Condition of Grand Case town and beach?

Vasil13

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I can answer my own question. We went to Grand Case a few days ago, taxi took us there, no problem. The ride took about 30 min, and we got to see a bit a the French side on our way there. A lot of debris, a lot of damage, not much of construction going on. The town looks completely deserted, despite multiple reports of restaurants reopening everything was closed except one local food shack. The beach itself is a long narrow stretch of sand lined with damaged buildings. No facilities, no chairs, no shade. The water is beautiful, but without shade it was impossible to stay on the beach for more than a few minutes.

Rainbow cafe was our plan too, it was closed. It wasn't clear if it was closed permanently or just that day. There was only one ship in port that day, and I think we might have been the only people who went to Grand Case. Maybe there is more life in town when there are more ships.

That's really weird. Their Facebook makes it seem as if they are partying everyday.

Did you go somewhere else?

We are thinking of doing a tour if GC isn't an option. Also, how much was the cab to GC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IDK, maybe it happens on weekends or in the evenings. The cab was $25 for two people. We went to Mullet beach, but by the time we got there it was really hot and the beach itself wasn't that exciting, so we went back to the ship. With the three taxi rides we pretty much did a full circle through the island, so we considered it a kind of a tour.

Was at Rainbow cafe on 5/19 (Saturday).

It was great. Good food and drink service and chairs spread across the beach.

Seemed to be up and running rather well. Not sure why it was closed when you visited.

We were in St. Martin last week and toured with Bernard Tours. Due to the damage at Orient Beach, we were taken to Rainbow Cafe at Grand Case instead. Town definitely had damage, but the beach was beautiful. Cafe had loungers and umbrellas for rent. It was quite busy aside from our tour. There were two ships in port that day. It was Wednesday, 5/30.