A Favor - Would those who are sailing on Veendam Canada/NE itinerary report back

cidymom

I would greatly appreciate it if those cruisers who will be going on the Veendam Canada/New England itinerary in 2018 report back on their trip whether positive or negative. I am book with my family for August and would love to hear what others like about the ship and ports. This will be our first time sailing HAL but booked it solely for the itinerary. If anyone keeps the daily activities brochure (not sure what it is called on HAL) and can upload pictures of them that would be fabulous so I can plan in advance for activities, fitness classes and shows. Your comments on the ship and what you did in each port would also be helpful. I heard there's not much to do near the cruise port in Sydney so am looking at ideas for excursions. Thanks in advance to all for your help, comments and ideas.

I would greatly appreciate it if those cruisers who will be going on the Veendam Canada/New England itinerary in 2018 report back on their trip whether positive or negative. I am book with my family for August and would love to hear what others like about the ship and ports. This will be our first time sailing HAL but booked it solely for the itinerary. If anyone keeps the daily activities brochure (not sure what it is called on HAL) and can upload pictures of them that would be fabulous so I can plan in advance for activities, fitness classes and shows. Your comments on the ship and what you did in each port would also be helpful. I heard there's not much to do near the cruise port in Sydney so am looking at ideas for excursions. Thanks in advance to all for your help, comments and ideas.
Rent a car and go out to the Fortress of Louisbourg. You will be there during the Peak Season, when the Fortress will be filled with costumed re-enactors who stay in character. It's a stunning re-creation of an 18th century fortress, full of historical artifacts and just a fantastic place to spend the day. http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg

Entrance%20gate-M.jpg

20150826_095423_001-M.jpg

20150826_103018-X-M.jpg

20150826_104034-X-M.jpg

We just walked ashore in each of the ports; we enjoyed all of them.

No fitness activities on the ship that I can recall; however, the wraparound promenade deck is great for walking. Four circuits = one mile.

We liked the ship. Good size, easy to get around, and as you know, her small size makes it possible to get to those ports.

We attended all the production shows, which were good, but not the comedians or other soloists. Show times are related to set dinner times; early dining has a show afterwards, and late seating has a show before. The theater was never crowded. There was a movie screened a couple of times most days.

Edited by shipgeeks
mis-spelling

Walk from the terminal, down the boardwalk, in Halifax to ht Maritime museum they have items from Titanic, a wonderful ships' Bell collection,

In Charlottetown, walk to Government House and tour it to learn the history of Canada's Founding in PEI

A very short walk from the terminal.

We’ve just returned from a week in Bermudaon the Veendam . Previously we havecruised on the Canadaitinerary for the equivalent of 5 weeks. The last trip was a B2B beginning in Boston,going up to Quebec Cityand back again so we visited each port twice. Since we had done most of the excursions/close to port things, wedecided to rent a car at each port and craft an itinerary that interested usand that would take us further afield.

Bar Harbor--since we live in Massachusetts and have been there a number of times, we just walked around the port, up the hill to a small park and beyond to see some of the houses and church nearby.

In Halifaxwe first visited Lunenburg, a UNESCO world heritage site. It is a colorful, friendly fishing villagewith several historic houses to visit. We meandered on small roads following along finger-like peninsulas. This does pass Peggy’s Cove but we had beenthere before and didn’t stop.

In Sydneywe drove part of the Cabot Trail. Thescenery was spectacular in places and we had stopped at a little shop for freshbread, cheeses and fruit for a picnic.

In PEI,we used this brochure to plan two drives. https://www.tourismpei.com/pei-coastal-drives. We had visited the Anne of Green Gableshouse twice before and toured that part of the island.

In Quebec City,we found a gorgeous island in the St. Lawrence called Isle d’Orleans—an islandthat had beautiful views and a distinct French flavor. We stopped for lunch and sat on a verandahoverlooking a beautiful garden but I don’t remember the name of it.

Not sure this is what you were looking for or if you haveother questions. Enjoy your trip!

Sail, on our trip we actually overnighted in Quebec City (Friday morning and left on Sunday afternoon) and didn't go further on to Montreal. We took the bridge where route 40 and 440, if I remember correctly) meet. On the second day we drove up to Saguenay Fjord to see the Beluga whales and St. Anne Dupres

Thanks, Hank and Lauri :)

We used to love when Maasdam would sail into Saguenay Fjord to the statue. it was wonderful but it has been years since it was a usual part of the itinerary. A high point of the cruise. We also saw belugas. There ha ve been number of right whales in and around Boston waters this late winter/ early spring.

