Hot Tubs

myfuzzy

After a long cold winter, getting on a ship, looking for a nice relaxing soak to get the chill out, but, reading about all the "yuck" that is contained in them...is this a concern...is once cruise line better at sanitation than another, what about kids...

Everyone will have to make their own minds up about this. I suggest you do the research yourself rather than relying on second hand information we can provide you. I will say that my spouse and I have decided to forego public hot tubs based on what we have come to understand.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

After a long cold winter, getting on a ship, looking for a nice relaxing soak to get the chill out, but, reading about all the "yuck" that is contained in them...is this a concern...is once cruise line better at sanitation than another, what about kids...

I think that they are okay to use but don't drink the water in them! This was a serious answer. Maybe there is "yuck" in them but if you shower after using them and don't drink from them, no reason to worry about it.

You don't say where you cruise from, but all ships sailing from US ports, or calling at US ports, must meet the USPH/CDC Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), which includes sanitation requirements for pools and hot tubs. Home spas or hot tubs, according to industry standards are maintained at a minimum of 2ppm chlorine, with an "ideal" range of 3-5ppm. The VSP requires a range of 3-10ppm (most maintain 5-8ppm)(the higher chlorine content is the basis of many complaints about faded swimwear, or even the threads rotting out of swimwear on cruise ships).

Home spas recommend oxidation (removing of organic contaminants) by raising the chlorine level to 30ppm, but there is no recommended interval for how often to do this. Shipboard hot tubs are required to be shock chlorinated like this every 24 hours, and the water drained and refilled every 72 hours. Further, the chlorination level is continually monitored, recorded, and chlorine is dosed continually based on this continuous monitoring.

When I was working on cruise ships, we would super-chlorinate the hot tubs to 100ppm to break down the biofilm layer that forms on the inside of the pipes, where things like the legionella bacillus can "hide" from the sanitizing agent at normal chlorination levels. We did this daily.

Are hot tubs safe? Yes. Would I use a public hot tub? Not a chance.

Are hot tubs safe? Yes. Would I use a public hot tub? Not a chance.

LOL! Well, there you have it. ;p:D

I feel the same way. Not going near one. Everything I have read here on these boards and know from personal experience makes my stomach turn. ;) Obviously, this is just my opinion and thousands of passengers enjoy them on cruise ships and around the world every day.

I used to be married to a microbiologist.

She could give you more info than you ever wanted to know about hot tubs and what grows in them.

But she still used them.

To each his own. Driving to the port or airport is more dangerous than the public hot tub.

The only cruise where we used a hot tub onboard was one where we happened to walk by early one morning when the crew had just finished filling it.. We asked and found out that they refilled at the same time each day. For the rest of the trip, we were there as they finished filling and were the first (and usually the only) people in the tub.

We have a home spa, and i can confirm that it requires regular maintenance at a minimum of 3 or 4 timess per week to maintain it at the required levels of "sanitation" and even more so after a period of heavy use. The description provided by Chengkp 75 is pretty much spot on, particularly with respect to shocking the tub after use.

We endeavour to pre-shower prior to using the spa to maintain the water purity as much as possible .... not sure that often happens on a ship.

I have only used a hot tub on a ship on one cruise, used it three times first thing in the morning, ie 6am, to treat a pulled muscle, and them immediately took a shower. First thing in the morning was when I had the most confidence that the water was as good as it was going to get. I wouldn't want to think what the water would be like mid afternoon after 70 or 80 people had used it.

Both our children worked as lifeguards; one of them at a water park, where she was regularly impacted by chlorine rash, due to the high levels of chlorine required in the water to meet health regulations. Sitting in a heavily chlorinated hot tub will have the same impact, if you have a similar sensitivity.

LOL! Well, there you have it. ;p:D

I feel the same way. Not going near one. Everything I have read here on these boards and know from personal experience makes my stomach turn. ;) Obviously, this is just my opinion and thousands of passengers enjoy them on cruise ships and around the world every day.

Same here. I imagine that the line probably has enough chemicals in a hot tub to kill whatever might be in it, but it is hard to erase the notion that it is just a people soup --- especially if I have just seen a group of guys drinking beers for a half hour or so in one.

Carnival ships have a Serenity Deck. This is for adults ONLY and no smoking. Most also have 1 or 2 hot tubs and some have a pool. Kids are not allowed here and they mean it. So, only adults in hot tub or pool. And I have seen them testing the water in the hot tubs every day.

We call the lido deck pools Pee pools because of the kids in them- same with those hot tubs. Never go in them!

Carnival ships have a Serenity Deck. This is for adults ONLY and no smoking. Most also have 1 or 2 hot tubs and some have a pool. Kids are not allowed here and they mean it. So, only adults in hot tub or pool. And I have seen them testing the water in the hot tubs every day.

We call the lido deck pools Pee pools because of the kids in them- same with those hot tubs. Never go in them!

Do you think that adult only pools and hot tubs have any less urine in them than family versions. If you do, you are being naive.

Ok, here is a subject I do know something about. I moderate a forum called whatsthebesthottub.com I've only been on Royal, but they do keep them clean. On occasion you may walk by one that looks like somebody took a bubble bath, and the people who dislike human tea will tell you that is skin oil, but its actually the fact that most people wash their swimsuits just like their regular laundry. If anyone visits our hottub they either wear no suit, or they allow us to run it through a cold rinse only cycle.

The biggest problem with hottubs (don't call them jacuzzis) is they frequently are not hot. On most Royal ships I have to search for one over 100F.

Do you think that adult only pools and hot tubs have any less urine in them than family versions. If you do, you are being naive.

There is a statement of no value, but can't be argued with, but at least you contributed.

Ok, here is a subject I do know something about. I moderate a forum called whatsthebesthottub.com I've only been on Royal, but they do keep them clean. On occasion you may walk by one that looks like somebody took a bubble bath, and the people who dislike human tea will tell you that is skin oil, but its actually the fact that most people wash their swimsuits just like their regular laundry. If anyone visits our hottub they either wear no suit, or they allow us to run it through a cold rinse only cycle.

The biggest problem with hottubs (don't call them jacuzzis) is they frequently are not hot. On most Royal ships I have to search for one over 100F.

One reason that the ships don't maintain hot tubs near the 104*F range, is that is the optimum breeding temperature for legionella bacteria. When they used to have air jets, to aerosolize the water, and the optimum temperature, it was a potential legionella nightmare.

One reason that the ships don't maintain hot tubs near the 104*F range, is that is the optimum breeding temperature for legionella bacteria. When they used to have air jets, to aerosolize the water, and the optimum temperature, it was a potential legionella nightmare.

I'd settle for 102 in one on occasion.

My suggestion would be to book a spa room. The spa hot tubs or thalasso pools don't have bars near them, so people don't camp out in them all day. Also I found, at least on the Carnival Splendor, that the spa tub was the only one kept at a high temperature. Also with the spa access comes access to some really nice lounging areas that are quiet.

I've avoided them ever since I heard someone describe them as "human soup."

But you EAT chicken soup and beef soup, and other animal soups.

You are SOAKING in a hot tub, not drinking it.

I used to be married to a microbiologist.

She could give you more info than you ever wanted to know about hot tubs and what grows in them.

But she still used them.

To each his own. Driving to the port or airport is more dangerous than the public hot tub.

My BIL is a pool expert and he won't go near a public hot tub.

Shrug, if I was squicked out enough to avoid hot tubs on cruises I'd have to avoid the pools too. Especially in the Caribbean they're almost as much human soup as the hot tubs.

9 times out of 10 though I'm going back to shower in my room right after.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk