How much clothing to pack?

aubiefan

We are a family of 4 going on our 1st cruise and don't know how to pack. I keep reading "Bring fewer clothes and more money" but I don't want to underpack. Do you just wears swimsuits with a coverup on port days or do you actually dress up a little? How many times per day do you change on sea days? I have no clue. Thanks!

Iv never gone into a port with just a cover up over my bathing suit. I put tee shirt and shorts over it, just me. . but then there are people who go into eat like that, so you might be different than me.

There is a laundry on all ships if your kids need something washed. I wear the same dress twice. I go with just a carry on. I know Ill buy more tee shirts, so I only bring 4 or 5 with me. I mostly wear shorts and tee shirts. I do have a extra bag for what I buy to bring home.

Can't really tell someone how much to pack, I'm one of those that puts on a tank top and shorts in the morning and then will usually go put on capri pants for evening inside the ship. I'm just not a big clothes horse. However, you will see those that dress up at night. Keep in mind that inside the ship is rather cool, so you will need a sweater and pants for some venues.

Hi - this is our third cruise and we always overpack so this is what we packed for our most recent 7 day. DH brings his best suit to wear on formal nights, a pair of khakis and Nat Nast and Polo shirts for dinner. He brings about 3 pair of Cargos and Tshirts for day time. He brings 1 pair of black dress shoes, brown shoes for khakis and a pair of born sandals.

I bring 2 nice dresses for formal nights/steakhouse, denim shorts and khaki shorts with about 5 tshirts for during the day/ports and sundresses that can be day or evening. 1 pair of black strappy sandals for dressy and 2 pair of flip flops (one I wear on the ship so only one is packed)

DD is different - she's 5 so she can get messy still in Camp Carnival so we bring several outfits but we shop at Gymboree and we stick to one line so we can do easy changes if need be. We bring 2 outfits for her for each day (one dressier, one casual) and 2 nice dresses for formal nights. She wears white sandals, flip flops or one pair of dressy shoes.

hope this helps -

We are a family of 4 going on our 1st cruise and don't know how to pack. I keep reading "Bring fewer clothes and more money" but I don't want to underpack. Do you just wears swimsuits with a coverup on port days or do you actually dress up a little? How many times per day do you change on sea days? I have no clue. Thanks!

I bring one shorts or capri set for each day. And I mix and match my pants and slacks for the evening so I can bring maybe 4 pairs and different shirts so that I only bring 7 for dinner. Then after dinner I will change into either what I wore that day or will be wearing for the next day for the rest of the evening on the ship. I try to only bring basic shoes brown, black and flip flops. Each cruise I pack less. I do bring one pair of sweats incase the weather turns. (Have been very happy I did) Hope that helps.

Hi - this is our third cruise and we always overpack so this is what we packed for our most recent 7 day. DH brings his best suit to wear on formal nights, a pair of khakis and Nat Nast and Polo shirts for dinner. He brings about 3 pair of Cargos and Tshirts for day time. He brings 1 pair of black dress shoes, brown shoes for khakis and a pair of born sandals.

I bring 2 nice dresses for formal nights/steakhouse, denim shorts and khaki shorts with about 5 tshirts for during the day/ports and sundresses that can be day or evening. 1 pair of black strappy sandals for dressy and 2 pair of flip flops (one I wear on the ship so only one is packed)

DD is different - she's 5 so she can get messy still in Camp Carnival so we bring several outfits but we shop at Gymboree and we stick to one line so we can do easy changes if need be. We bring 2 outfits for her for each day (one dressier, one casual) and 2 nice dresses for formal nights. She wears white sandals, flip flops or one pair of dressy shoes.

hope this helps -

In the section on Cruise Critic that reads, "First Time Cruisers," there is a subsection labelled "What to Pack." In addition to all the good information you've received already, you may want to check there too.

Have a great cruise and remember: Cruising is addictive!!!

