Dinner Water

jstrutton

Was just curious and this has probably already been answered. But we are on the TA Divina in March. At dinner, do they give us free water or do we have to pay for their water package.

I seem to have read somewhere that if the cruise start in US, they give US passengers "tap" water and don't require us to pay for the bottled water at dinner.

Thanks for any clarification

Jay

I'm currently on a Med cruise and am non American. We have to pay for water in the MDR but it is free in the buffet (tap + ice). Cost 2.90 euro plus 15% service for a one litre bottle.

Thanks for the quick response. That is what I was thinking. But it will be interesting on the TA cruise. They leave Miami for NY, then Bermuda. So we get free "tap" water for the North American piece, but I can't imagine they would switch over to the European model (pay for water) for the remaining stops in Europe. They will really be flaky, but I've seen stranger things happen

Jay

The water program is dependent on where you book your cruise. MSCamerica.com would be for those booking in the US and the water amenity is added to cruise. We are sailing Mediterranean next spring and saw water package was added to our booking. Those booking in UK or Europe or Australia /New Zealand etc do not have water on their booking unless purchased. I think MSC did this to further attract American cruisers . Many Americans complained that they could not get a glass of water in MDR unless they paid. It is a cultural thing for us. In Europe, paying for water is normal.

Being given tap water free of charge is standard practice in NZ too. I hate having to pay for it and I also dislike that it is another plastic bottle being used each night at dinner instead of just a reusable carafe/jug of water on the table.

Hopefully MSC will wise up and just include tap water, tea and coffee on all sailings. I think most cruiselines include this as a standard offering. Those who want sparkiling water or bottled water can pay for that preference.

When we were in France, we asked for water “une carafe d’eau”. Which was water from tap in a carafe. This was usually no charge.

Edited by phissy

I doubt very much that they'll serve tap water in the MDR on Med cruises; I believe that it'll be bottled water (with a choice of still/natural or sparkling) included in the new "water, tea and coffee" package for UK and Ireland bookings. I may be wrong, though. :confused:

Would be great, but I don´t see this happen in the near future. The water is a too important income factor for MSC from their main markets.

I wonder if MSC introduced the new policy for UK and Ireland bookings due to receiving an inordinate number of complaints as we don't have a culture of paying for water (unlike mainland Europeans). :confused:

Am I reading this thread correctly? Is the OP saying and others are confirming that on this MSC TA cruise, that 1/2 of the cruise the TAP water is free and then on 1/2 of the cruise the TAP water you have to PAY for?

Or is it ONLY bottled water that you have to pay for? ANY kind of bottled water ... fizzy/flat, etc.

Am I reading this thread correctly? Is the OP saying and others are confirming that on this MSC TA cruise, that 1/2 of the cruise the TAP water is free and then on 1/2 of the cruise the TAP water you have to PAY for?

Or is it ONLY bottled water that you have to pay for? ANY kind of bottled water ... fizzy/flat, etc.

Not exactly. It has been the practice of MSC for a cruise departing Europe, UK, etc, that there is a charge for bottled non-fizzy, non-sparkling water. MSC is finding that paying for tap water in many markets that they are trying to break into or get a bigger market share. It is common in Europe to pay for bottled water, fizzy, sparkling, or not.

I think they are changing their policies according to different markets, but what confuses me is that while sitting in a MDR, your servers will have to know where your booking originated to figure out what water "program" you are on.

Not exactly. It has been the practice of MSC for a cruise departing Europe, UK, etc, that there is a charge for bottled non-fizzy, non-sparkling water*. MSC is finding that paying for tap water in many markets that they are trying to break into or get a bigger market share. It is common in Europe to pay for bottled water, fizzy, sparkling, or not.

I think they are changing their policies according to different markets, but what confuses me is that while sitting in a MDR, your servers will have to know where your booking originated to figure out what water "program" you are on.

Not a problem for the crew as there'll be a code on your cruisecard indicating the package you have.

*They charge for both still/natural AND fizzy/sparkling water (just to clarify the point).

CruiseGal ... MSC never charges for tap water - bottled water only.