Carnival Dream Questions

We are scheduled for a cruise on the Dream on June 21, 2015. I have been reading what I can on CC about this ship and itinerary and have a few questions. First of all, thanks to all of you who leave wonderful reviews of the cruises - it's so much fun reading/learning about the specific cruises. However, the more I read, the more questions I have. Our cruise will visit Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Now for the questions.

I've read that sometimes the ship won't stop at Belize due to weather conditions. If they opt not to stop there, do we just have an extra sea day and how early would we know that we won't be tendering? Is it a frequent issue that the ship doesn't stop there?

We are planning on a cave tubing trip in Belize. I'm not athletic at all and have become quite overweight lately. Will the hike and cave tubing be difficult for a middle-aged, pudgy girl?

We will be traveling with our 3 kids (15, 19, & 22). Our 15 year old son is not outgoing with people he doesn't know. Do many teens actually use the facilities for the 15-17 year old age group? We aren't cruising with any other families we know and his older brother & sister will likely ditch him. Just worried he will not have fun on the ship. Any suggestions for kids his age?

We have two cabins on the Vista deck (9th level). One is a port side balcony room midship. I've read about the Lanai deck being a problem for some balcony rooms above it - but will it be an issue for a 9th level room? Is smoking from that deck going to affect our balcony?

Is there a site to look up specific concerns on individual cabins on individual ships?

Again, I love the reviews I'm reading, but then they make me "worry" about issues that may not even affect me.

We are scheduled for a cruise on the Dream on June 21, 2015. I have been reading what I can on CC about this ship and itinerary and have a few questions. First of all, thanks to all of you who leave wonderful reviews of the cruises - it's so much fun reading/learning about the specific cruises. However, the more I read, the more questions I have. Our cruise will visit Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Now for the questions.

I've read that sometimes the ship won't stop at Belize due to weather conditions. If they opt not to stop there, do we just have an extra sea day and how early would we know that we won't be tendering? Is it a frequent issue that the ship doesn't stop there?

We are planning on a cave tubing trip in Belize. I'm not athletic at all and have become quite overweight lately. Will the hike and cave tubing be difficult for a middle-aged, pudgy girl?

We will be traveling with our 3 kids (15, 19, & 22). Our 15 year old son is not outgoing with people he doesn't know. Do many teens actually use the facilities for the 15-17 year old age group? We aren't cruising with any other families we know and his older brother & sister will likely ditch him. Just worried he will not have fun on the ship. Any suggestions for kids his age?

We have two cabins on the Vista deck (9th level). One is a port side balcony room midship. I've read about the Lanai deck being a problem for some balcony rooms above it - but will it be an issue for a 9th level room? Is smoking from that deck going to affect our balcony?

Is there a site to look up specific concerns on individual cabins on individual ships?

Again, I love the reviews I'm reading, but then they make me "worry" about issues that may not even affect me.

The Carnival Dream is a great ship and is one of my favorites! I cruised the ship last year to the Bahamas and had one of the best times of my life. Although I didn't cruise your specific itinerary on the Carnival Dream, you can check out my pictures of the ship on my review:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-dream-7day-bahamas-cruise-review-2014.html

(Days 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8 are all filled with ship pictures. I took hundreds of pictures.)

For your questions (I can answer a few):

If the ship doesn't stop in Belize due to the wind factor you will probably have an extra sea day. It is unlikely for the port to be substituted. The ship will probably schedule more activities for the day if this happens.

There are usually many teens that use the 15-17 year facilities during Sumer cruises compared to off season cruises. However, this depends on the group of kids that are on your particular cruise. I am sure he will have fun. Club 02 offers a variety of different activities that fit different personalities. For example, some kids may enjoy scavenger hunts that offered versus others that enjoy video game tournaments. There should be some activities on the schedule that he may enjoy.

I do not know a site off the top of my head the helps with cabins. I knew of one at one point, but I cannot remember the name know.

This is all I can give you help wise. Others will probably be able to come here and give more insight on some of your other questions. I hope this helps and have a fantastic cruise!

Edited by thecruiserofships

The lanai on deck 5 is more of an issue for the balconies right above it. From deck 9, it shouldn't be as big of an issue. Hopefully, you are not right over a hot tub. Even if you are, it's better to be on deck 9 than any lower, especially when above a hot tub.

For your 15-yr old, it's best for him to go to the club at the beginning of the cruise. They do seem to clique up rather quickly.

These big ships have sometimes not been able to dock in Roatan when it's really windy. This happened recently there, and the ship went to Costa Maya instead. They may be able to substitute, they may not.

The smoking area on deck 5 is on the starboard side so that will not bother you.

I am a fluffy girl and I would not do the cave tubing as I have read you have to carry your tube threw the woods to the water and I don't think I could do that! Enjoy and have fun

While we have not sailed on the Dream, we have sailed with teens and we've done the same itinerary as you so I'll help what little I can.

The times that we sailed with our teens, they loved the O2 club! They made a lot of friends and I think are still in contact with some via FB even though that was several years ago.

As for Belize, we ported there during our cruise, however, we were not able to dock in Roatan. The announced it first thing that morning and reimbursed us for the port taxes. It wasn't much. I think it was about $10 per person. I think they planned some extra activities on board to help compensate but nothing really sticks out.

I hope this helps and I hope you guys have a BLAST! We're scheduled to sail on the Dream in November of this year and I can't wait!!

I've actually sailed on the Dream last August and we went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. Beautiful ship and great stops. I sailed your itinerary last week but on the Magic. Because of high crosswinds, we weren't able to dock bc it was unsafe. So they split our consecutive seas up and went to Costa Maya the next day.

We just took the Dream over spring break... I'll try to answer as best as I know....

I've read that sometimes the ship won't stop at Belize due to weather conditions. If they opt not to stop there, do we just have an extra sea day and how early would we know that we won't be tendering? Is it a frequent issue that the ship doesn't stop there? Sorry, not much help here but I read this about Roatan also but we made all three stops

DD is 15 and she hung out at O2 A LOT... have him go the first night as that when groups are formed although they have a lot of planned group activities that he could find other friends after that first night. We ended up giving DD a 1 am curfew each night

We have two cabins on the Vista deck (9th level). One is a port side balcony room midship. I've read about the Lanai deck being a problem for some balcony rooms above it - but will it be an issue for a 9th level room? Is smoking from that deck going to affect our balcony? We had three balcony cabins on deck 9 mid ship... yes you can hear some noise if you are on the balcony... also some noise from chairs scraping on the deck above but it wasn't bad and never kept us from sleeping and we took lots of daytime naps

I can only answer about the cave tubing. The tube made the hike a little more difficult. My arms got tired from holding it. I would switch arms when 1 got tired. But it's worth it. I really enjoyed the tubing and once you're on your tube you can relax. We did get out of the tube a couple of times to walk around in the cave but you don't have to hold on to your tube for this. The guides take care of them. Wear some supportive shoes that can get wet. I wore my Keen sandals.

We just came back from the Dream in Jan. , same itinerary. Cabins no issue, Belize maybe. We went with a company that you do not need to carry your tubes, but it is a hike. The river you have to cross holding onto a rope was about waist deep, strong current. It was amazing to walk through such a heavy jungle. It was muddy and slippery. My Mom who is 70 made it, she is fluffy and has bad knees. But ended up with Bot Flies in her arm, wear lots of bug spray!!

We are all glad we did it but never again.

Enjoy your trip

Others have said the smoking area is on Deck 5 of the PORT side. Just changed our cabin to starboard to avoid it. Can anyone confirm which side?

Yes Deck 5 on the lanai smoking is on the PORT side. On Deck 11 smoking is on the starboard side. I think that's where the confusion comes from.

My husband and I are taking our 16 (almost 17) year old grandson on the same cruise. I am also concerned about him interacting with other kids his age. He is very much into video games and computers, so we're hoping he will find others with the same interests. I've read that it's important to get them to the teen area at the beginning of the cruise.

We had a party of 5 with us when we went cave tubing. 3 of us are on the "fluffy" side and one of us has both knees replaced and everyone was fine. If you need to rest for a moment there was chances to do so . I would say the most "exhausting" part was carrying the tube with you on the hike since it was just bulky but other than that it was fine . I woukd do that excursion again no question.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
The lanai on deck 5 is more of an issue for the balconies right above it. From deck 9, it shouldn't be as big of an issue. Hopefully, you are not right over a hot tub. Even if you are, it's better to be on deck 9 than any lower, especially when above a hot tub.

For your 15-yr old, it's best for him to go to the club at the beginning of the cruise. They do seem to clique up rather quickly.

These big ships have sometimes not been able to dock in Roatan when it's really windy. This happened recently there, and the ship went to Costa Maya instead. They may be able to substitute, they may not.

We are booked in cabin 6436 for Jan 3, 2016 sail. I was not aware of the hot tubs on deck 5. Is this cabin above one of them? We will ask for a change if so. Thanks.

We are booked in cabin 6436 for Jan 3, 2016 sail. I was not aware of the hot tubs on deck 5. Is this cabin above one of them? We will ask for a change if so. Thanks.

Pal..... looks like we will be neighbors on the Jan cruise...

Edited by what-a-life

Regarding Belize/cave tubing- some of the private tours the guides have helpers who will carry the tubes for you. I don't recall the company we used a couple of years back, but we found that the cost was less than the carnival tour, less crowded, and it sure was nice not to have carry the tube! I am a big guy who has had two hip replacements, and had no problem with the walk.

It appears you will be above one of the big chess boards, not a hot tub.