attendant will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

When the parking attendant verifies that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name and address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on a form by the parking attendant.