Donating to schools on the islands

Hi, do people donate school or hospital supplies on any of the islands?

Or giving gifts to the local kids?

We are heading to Noumea, Isle of Pines, Lifou and Mystery Islands and was wondering if the area was in need of these sorts of supplies.

What do you give and who do you give it to?

Janine xx:)

We are heading to Noumea, Isle of Pines, Lifou and Mystery Islands and was wondering if the area was in need of these sorts of supplies.

Pentecost island

Noumea, Isle of Pines and Lifou, being run by the French, are not so needy, but the people of Aneityum Island who travel across to Mystery Island are.

When we were there, there was a group of people singing beautifully to raise money for their Sunday School. We gave them exercise books, pencils, rubbers etc, etc.

In Vanuatu, if the families can't afford to send their children to school, they don't get a good education. They are all needy in that respect.

At Vila, a lady named Chrissy (who is now situated NOT by the wharf gates as she used to be, but further along in the markets) is always collecting for the hospital. They are in desperate need of funds. Medical supplies are always needed, or money. We have also given her school supplies - books, pencils, rubbers etc, which she said she would put on the boat going to the outlying islands which were in need.

Its good to remember while we are enjoying a luxurious holiday many of the places we visit could do with a helping hand. We make a point of purchasing something made in the village, plus taking something along if we are visiting a school or orphanage. Pencils, reading books, sporting equipment like balls etc are always popular..plus money!

If you are organising a private tour for your roll call think about including a visit to a school or orphanage..I have happy memories of having to reciprocate by teaching school kids the "hokey pokey" in Thailand after they had sung a danced so beautifully for us. In reality it was an opportunity for the children to practise their english skills...to a bunch of highly untalented tone deaf aussies.

Some of lifes best memories did not cost a lot..Travel well and leave smiles behind you..it'll make you feel good too.

Sue

We've never had a problem.

I should have been more specific. Bringing in medical supplies may need authorization from customs. Also such things as equipment, computers, tablets, boxes of books, etc will need to be cleared as well.

I'm not talking about a handful of pencils and notebooks.

Also, Cruise ships generally do not allow transport of goods, so unless they all fit in your suitcases, you should check first.

I should have been more specific. Bringing in medical supplies may need authorization from customs. Also such things as equipment, computers, tablets, boxes of books, etc will need to be cleared as well.

Also, Cruise ships generally do not allow transport of goods, so unless they all fit in your suitcases, you should check first.

Oh right. :) I think most of us would just take what we could carry ashore in a bag. By medical supplies, the usual things are bandaids, bandages etc. - over the counter products. Of course, for anything more, it is better to give cash donations to Chrissy who has the right connections for the hospital.

I have always taken 4 or 5 very large striped bags every cruise never a problem and they usually fit under the bed. 2 go to Chrissy- towels, bandages, vitamins etc. I shop at garrage sales and buy lots of balls - soccer are a favourite.

I think if you got off at one port with lots of bags the customs guys might want documentation. I did once get asked about my 2 stripped bags Latouka - I was taking 2 families washing ashore - no problem and I didn't even get asked to open it.

Di

• 4 years later...
At Vila, a lady named Chrissy (who is now situated NOT by the wharf gates as she used to be, but further along in the markets) is always collecting for the hospital. They are in desperate need of funds. Medical supplies are always needed, or money. We have also given her school supplies - books, pencils, rubbers etc, which she said she would put on the boat going to the outlying islands which were in need.

I'm not trying to impugn anyone's motives here, but has Chrissy given you any evidence of these deliveries or is it taken on faith? Are you sure the deliveries are free of charge?

Not the Islands, but same issue...we are taking pens etc on QM2 with us, to give to the schools , when we do the Villages and Countryside shorex when we call into Nha Trang, Vietnam in a few weeks.

:D

Paper - writing, drawing, printing - is expensive for them to buy and always in big demand at the village schools. Heavy for us to carry but so cheap to buy by comparison. Don't forget the Fijian Islands and PNG. If you don't know where to take supplies just ask around amongst the locals.

Chrissy is no longer in Vila she has come back to Australia as her husband passed away- there are other organizations that take donations etc as you exit the dock at Vila they take school supplies, clothes, toys ,cash donations etc

I'm not trying to impugn anyone's motives here, but has Chrissy given you any evidence of these deliveries or is it taken on faith? Are you sure the deliveries are free of charge?

You realise you quoted a post from almost 5 years ago. Thru other sources I have heard that Chrissy did return to Australia as has been posted on here, and also that she was well regarded by many. I guess sometimes we just need to trust that good people exist, and just trust that our well intended deeds result in those who need them, get them.

On our recent cruise, our group left school supplies with Peter Ora (well known tour operator) in Vila for his village, with a group of school kids singing at the wharf in Vila, and on Mystery Island. The principal at the local school near Mystery Is often posts on FB thanking all the visitors for their donations, and assuring that these are shared with other schools.

In December 2016, when we visited we were given a tour by a lovely local man who explained the sliding scale of social need in New Caledonia.

While it is predominately a 'rich' country the further you go from Noumea the more need you will find.

For instance, it was noticeable how many teenagers were sitting/walking smoking cigarettes on the streets in Noumea (the capital city). unlike on the outer islands where we saw very few teenagers smoking if at all.

What to donate? Kids are kids, anything age appropriate to a primary school kid.

Who to give it to? If you cant find someone who seems like 'the teacher' ask one of the kids to point out to you who is the village elder, give it to that person and just let it be knowing that they will make of it what they will. If you got the wrong guy so be it.

You realise you quoted a post from almost 5 years ago. Thru other sources I have heard that Chrissy did return to Australia as has been posted on here, and also that she was well regarded by many. I guess sometimes we just need to trust that good people exist, and just trust that our well intended deeds result in those who need them, get them.

On our recent cruise, our group left school supplies with Peter Ora (well known tour operator) in Vila for his village, with a group of school kids singing at the wharf in Vila, and on Mystery Island. The principal at the local school near Mystery Is often posts on FB thanking all the visitors for their donations, and assuring that these are shared with other schools.

I was responding to Chocolate pudding's post which is why I suggested the Mystery Is box. No need to meet anybody, just leave the donation in the box.

i used to give to chrissy

but heard a rumour she actually sells the stuff

her supporters shot me down

so nowadays i give the stuff direct to my driver and the amputees

I know Chrissy quite well and I don't believe that rumour. Unfortunately some people seem to delight in speculating or starting rumours about other people. I have heard some good ones about my husband and I. ;) Not true of course.

We always take colour pencils, blacklead pencils, rulers, erasers, pencil sharpeners, all very easy to pack in a corner of the suitcase. Also packets of A4 paper. We always give them to the teacher at the village or put in a box as on mystery island. We don't give direct to the kids as i feel they also need to be aware of stranger danger.

We did take supplies to give to the children of Bali via our tour driver/guide and regretted doing so. The kids were rushing at us yelling me, me, me and more so unlike the beautiful children on the pacific islands and also when we went to PNG last year.

We are off to Lautoka and Apia in Samoa next week, having been to Lautoka I am aware of what to take but does anyone know how needy they are in Apia?

Thanks