COSTA vs MSC

st1100y2k

We cruised in 2004-2005 , was not that much CCL influence then, and before Concordia . After Concordia, Costa went down the drain ,many workers left and many things changed.
Wow, what changed? Why did employees leave?

Carnival absorbed Costa in 2000. Did you sail Costa before then? EM

I agree with GOLDENBONNY that this was not the important date. Carnival did not involve too much and not change things. Same like AIDA Cruises which did not change at all since Carnival absorbed them.

After the Concordia disaster things changed a lot. MSC started their big expension program and the match for Costa was lost. And then MSC started the status match program to finally knock down the old rival and also attack Carnival and RCCL on their own market instead just defending the home market.

I don´t know the plans for Costa, I know they are strong in China and want to expand there.

I believe it started on the Princess board, where they appeared to be rationing the pats of butter in the MDR. EM

No, it was some early reports that MSC Seaview did not offer butter pats. People started reporting one way or the other as to whether butter was available, and posting pictures of packaging that some disagreed whether a fancy high quality European butter or an oleo type product. Was dubbed “buttergate”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, it was some early reports that MSC Seaview did not offer butter pats.

It was on MSC SEASIDE , not Seaview. MSC Seaview is cruising the Mediterranean Sea with European quality butter on board... I hope.

We sailed with Costa back in the late 80s and early 90s. They were very good back then with fine food and entertainment. Seems like when Carnival bought them the product took a nosedive. We have now sailed with MSC 4 times with a 5th coming up in September, very pleased with MSC but they still do things a little different than our 2 other favorite lines, HAL and Princess with nothing major. Bottom line, stick with MSC.