Excursions

First trip

did anyone do the white pass scenic railway excursion? It looks amazing but one of the tour books says only if there is clear skies. What were your exoeriences?In Ketchikan same question about a plane ride over Misty Fjords

Thanks

did anyone do the white pass scenic railway excursion? It looks amazing but one of the tour books says only if there is clear skies. What were your exoeriences?In Ketchikan same question about a plane ride over Misty Fjords

Thanks

We did both...both were excellent and cloudy to rainy. Remember, you are in a rain forest, so clear, sunny days are not common.

That said, for us the rain was periodic and light....very little hard driving rain. Take a rain jacket and hat. Probly too windy for an umbrella...plus you will be near or in groups of other tourists.

Misty Fjords was our favorite!

Thanks

Loved the railway excursion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did anyone do the white pass scenic railway excursion? It looks amazing but one of the tour books says only if there is clear skies.

Even if it is raining at the port, once the train gets a few miles from town the skies might be perfect.

We took a private tour with Chilkoot. Drove us up into the Yukon and we took the train back down. It was a wonderful day and wonderful tour. I would contact them and set something up.

Yes unfortunately I must agree. It was fun on the way up but so boring on the way back. I fell asleep, as did two of my kids. But for those who enjoy a long train ride, go for it!

We booked through Chilkoot Tours and took the train up ... but then transferred to a small van for the trip back. We stopped in sorts of towns and places with great photo-ops along the way. Not boring at all this way.

We rented a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon to Carcross. Did it twice, once in the spring and once in the fall, and it was spectacular both times. Stopped when and where we wanted to, and though the road only parallels the railway right-of-way part of the time, I'm convinced we made the right choice.

To me the train ride was well worth it and yes, sometimes it can be bad due to weather. We had great weather on the train ride up the pass and bus ride back down. Last time we rented a car (do it ahead of time as they are very limited) and drove it up to Emerald Lake stopping on the way back in Carcross (very small "town"). Drive back there was very heavy fog and a bit scary drive. The train ride is the major thing to do in Skagway.

Ketchikan is in a rain forest and gets 200+" of rain each year. We have been there when it was drizzling, heavy rain and last time sunny and warm. DS and his friend took a plane ride up into the mountains. There were kiosks just off the pier that offered plane rides that way you can decide for yourself if it is worth it. You throw the dice and take your chances.

Check out a private tour operator called “Dyea Dave”. You will save a lot of money and have a better time in a small bus of 15 or so. Was one of our most favorite excursions in Alaska! The place you go for lunch has the best pie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums