Splendour otS greek isles picture review

Hi Guys,

in May this year we did the greek isle cruise on the beautiful splendour of the seas after the dry dock :) i can recommend such a "small" ship after being on allure, oasis and navigator. It´s funny to know and see people daily and not only once a time in a week like on oasis with 6.000 pax :p

The refurbishment of the splendour is pretty good, new carpets on floors and cabins (furniture in cabin is not new!) and also a new atrium design/interior. But on a second view you will even see that the splendour is quite an old ship.

The ports of call were very interesting especially santorini with awesome views (you find on 99 percent on every greek postcard ;)) and katakolon with the old olympia!

I just uploaded some of the greatest pictures on my flickr fotostream:

Enjoy,

greetings from Germany

Rene

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos. Where is the town with the white buildings?

it´s called "Oia" you could drive by taxi to this small village for approx. 15euro one way for two person! The ride takes round about 15minutes. Definitly a must see if you get to santorini :)

thanks, i´m just preparing the fotostream of oasis, navigator and allure :) and will let you know!

@Bill: it was great, but next time a little bit later in the year. Sometimes the wind was pretty cold outside. So we wrapped into the towels to get some tanning :cool:

Hey Rene,

Great pics! We are sailing on Splendour in 3 weeks!..Quick question, how noisy/quiet was your cabin? We too are on deck 3 outside cabin.

Thanks,

Allie

Hey Allie,

noise in the cabin was ok...not more and not less...Our other cabins on navigator, allure and oasis were always higher like deck 8 or 12 and they are more quiet. The sound on splendour was a mix of machine room and air cond. But there was every night sweet dreams :) But you heared a big difference if the ship was in port and the machine don´r run...

Hey Allie,

noise in the cabin was ok...not more and not less...Our other cabins on navigator, allure and oasis were always higher like deck 8 or 12 and they are more quiet. The sound on splendour was a mix of machine room and air cond. But there was every night sweet dreams :) But you heared a big difference if the ship was in port and the machine don´r run...

Hi Rene!

Thanks for the info:D As long as it wasn't to noisy, we should be ok. We have sailed on the bigger ships with balcony cabins ( noisy neighbors! ) and smaller ships lower deck ( seemed quieter) I shall report back;)

Rene1103

First I wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures. I will be on that cruise in less than 2 months and it has been hard to find reviews on it. I just have a couple questions for you.

In Santorini I assume it was DIY port for you guys, was it a time crunch get back and forth between the two towns?

How did you all get back and forth between the 2 towns?

Also in Katakolon, was this also a DIY? If it was how did you get to Olympia and was the travel diffuclt?

Thanks again for the pictures and I look forward to your answers.

Rene1103

First I wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures. I will be on that cruise in less than 2 months and it has been hard to find reviews on it. I just have a couple questions for you.

In Santorini I assume it was DIY port for you guys, was it a time crunch get back and forth between the two towns?

How did you all get back and forth between the 2 towns?

Also in Katakolon, was this also a DIY? If it was how did you get to Olympia and was the travel diffuclt?

Thanks again for the pictures and I look forward to your answers.

Hey, sorry for late reply. I found a review that may interested you http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-ships/76933/Splendour-of-the-Seas.html

Regarding your question to santorin:

you will throw the anchor at santorin because the port is too small for such big ships :p the tendering will need approx 5min to the port. After you get to the port you could drive by cable train or donkey up to the village called Fira. From Fira to Oia (that village with all the white houses and blue roofs, seeing in my flickr album) it takes a taxi ride round about 15minutes each way. Only 7miles one way.

In Oia, its a really small village, you don´t need much time. Its up to you. But more than enough time to take your personal dream picture and buy some souvenirs. Taxis/Cabs are on demand so you do not have to wait for it.

the most important information for you is the advice to get your tender ticket (no. 1 - 12) early in the morning 8AM at the guest service. Don´t do the mistake to get there at 9AM or later. Because at least you get a ticket no. like 7 or up and that means you will get tender with the boat no. 7. And believe it takes time to get 2000 people in tender boats. So early bird get the best tender tickets!

Katakolon: just off the ship, walk straight through the port street into the bend, right side. There are some fun fair rides and in front is a train station. Just buy a ticket in front of the rail (10 euro return). Its a train shuttle from Katakolon to Olympia and back. A ride takes approx. 40minutes. Very easy to use. And from olympia train station to olympia just 5minutes by walk. Trust me you will not be the only one who will take this method to get cheap to olympia! If you are on deck while the ship is getting in port watch the train. Then you see where you have to walk.

Any questions? Feel free to ask :)

Greetings from Germany

Rene

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting!

Sharon

you´re welcome :-) right next to the splendour album the second one of oasis in january is also online at

now i am working on the navigator album :D

greetings

Thank you so much for posting!! This is the cruise we hope to take in 2014 for our 10th Anniversary. My husband's family is from Mykonos and Katakolon. Thank you for including the link to your photos; you were blessed with beautiful weather!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived