Side of ship balcony or Aft balcony?

txflood33

Hello to all. It's been a while since I have been here as I don't cruise much. My wife and I went to the Mediterranean on the Reflection and were Aqua class and were on the Hump.

Today we just booked Aqua class on the Millenium in March 2020 to China, S Korea, Taiwan, and Japan. I learned that Millenium doesn't have the 'hump' that we really liked. We ended up with an A2 room 9099...but the X reservation agent said there was Aqua class rooms level 11 with aft balconies.

Through reading through this site for my last trip, I remember reading that aft balconies can end up with soot from the smoke stack/exhaust from the ship.

Is this an issue on the Millenium? Is the aft balcony/room better/worse?(I know this will be subjective on many levels). I'd love to hear some opinions before it's too late to change rooms.

Thanks......so excited for Asia.....2020 seems so far away now

We prefer the not true afts on deck 11, Such as 1110. Much prefer those cabins. Very quiet usually, and very convenient to Blu, the buffet, and the rear elevators. Some side cabins have slightly smaller balconies. Check the deck plans and you can see which is which.

Aqua class cabins 1138-1141 are true aft cabins on the M class ships. They are coveted for their wonderful balconies with partial cover over the deep verandas. The port and starboard deck 11 Aqua cabins have less cover. You can't use your balcony during rain like you can with the afts or even the deck 9 cabins.

We have enjoyed the aft cabins on several M class ships and never had a problem with ash or soot.

They are the most popular Aqua cabins and if you can one grab it.

Did you know that 9099 is directly under the pool deck? If you want a quieter Aqua cabin on deck 9 move aft of 9108 (starboard) or the same area on the port side. These cabins are under the carpeted area of the Lido.

This is all good info and I greatly appreciate it.

I was unaware of the smaller balconies on 9, and it doesn't sound as if soot is an issue either in this class/boat/anymore.

I just called and the true aft cabins mentioned earlier in this thread are not available. Are the other 'aft' cabins on deck 11 an improvement over 9099...such as 1136 or 1135?There are quite a few of the Aqua cabins available in this area. 1136 or 1135 are more aft than the others available...but also looks like it may be by a stairwell.

Trying not to be the indecisive traveler, but certainly know there are more/less noisy cabins and want to make a good selection for a relaxing 2 weeks.

Check out this thread (at the top of the page):

"M-Class Cabin Information Compilation - PLEASE - DO NOT POST CABIN QUESTIONS HERE!!!"

There are a lot of reviews of the various cabins. We have found it helpful in the past.

Edited by RealBatman
oops! changed to the M-class thread

Scroll down to the deck plans section of this page and click on deck 11 so you can see the layout.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-millennium

The true aft cabins are 1133, 1141, 1140, 1138 and 1130, in that order going from port to starboard. The numbering seems strange because the first two are considered on the port side so odd numbers the rest are starboard so even numbers.

We've had true aft cabins on Infinity, Constellation and Summit. They all have extra deep cabins but the deepest is 1140 in the center. We've never had a soot problem. Some complain about the noise from the movies on deck 12 but we've never had an issue.

Regards aft balconies I have a real problem with the fumes from the exhaust so I personally avoid anything towards the back of a ship. Especially where stack scrubbers have not been fitted. But it is a matter of personal choice.

I appreciate the advice and links to other threads here to utilize the info here. I couldn't get a true aft facing cabin but did move up to level 11...1136 to be exact. I am confident, based on reviews, it will be less noisy than being under the pool and near room steward storage.

I'm sure we will talk again as my questions overwhelm me...long time to read this board/excursion reviews/private tour reviews/vaccinations needed/Visas/etc

thanks again for the tips and guidance

I just recommended to someone on another thread that I thought 1136 MIGHT hear the slamming stairwell door, but I've not stayed in it so not 100% sure - I just know when we go between 11 and 10 that door is so heavy it just slips and slams sometimes even though we try to cushion it quietly.

I just recommended to someone on another thread that I thought 1136 MIGHT hear the slamming stairwell door, but I've not stayed in it so not 100% sure - I just know when we go between 11 and 10 that door is so heavy it just slips and slams sometimes even though we try to cushion it quietly.

Well, we will keep our fingers crossed :D:D:D:)

Hopefully if we hear a slam or 2 it will be less inconvenient than the pool noise

We were in 1136 for 30 days, several of which I was in bed with bronchitis and in the cabin all day. I remember very few door slams, but there was a sign on the door to shut it quietly. For the final 7 days of that cruise we moved to 1130 and it was fabulous. I would recommend you keep your eye on a site that shows occupancy as people do have to cancel sometimes. We just had 1138 booked for 30 days last April and had to cancel at the last minute, so it does happen. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise in whatever cabin you select.

We've had 1110 several times and it is excellent. But just a few cabins further aft lie 1114 1nd 1115, I think, and their balconies are larger. 1100 and 1101, I think, are by the doors to the deck and should be avoided, Hope my memory is right