I do wear my cover up into ports or sometimes I just use a sundress to cover up over my suit if I think we will be shopping too. Unfortunatly all of my bathing suits are skirted so i can't fit them into shorts!! I usually wear the sundress first to one of our dinners and then later as my cover up. HTH Jess

We have been in suits with cover-ups most days, whether sea day or excursions...so we pack at least two suits/coverups and wash/dry rotate thru the week.

Since we do lots of water activities, we've really only needed one regular outfit of shorts/capris.

We fly in, so I "treat" myself to the laundry service provided onboard, and have our traveling clothes washed so they're ready to wear again on the way home.

Ditto on the sweater comment...it can really be chilly in the comedy club or at dinner...good to have something to snuggle into.

Have fun!

Peg

Just bring half of what you think you need. Lol. I always overpacked and recently learned that I never wore half of what I brought.

That's what I did last time, too. I even did laundry because I had my favorites. This time I'm going to try and remember what my favorites were and only bring them. I want to have half the clothes and I don't mind doing laundry to have fewer clothes to tote around. 15 days this time, too.:)

I am the "oddity." Each cruise I pack a lot and wear almost everything. I am going to try to pack less this time. I change and shower frequently. I cannot wear shirts twice during hot weather but I can wear pants/capris more than once. I will work on my shoe habbit too! The only easy item is the purse, I use two wristlets to carry my S&S - one day - one evening!

I also brought all the "extras" - (exp - over the door shoe holder, etc). It was somewhat helpful with 4 or 5 in the cabin for organizing. Truthfully, the less you pack, the better it fits in the cabin. Now that the kids have their own cabin, DH and I can spread out a little! I would skip most of these things, especially if you are flying. The one item I do love is my collapsible hamper.

DH brings 2 pair of dress slacks, a sports jacket (for specialty restaurant) and 3 pair of shorts with multiple shirts. Also 2 swimsuits, a couple t-shirts and 3 pair of shoes (Teva style, sneakers and dress shoes). These are times I wish I were a guy - so easy!

I am going to try to keep my belongings to a minimum, if for no other reason, just easier to keep track of things and be organized! :D

I'm like the above poster - I change clothes a few times a day. I always dress up for dinner in the MDR and then I change into something else to go around the ship at night (shows, etc) Usually a sundress or cute shorts and a blouse - but that's just my personality. Many people wear swimsuits/cover ups the whole cruise. In port, I wear a dress or tank top and shorts, I take my swimsuit with me and change into it sometime, depending on what our plans are. I like to take pictures in regular clothes ;) I think you'll be just fine with whatever you decide - just depends on what you prefer :) If it's your first cruise, you may want to take lots of different types of outfits just so you'll have options and use this cruise as a learning experience for the next one? Just an idea.

Our last 7 day I took a picture of all the clothes I packed and didn't wear - the pile took up the whole couch, lol :eek: I took the picture to look at while I pack so I can try and cut some things out :)

Hope you have a fantastic time!!!! :)

I'm reading through your posts here (for the sake of my wife - I'm just bringing one pair of tattered jeans and a tank top, myself. NOT!), and remembering what I've seen in many guides (Fodor, Rough, etc.), that folks in many ports consider it rude for cruisers to wear swimwear to port - that's why they provide changing rooms at all the beaches.

Anyhow, I have no experience with this, so would love someone who's seen this be a problem to chime in. If I had my druthers, it would be a swimsuit and T-shirt 24/7.

Thanks!

It's up to you, your family and your ports, I'd say. As an example.. when we were in Grand Turk, we booked a snorkel excursion and planned to be at the beach all day and now adays, bathing suit cover-ups can be pretty snazzy..so I threw mine over my suit and my 2 DS's were in their swim trunks and a t-shirt. My boys are 6 and 9 so we had to have a backpack for towels, sunscreen etc. and less clothes lightens the load. But we were walking all over San Juan and St. Thomas and were in shorts, T-shirts and good walking shoes or flip flops.

I overpacked. For sure. I got away with 3 pairs of shorts and one pr capris ONE night (brought 6 shorts plus 2 capris), wore maybe 5 shirts, the boys lived in their swim trunks as they love to swim and they each wore maybe 3 or 4 pairs of shorts (I packed like 12 for them..). Bring one "dressy" outfit for everyone (we went all out for one formal night..I did bring an evening gown and my boys were in ties and jacket/vest-made for GREAT pics), bathing suits, and think about what can be reworn. If your kiddos are messy, think about either extra shirts or buying cheap souvenir t-shirts while you're gone. Even if you "underpack", you can buy what you need..and lots of places had kids t-shirts for like $5. I bought Carnival t-shirts via Bon Voyage and had them waiting for my kids when we got to our room. They dug it.

We didn't change really on sea days except for dinner time if we went to the MDR. If we were eating at the buffet, we dried off, covered up, got food and went right back out to play/swim/tan, etc.

Ports- depends on what you are doing in the port. If you are heading out on a sailboat- swim suit and coverup will do. If you are touring a garden- maybe shorts and a tee would be better. I would suggest that you pull out the clothes you think you will need (think about each excursion, elegant night, days on board) and make a pile for each person. Then go back to the pile again and again and make sure you have everything, and take things out of the pile. Do you really need 3 white tees? Or 6 pair of shorts? No. Dark clothes don't get dirty as quickly, you don't need extra extras. Keep weeding out until it fits in a rolling carryon each (well- that's what I allow myself), and you will probably still have too much. Two bathing suits if you are a swimmer, and remember- if you need something it is an opportunity for you to shop! The less you bring the less you have to cart around, unpack and pack, and make decisions about every day. And nobody but you cares anyway. I cannot think of a single thing anyone wore on my last cruise- and it was only 2 weeks ago. Not one single thing.

On sea days, almost everyone will be in either shorts/tees or swimsuits/coverups....until dinner!

If you only put the shorts on for breakfast, feel free to wear them again and again...no one notices or cares!

What you wear into port will depend on what you're doing...swimsuit with shorts is fine, too!

At night, for dinner, something a bit better than casual shorts is appropriate. Again...things can be re-worn if they aren't soiled!

And, on Carnival, there are laundries! Or, make use of the ship's laundry service!

I too pack far to many clothes. I usually bring a 29" (the big boy) suitcase and a 21" carry on. However this time our kids are going to be driving down with us and due to limited trunk space we will all be packing in 21" carry on bags and a hang up bag between us. I am really so excited about this, I have done a trial run and really, I can get everything I need in this bag and some extra. I find the thought of it very liberating! LOL! If I can do it this time I can do it in the future also...we always self-disembark and it will be so nice to just have a small bag.

As far as the ports we usually wear our swim suits. I wear shorts and tank top or a sundress/boho type skirt and top over it. My DH wears his swimsuit and shirt. We are usually gone all day so what we change into after we return we can wear several times because you are not in them very long before you change for dinner.

You will pack too much the first time guranteed but you will get better at it. I usually take 10+ pairs of shoes, LOL, embarrassing I know. This time 4 pairs tops. Have fun, but minimize, minimize, minimize. :)

It really depends on how much of a 'clothes horse' you are - do you like to change a lot and wear lots of different things? If so, go for it.

If I'm cruising for a week, I pack 2 of everything except underwear - 2 t-shirts, 2 polos, 2 trousers, 2 shorts, 2 bathing suits (one will always be wet!), you get the idea - plus whatever I decide on for elegant night.

Be aware that many of the islands are much more conservative than we in the US when it comes to appropriate clothing in public - in many places, for example, it is considered vulgar for a man (or a boy) to be shirtless. It won't matter on the ship - people will be as dressed down as you ever see them on land - but please respect the people in the ports. They live there; we're just visiting, so show them the respect you would want from visitors in your home.

I'm definitely an overpacker because I just don't know what I want to wear. The other problem is I do precruise in the local city and hit the outlets . . . my husband just shakes his head. With the price of baggage, I'm going to definitely try to pack more sundresses, one formal night dress (after 10 cruises, I only need one formal night), one pair of dressy shoes less shorts and tops and stay away from the Orlando Premium outlet mall. :D

Archived