FYI Navigator to Cancel ports in Guatemala and Nicaragua

Yikes! My comment about viewers interfering with runners was meant as a joke. Sorry for any offense. Now, I will try, again--for a pun. Just giving fair warning.

Having observed the first, and second series of locks during the morning part of our completed Canal transit--I repaired to Coffee Connection for a short break and a bagel.

That will suffice.

As for Cartagena excursion. We took a four hour city tour which included portions of the "Old City". Fortress, Church, Gold Museum, Inquisition, and history of Emerald mining were featured. Excellent guide and driver. Fair warning. As cautioned by our guide, the street sellers were constant, and close. No intimidation, but persistent to the point of distraction. The heat/humidity was an issue for a few folks--me included. This is the start of the rainy season. Thankfully, our route of foot travel included several stops in air conditioned areas.

Back to ship in time for afternoon tea. Again, music provided by the pianist from the band. His "background" selections at several teas have been like mini-recitals. Yesterday it was Chopin, Schubert, and Debussy. What a nice way to recover from the heat and humidity.

Day at sea today, which is a bit-rough. On to, Hey Mon, Jamaica.

That's it.

GOARMY!

Probably last posting. We are on a very calm Atlantic 1 1/2 days from NYC. Similar conditions are predicted to continue until arrival. In no particular order, some random thoughts:

1. Stop at Port Antonio, Jamaica. This was at a resort area off the beaten path. Other than another opportunity to participate in a Canal transit, the highlight of our trip. No Regent-hosted shore excursions. We were met by a retired British Army Officer and his wife who live in the area. Our association goes back many years. A tour, followed by lunch at their residence. So, cannot comment as to other offered outings.

2. Entertainment. The 12-member Singer/Dance Troup is by-far the best we have seen on any Regent ship. No weak links. Dancing is at the highest level.

3. Individual performers. Unexpected plus as to performance of classical piano music. This has been detailed earlier. Both the lead pianist in the band, and the fellow who usually plays at evening dance or cocktail venues, are accomplished professionals. Several mini-recitals were performed, usually at teatime. This resulted from a deluge of requests to Cruise Director Ray Solaire. Bowing to popular demand, Ray worked his usual rescheduling magic to make these performances happen. Of course, we attended Ray's performances. He does not miss a beat.

4. Bridge. (The game; not that other Bridge) My wife and I no-longer join Bridge groups. However, noted continued high level of attendance in the card room. The couple teaching classes scheduled sessions for beginners, intermediates, and self-proclaimed advance players. When in-doubt: default to Three No Trump. (Not meant in a political way, for sure.)

5. Cuisine. With exception of steaks (which we have not sampled over the last 14 days--see earlier comments), consistently wonderful. What should be served hot, on hot plates, is hot; what is not to be served hot, is not. Ordered miso-glazed sea bass three times (with the appropriate 48-hours notice given on two occasions when that particular course was not on the menu). Same high quality. Specialty Pool Grill lunch offerings were, well, special. Including today's. Just arrive early at Le Veranda; obtain a table; then forage inside and outside.

6. Wine selection. It is, of course, a matter of taste. We have been served wonderful white and red wines from various countries. The servers go out of their way to please. My wife likes a certain variety of Chilean red. They found it; kept it; and served it. Others may have other opinions. Mine is that there has been no need to go to the Reserve List, unless one wants to dispense OBCs in this regard.

7. Salon/Spa. My wife took full advantage of OBCs, and some additional ones after we booked a future cruise during this segment. A series of appointments. I specifically asked her to note if undue pressure was put as to "upsale". This has been the subject of comment on other Threads. No, not in her case. Yes, the prices are high. But, Sue believed the services rendered were professional in every respect. Particularly the full-body massage.

8. Location of hidden sanctum sanctorum. Now, do not share this with anyone--But folks have asked how to get away from the crowds. Not that there are than many on Navigator. Other than retreating to your Suite, suggest obtaining an iced tea or other libation around 1100H. Deck 10. Starboard side. Walk aft around the exterior service area. Continue to stern. There are tables already set-up for lunch. But, no one will be there prior to opening of La Veranda. Just sit there and contemplate the ship's wake and the horizon. No noise other than that unique Navigator rumble.

That is it.

Next year--Silversea; then river boats in central France; then Explorer, 09/2019 London to London.

Signing off the Net.

GOARMY!

• 2 weeks later...
Drib: Yes, that is the exact "Producers" quote. I do the best I can, from memory. Now, before I know it--will provide lines from another great Greg Peck movie: "The Big Country" with Jean Simmons and Chuck Conners. Oh, have we ever wandered off-thread. So what.

The Beryl Ives character opines: "Blanko Canyons going to run red with blood!". Somehow, will fit this into context in a further offering.

As to other Officers. Dinner tonight (BTW Miso glazed sea bass was on the menu) with Staff Engineering Officer and Personnel Officer and folks from USA and UK, included a retired British Colonel and his spouse. Of course, wife and I had the sea bass. Most pleasant, and compatible gathering. And, the single lady seated next to my wife and me will also be aboard our March 14, 2020 Splendor LA to Miami segment. Small world.

GOARMY!

Please ask the "single lady" to join our roll call for the 14/3/20 cruise if she hasn't already!! And also please continue to post these interesting comments!!

This is a much-belated FINAL entry. But, a few loose ends need to be tied up.

First, appreciate folks' comments, one way or the other, as to my sense of humor. I have met several of you on previous Regent cruises. Try not to offend anyone with rye remarks. Actually, I do not enjoy rye, or whiskey. But, that is another matter.

However, concerning Regent wine offerings: There have been postings on another Thread as to paucity of quality red wines offered by Regent. Not our experience. For example: my wife asked for alternatives to the initial reds offered for dinner at Compass Rose. She was then presented with a Sokol Bloosser, Oregon Pinot Noir. Delicious. I normally defer to white. But, this was special.

So, we occasionally shared this particular wine either at lunches or dinners. Yes, Regent remembered Sue's preference. No additional charge.

Upon return to our Redmond, WA home, checked as to availability of that wine. Total Wines, a local retail outlet which advertises availability of about 5,000 different wines, lists this particular wine at about $40.00 per bottle. Thus, our experience dispensed with the myth that Regent has "cheapened down" on wine availability.

Here is the bottom line based on 16+years' experience on Raddison/Regent: Simply ask for something else, if what is initially offered does not meet expectations. It will be provided, with no hassle.

Second: Transfer off Navigator on June 21st at the NYC Terminal (rather than Brooklyn) was efficient. A courteous porter assisted us in obtaining our bags; and "navigating" to a quiet spot in an adjacent area while awaiting our private transfer to a B&B at Brooklyn location. (Next three days spent with our son and grandchildren at Brooklyn and NYC. Great fun.)

Third. The debacle. Thanks, United Airlines, for providing a totally-unnecessary and miserable experience attempting a scheduled June 24th return from Newark Airport to SEATAC. Regent paid for these tickets. Without dredging up this matter for about the fourth time--(letters/emails have already been sent to United "Customer Care"--actually an oxymoron; our TA; the New Jersey Office of Consumer Protection; and the New Jersey BBB)--suffice to say my wife and I spent ((along with about 175 other fellow passengers aboard United Flt. 2151)) a miserable late night on the 24th and early morning of June 25th at the Newark Terminal. Lounge closed. No food; no offer of a hotel. Just find two seats, and hunker down. Gads. Total lack of concern by United. It will be interesting to see what response we get from United on this matter.

Sorry to end my Thread on a sour note. But, as always, the air component of the cruise usually turns out to be the most problematical. The fortunate aspect is that this did NOT occur when we were traveling from SEATAC to Los Angeles to begin this cruise segment. When "stuff happens", that is when the airline has the opportunity to show real concern for customers. In United's case, on this occasion, total failure. Anyway, we did, finally arrive at our Redmond home pooped and about 18 hours behind schedule.

In case one might wonder what happened. Well, United failed the most elementary competency test. This is to properly schedule the Pilot and First Officer to show up for this Newark Flight.to join our happy group, already onboard. Their tardy arrival, one by one, caused two-two debarkations. Then, of course, a weather delay. Then, naturally, as our plane was finally moving down the tarmac for take-off: "Sorry, folks", announces the Pilot. "Your flight team has run-out-the clock as to this month's allocated flight hours. So, we must return to the Gate." Yep. total incompetence.

O.K. That is enough.

Best to all

GOARMY!

• 2 weeks later...

Update and referral:

It has now been three weeks since our Newark Airport experience detailed in my last (July 6th) posting. No response has been received concerning my letter to United Airlines' "Customer [Do Not Care] Care" Vice President. Similar lack of response from the New Jersey Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division. My TA will, therefore, provide a copy of my complaint letter to UA to Regent.

Referral: See today's new Thread started by poss. TItle: Note about Newark Airport. A bit-different scenario; same awful overall experience.

GO ARMY!