My LOST bag was delivered by celebrity AFTER TWO WEEKS

miraprincess

i completed a two week cruise with celebrity to Alaska. Upon arrival I couldnt find my bag. I spend over one hour and finally had to lodge a missing bag complain. This entire exercise took 2 hours extra from my time.

I communicated with Celebrity cruise head office and was told that they will try to locate it. After ten days they told me they had it in Vancouver, BC. After making several attempts to have it delivered, they sent it to a different address than I was staying and I had to collect it. My bag came after exactly two weeks.

I had to go through many difficulties since I was in transit and without my personal belongings, that was in the main suitecase, I had to buy many items. I spent over $2000 in the two weeks that I was missing my main bag.

I wrote to Celebrity cruises to compensate me for the extra expenses I had incurred.

I had to send them reminders and after several attempts I received a reply that they will not compensate me for anything.

I feel really terrible that if they had lost the bag why should they not take the responsibility to compensate the passenger. My bag was received in a horrible condition and I had to broken items inside.

Has anyone else experienced similar experience?

Thanks

The question I have for you is, what in the world did you HAVE to buy during the 2 weeks that added up to over $2000? I could understand a few hundred on necessities and some inexpensive clothing, and they might have considered reimbursing you for some of that. However, when you submitted a bill for over $2000, the person who saw it most likely dismissed it out of hand for being so outrageous.

Did you not have any clothes in your carry on bag at all?

Did you have full travel insurance? If not, I am not sure what they might do for you.

We spend a nearly week in Europe without our two bags, delayed in flights due to weather, yet we made the ship by just a few minutes! One bag showed up 5 nights later; we were so happy to see it! The second bag showed up 30 days to the day we sailed, but shipped to our home! We were appropriately reimbursed for the many items we had to buy during the absence of the first bag. I was in the process of filing a claim for the contents of the second bag when it appeared.

It is entirely possible—especially since you said that your bag was located in Vancouver and not aboard ship—that your bag was misdirected and/or mishandled by the stevedores who offload luggage from the ship, manage its shoreside delivery, and perform other related loading/unloading duties while in port. Those workers are employed by the local Port Authority (or a local agent they have subcontracted) and not by the cruise line; related expenses—including others associated with all aspects of port operation—are assessed to the cruise line at each port and, in turn, are passed on to guests via a per person billing for port taxes/fees... Fact is, contracts with those agencies and—in turn—their union contracts with their employees, strictly prohibit cruise line employees from performing any aspect of such work off-ship.

Celebrity served as intermediary in locating/arranging for return of your bag but—unless you can prove that it went missing and/or was damaged as a direct consequence of action/inaction aboard ship—they have no liability for the incident. Haven’t looked but I suspect that you’ll find related text in the cruise contract; you agreed to its terms (perhaps electronically) when you completed check-in.

As others have noted, your best recourse in the absence of fact is to file a well-documented claim with your trip insurance carrier. They will review and, upon validation, adjudicate payment under the terms of the policy (they can vary widely) you purchased. In turn and at the insurer’s discretion based upon their fact finding, they may/may not choose to subrogate the claim (ie; seek reimbursement for their payment to you) from Vancouver Port Authority and/or Celebrity if “fault” is found to be attributable with certainty.

i completed a two week cruise with celebrity to Alaska. Upon arrival I couldnt find my bag. I spend over one hour and finally had to lodge a missing bag complain. This entire exercise took 2 hours extra from my time.

I communicated with Celebrity cruise head office and was told that they will try to locate it. After ten days they told me they had it in Vancouver, BC. After making several attempts to have it delivered, they sent it to a different address than I was staying and I had to collect it. My bag came after exactly two weeks.

I had to go through many difficulties since I was in transit and without my personal belongings, that was in the main suitecase, I had to buy many items. I spent over $2000 in the two weeks that I was missing my main bag.

I wrote to Celebrity cruises to compensate me for the extra expenses I had incurred.

I had to send them reminders and after several attempts I received a reply that they will not compensate me for anything.

I feel really terrible that if they had lost the bag why should they not take the responsibility to compensate the passenger. My bag was received in a horrible condition and I had to broken items inside.

Thanks

Trip insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The question I have for you is, what in the world did you HAVE to buy during the 2 weeks that added up to over $2000? I could understand a few hundred on necessities and some inexpensive clothing, and they might have considered reimbursing you for some of that. However, when you submitted a bill for over $2000, the person who saw it most likely dismissed it out of hand for being so outrageous.

Did you not have any clothes in your carry on bag at all?

Thank you!! I was thinking the same thing!!

I think I remember from reading other similar threads that Celebrity’s stated liability is only $300 in any case for lost luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the ticket contract limits liability to $300 for lost or damaged property, not replacement costs during period when property is "lost". It also removes their liability when property is in the hands of third parties, such as the port authority and their contracted longshoremen.

Firstly so sorry you had a lost bag, always an upsetting and stressful situation.

If I am reading correctly your bag was missing at the end of your cruise, after disembarking? How much at that stage of your cruise would the loss be the responsibility of the port or the responsibility of Celebrity? There is also a real possibility that another guest took it by mistake and then later returned it to the port. In all situations travel insurance would seem the way forward.

We recently claimed on insurance for some delayed baggage and found our insurance company very reasonable. As others have said, however, $2,000 is a significant amount to claim especially as you now have your bag back. I think our policy had a phrase in it something like ‘necessary purchases’. I suggest you read your insurance documents carefully before submitting a claim then you will know exactly what you can claim for (necessary purchases, broken items, damage to bag?).

I don’t think any policy compensates you for inconvenience, upset or stress, just the practicalities. Our philosophy when our suitcases went on a walkabout was to not let it spoil our holiday. Put in an insurance claim then try to put this unfortunate experience behind you and reflect on the pleasure you had on your cruise.

Despite the explanation above as to who handled the bag, Celebrity is responsible to you up to the limit stated in your contract.

Yes, the ticket contract limits liability to $300 for lost or damaged property, not replacement costs during period when property is "lost". It also removes their liability when property is in the hands of third parties, such as the port authority and their contracted longshoremen.

I am not an attorney, SoCalTraveler, but my understanding--as noted in my earlier post--is consistent with the comments provided by chengkp75.

Following is excerpted from current Celebrity's Cruise Contract as available via the FAQ section of their website [sorry, some of the spacing/formatting seems to have been lost in the "cut/paste" process]... To the extent shared with us here, the Original Poster does not seem to have tangible evidence substantiating negligence by Celebrity.

3. BAGGAGE, PROPERTY ANDLIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: a) Baggage Limits and Prohibited Items. Each adultPassenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearingapparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, includingsuitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing,toiletries and similar items. In no event shall any Passenger bring on boardthe Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the Land Tour, any illegalcontrolled substances, fireworks, live animals (except under the terms ofSection 12.d below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous materials,or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy. Carrierreserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board theVessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

b) Liability for Loss of orDamage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liablefor any loss of or damage to Passenger’s property, whether contained in luggageor otherwise. Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger’s property inconnection with any air or ground transportation shall be the soleresponsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicablelimitations. c) Limitation of Liability for Lost or Damage. Notwithstanding anyother provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier’s liability for loss ordamage to property during the Land Tour portion of a CruiseTour is limited to$300.00 per Passenger. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or thisAgreement, Carrier’s liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise(or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) is limited to $300.00 perPassenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writingto the address specified in Section 10.a below and pays Carrier within 10 days offinal payment for the cruise, a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that suchvalue exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier’s liability shall be limited toits true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000. d) Limited Carriage. Carrierdoes not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods,(including but not limited to appliances and furniture) fragile or valuableitems, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or othervaluables, including but not limited to those specified in Title 46 of theUnited States Code, Appendix Section 181. Each Passenger warrants that no suchitem will be presented to Carrier within any receptacle or container asbaggage, and hereby releases Carrier from any liability whatsoever for loss ofor damage to such items when presented to Carrier in breach of this warranty.In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage orproperty, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper,photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware,eyewear, medications or other valuables unless they are deposited with Carrieron the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt (LTOs do not accept valuables fordeposit). Carrier’s liability, if any, for loss of or damage to valuables sodeposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Section 3.c above.

After just reading the title I was thinking, "That's great! It took only 2 weeks and you were reunited with your lost bag!" I've heard of people whose luggage was lost and never recovered.

$2000 is a bit much unless you had some kind of big, formal event which required the purchase of a gown.

Realize this, they have no tracking system. Baggage tags are not numbered. Airlines number your baggage tag and can track it most of the time. This is another reason we do express walk off and just carry our own bags off at the end of a cruise. If I could carry them on at embarkation I would do that too.

We had it happen once in San Juan getting off of the Summit. The response from the staff was "you are kidding me, right?". My response "No, I just like to make this stuff up for the fun of it....". Like I said, just do express walk off and you don't have to worry about someone else walking off with your bag because it looked like theirs.

you don't have to worry about someone else walking off with your bag because it looked like theirs.

We do something different with our bags as well to keep people from mistaking our bags with theirs. We have the normal black luggage set (seems everyone has these...lol). We place some brightly colored duct tape (at this time yellow) on them (all the way around lengthwise) so that not only can we know which ones are ours coming off the luggage turnstile at the airport, but can spot them a mile away. Not to say someone wouldn't take them, but there is no way they would think they were theirs by accident. I have seen some people use ribbons, but these can come off so we went with something uglier but more practical.

Thanks

This post illustrates the importance of having trip insurance and packing appropriately. It wasn't mentioned by the OP so the assumption is they didn't have trip insurance. But why do people in this situation think that tattling to cruise critic will somehow get Celebrity to compensate?

This post illustrates the importance of having trip insurance and packing appropriately. It wasn't mentioned by the OP so the assumption is they didn't have trip insurance. But why do people in this situation think that tattling to cruise critic will somehow get Celebrity to compensate?

I don't think the OP came back at all, did she?

I think it's more of a venting, Celebrity bashing and they thought CC would jump on board and bash with them. Well, THAT didn't happen! :')