A great many sightings.

I also remember when hAL did those cruises that over-nighted in Quebec City, wonderful. What a great opportunity for a lovely French dinner ashore.

Edited by sail7seas

I have done this itinerary twice on the Maasdam and since I live in Quebec City I have been to those ports on land trips too.

I think it is a great itinerary to do where you don't need excursions to enjoy it. Actually, for me it's my cheap vacation since I catch the ship in my home town and take a bus back to Montreal afterwards and don't do any excursion. Just a relaxing trip with also lots of walking and exploring.

Quebec City : you dock in lower town, usually at the best dock. Very easy to explore place Royale ehicw is part of Quartier petit Champlain, take funicular or use steps to get to Promenade Frontenac and its château ("castle" like hotel), walk grande allée st. Where you have 2 FREE tours available (Quebec parliament or residence of governor general of Canada - official rooms not her Peru space of course). Then head down on st.jean st. Toward marché du vieux port market and then follow the shoreline to bring you back to your ship. Some extra cost interesting stops include the citadel, a meal at Le ciel rotative restaurant (expensive but very nice view on a clear day - they may accept you just having a drink if you are between peak times), plaines d'Abraham Battlefield park.

Charlottetown: exploring town and parliament (they ask for a donation if I remember correctly).

Sydney: excursion to fortress of Louisbourg or car rengre for part of Cabot trail (on a clear day) are boy very good idea, they are places I really want to go back to. However, if you want to take it easy and cheap, there is a Promenade near the dock and a nice park very close by of the end of the Promenade. It can be a nice relaxing day.

Halifax: a tour of the citadel and/or of Pier 21 immigration museum are both interesting (about 12$ each).

Bar Harbor: you can ride a FREE bus to Acadia National Park

(12$ entrance). Many nice trails but the one at Jordan Pond restaurant would be easy eitw the bus (beware if you are at jordaJ pond and go right, the trail is easy but if you try to go around the pond or choose left from the restaurant, at some places the trail is somewhat difficult narrow single wood piece "bridges" or climb boulders required). Sometimes I stay in bar harbor itself, walk the beach and then walk the small path at the end that brings you back at the top of the hill, then slowly go down the hohi, exploring the church and many boutiques, cafe, bars and restaurants.

I really like this itinerary. But once I did it and it was pouring most of the week (mid-may), I just got unlucky but still enjoyed it (more stops at pubs is a must when it's pouring rain ;) )

Thank you everyone for your great ideas! For the Quebec City port, will there be enough time to walk around Quebec as well as travel to see the Montmorency Falls if not taking an excursion? Is it doable on your own without renting a car? Thanks again everyone for your expert help and sharing of information. I'm really looking forward to visiting this part of Canada.

I sail June 2 so will try to post. This will be my third time doing this trip. Not sure what we will do this time!

Hi :) I am considering this cruise too (third time for me too :)). Are you sailing solo? I probably will. There is a good price for Canadians but still a rough single supplement.

Yes, you can get to the falls by city bus. It takes longer (40 minutes + nice walk to get to bus station) than with a rental car or a tour but still a good option. If I were you, I would do the falls first thing in the morning and this way you'll see how much time you have left to see the sights in Quebec City. I think you can see the falls area and be back to your ship by 1pm or so for a quick bite, leaving you a few hours for Quartier Petit Champain which is right by the ship.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Croisi%C3%A8res+AML+Qu%C3%A9bec+Billetterie,+10+Rue+Dalhousie,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1K+4B7/Chute-Montmorency,+5300+Boulevard+Sainte-Anne,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1C+1S1/@46.8287002,-71.2246745,13z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cb895dd2899da6d:0x26c866f953061a52!2m2!1d-71.2011709!2d46.8132268!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cb8bea29e1000ab:0xd54275f120d61923!2m2!1d-71.147684!2d46.890804!3e3?hl=fr

Actually, your bus to the falls returns right by interesting sites. When you come back from the falls, I would check out the train station which is a very nice building inside and out (looks like the Chateau Frontenac a little, but smaller) and then walk through the Marché du Vieux Port Market. Following the shore line will get you back to your ship (if you are at its usual dock at Quai des croisières Cruise terminal). But please leave some time to walk to Place royale and Promenade des Gouverneurs by the Chateau Frontenac, it is a must. If you don't think you can do both in a day, I would skip the falls for this first visit as Quebec City is a jewel you don't want to miss.

Actually, what date are you in Quebec City? If you want and if I am home (I work on a ship so sometimes away but available when I am home), I could arrange a private ''tour'' for you (I am by no means a tour operator or even a tour guide, just a fellow cruise critic member who has a passion for travel in general but for cruises and my city in particular). If interested, let me know and I'll give you my email.

Yes, you can get to the falls by city bus. It takes longer (40 minutes + nice walk to get to bus station) than with a rental car or a tour but still a good option. If I were you, I would do the falls first thing in the morning and this way you'll see how much time you have left to see the sights in Quebec City. I think you can see the falls area and be back to your ship by 1pm or so for a quick bite, leaving you a few hours for Quartier Petit Champain which is right by the ship.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Croisi%C3%A8res+AML+Qu%C3%A9bec+Billetterie,+10+Rue+Dalhousie,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1K+4B7/Chute-Montmorency,+5300+Boulevard+Sainte-Anne,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1C+1S1/@46.8287002,-71.2246745,13z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cb895dd2899da6d:0x26c866f953061a52!2m2!1d-71.2011709!2d46.8132268!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cb8bea29e1000ab:0xd54275f120d61923!2m2!1d-71.147684!2d46.890804!3e3?hl=fr

Actually, your bus to the falls returns right by interesting sites. When you come back from the falls, I would check out the train station which is a very nice building inside and out (looks like the Chateau Frontenac a little, but smaller) and then walk through the Marché du Vieux Port Market. Following the shore line will get you back to your ship (if you are at its usual dock at Quai des croisières Cruise terminal). But please leave some time to walk to Place royale and Promenade des Gouverneurs by the Chateau Frontenac, it is a must. If you don't think you can do both in a day, I would skip the falls for this first visit as Quebec City is a jewel you don't want to miss.

Actually, what date are you in Quebec City? If you want and if I am home (I work on a ship so sometimes away but available when I am home), I could arrange a private ''tour'' for you (I am by no means a tour operator or even a tour guide, just a fellow cruise critic member who has a passion for travel in general but for cruises and my city in particular). If interested, let me know and I'll give you my email.

Two years ago we did both the Falls and old Quebec City without any time problem (we in our mid-60's and in good physical condition). We left the ship by 9:00 a.m. There was a very nice woman at the terminal who had maps and was able to give us directions in limited English (welcome to Quebec!). A number of warnings though. You pick up the bus at least 1/2 mile away from the cruise port. At the time, we had to buy our bus ticket at the convenience store inside the old train station (honest). And, my high school French didn't really work well but the very nice young man behind the counter found someone bi-lingual to interpret for us. The interpreter walked us to the bus stop. The falls are the last stop on the bus line. And finally, the bus takes you to the TOP of the falls. In order to get a different perspective you'll have to take the cable car DOWN to the bottom and then back up again. If you need to use a restroom there's a footbridge that goes over the falls. Interesting.

We rode back to where we picked up the bus and then walked over to the City. We had plenty of time for lunch, the Chateau Frontenac and everything else.

The savings by taking the bus are substantial. Everyone, including the bus driver with limited English, couldn't have been nicer. It was a perfect day.

If you have canadian money (coins - 3,50$ pp each way), you can pay cash on the bus - tickets will save you 50 cents pp each way, not worth looking for the vending point IMHO. The map I posted shows where the bus stop is. Yes, you arrive at the top of the falls, you can opt to go at the bottom (cable car - fee), stairs if you are VERY BRAVE but even from the top you have very nice view points.

To JP2001 - thank you for your posts with great information. My son is in French Immersion and his class was in Quebec in January (very cold with lows of -32 with wind at that time). They went to the falls and I thought it would be exciting for him to see the falls in the summer. Thank you also for your very generous offer to be our "guide" while in Quebec. We'll be stopping there in late August. We have been to Quebec City before as we honeymooned there and loved it but never went to the falls. My husband and son speak French. If we've never been to Quebec City, we would gratefully accept your kind offer. We signed up for a greeter program when visiting Chicago a couple of years ago and we were paired up with a local guide who showed us around their city. I find these are the best tours and the local guides are so passionate about their city and want to share their knowledge and attractions. You should be very proud of your city as it is beautiful and we look forward to revisiting it again. I'm sure other CC members reading this thread who have never been to this port would love to take you up on your offer. I'll post if I have any other questions regarding this itinerary. Thanks so much!