transfers from Ft.L. to Miami

Meldom

We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale but sailing out of Miami and were told we would be shuttled to Miami Port, going on the Celebrity Equinox. Anyone have any info if it works OK. we have never had to shuttle before..

Did you book a transfer with Celebrity? We use private shuttle services or Uber. Only did a cruise line transfer from airport to ship once and that was in Europe. Worked ok, we just had to wait about an hour for others on the same bus to arrive,

We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale but sailing out of Miami and were told we would be shuttled to Miami Port, going on the Celebrity Equinox. Anyone have any info if it works OK. we have never had to shuttle before..

I haven't personally taken the Celebrity transfer from FLL to Miami because we usually fly in a day or so early and visit friends but I can tell you that every time I land I see representatives from X and other lines waiting for people with transfers and I don't see many complaints on CC about people not being picked up. It's so close though, it's probably cheaper to take a taxi or car service. Go transport has a stand right outside the door and you just walk up to them (or reserve on line) and choose private or shared vehicle..I've used them many times and never had a problem.

I would take an Uber. It is a lot cheaper and you don't have to wait around for the transfer. We did the transfer once and it was nice because they take your luggage and you don't have to worry about that again, but you have to wait around until a number of people show up. If i recall correctly the first transfer was not until about 10 am. We flew in rather early and had to sit and wait in the airport, which was kind of boring. After the first time, we would take an Uber to a coffee shop or restaurant around port or head to the port directly around 9 am. We usually fly the red eye and get in around 6 am.

I second the Uber suggestion. Have used them a few times for FLL to the Port of Miami. Very reasonable and reliable. With Uber, returns to FLL from POM can be reserved in advance, which makes the return from the ship simple. Note that from FLL to POM, however, the standard app request for a ride must be used.

I second the Uber suggestion. Have used them a few times for FLL to the Port of Miami. Very reasonable and reliable. With Uber, returns to FLL from POM can be reserved in advance, which makes the return from the ship simple. Note that from FLL to POM, however, the standard app request for a ride must be used.

How does reserving in advance work? I mean, how do you know exactly when the ship will be cleared and you can get thru the Immigration line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Meldom… Are you doing a pre-cruise stay? Don't use SAS. Great rates but very unreliable and horrible customer service!! :mad:

I was just going to recommend SAS. We used them last year and they were so awesome with the changes and cancellations that we had right after the hurricane. Was very impressed with them. Using them again this year!

Meldom… Are you doing a pre-cruise stay? Don't use SAS. Great rates but very unreliable and horrible customer service!! :mad:

We have used SAS previously and just booked them for next month. What problem did you have? We haven’t had a problem.

How does reserving in advance work? I mean, how do you know exactly when the ship will be cleared and you can get thru the Immigration line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just picked a mid-morning time that we felt would allow enough time to disembark and get through customs. We did not have any issues. You can also call for a pick up as you normally would as well. Both methods work.

Uber/Lyft will run somewhere around $40 between FLL and POM for a standard car suitable for 2 people with reasonable luggage.

But don't bet the farm on it. Due to an airline error I had to make the round trip from MiA to FLL to pick up my luggage. Uber's original quote was for $104 one way. I refused that wonderful offer but reconsidered an hour later and the rate had dropped to $63. I wound up paying $124 for the round trip, ending at my hotel in Miami. Believe me, I was thankful as it was by that time quite late in the evening and at least we had all our luggage. But Uber rates fluctuate depending on time of day and how busy they are. Stands to reason.:)

Yes there is surge pricing. I've never had it be an issue with the times I've used it in the southern Florida area. The shared ride services such as SAS MJS QLS are also economical shared ride solutions. There is much more info on this topic over on the Florida Homeport pages.

I was just going to recommend SAS. We used them last year and they were so awesome with the changes and cancellations that we had right after the hurricane. Was very impressed with them. Using them again this year!

We also have used SAS in the past. No issues, that's why we used them again earlier this year for our Fort Lauderdale/Miami transportation. Going down to Miami no issues same as the past. The return back to Fort Lauderdale was horrible service and between the driver and Steve (the owner) they couldn't even come up with the same lie!!:mad: Based on only that one horrible unacceptable experience we will never use or recommend SAS again.

We use SAS every time and have never had a problem. In fact one time they had a drive wait for us at the airport for 2 hours due to a flight delay even though it was very late in the day, past the hours they day they will do Miami hotel runs. My mom and I were actually on the plane using Wi-Fi trying to figure out car rental and uber back up options! We are using them again in a week and a half.

We also have used SAS in the past. No issues, that's why we used them again earlier this year for our Fort Lauderdale/Miami transportation. Going down to Miami no issues same as the past. The return back to Fort Lauderdale was horrible service and between the driver and Steve (the owner) they couldn't even come up with the same lie!!:mad: Based on only that one horrible unacceptable experience we will never use or recommend SAS again.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

We try not to fly out of FLL if the ship is docking in POM, but we prefer staying in Ft Lauderdale pre cruise. For us airfare is the same whether we fly in/out FLL or MIA. We will stick with SAS for our transfer to the port. We use Uber to get from the ship to the airport.

We have used SAS previously and just booked them for next month. What problem did you have? We haven’t had a problem.

Again this was our fourth time using SAS because we have always had good experiences. But not this time which for us makes it our last time using SAS. Got off the Equinox at 8:15 AM, gathered our luggage, hired a porter, through customs and to SASs predetermined pickup location. Fast and easy just like past experiences. Called Steve at 9:00 AM and advised him we are at the pickup location. Driver is on his way and will be there NLT 30 minutes. Life is good. We’ve got a 1:00 PM flight.No problem. Forty five minutes later I called Steve, driver is on his way. Another forty five minutes later I called Steve again, the driver is on his way. 20 minutes later the driver calls me, change of pickup location. So we have to know schlep three large pieces of luggage to a drop off area through masses of people with luggage waiting for rides and through others with luggage getting off their rides to start their cruise. Finally (about 11:00 AM) meet up with the driver. We are the only two on the 14 passenger van. But not for long.The driver informs us he know needs to make the rounds to pick up others scattered between 5 different cruise ships. Great! So we have to completely leave the very congested port area because we are now in the drop off area and have to make the huge circle in slow moving traffic to reenter the port pickup areas. Now the driver gets a call from Steve, two couples without reservations need rides. Now we have a full van and way too much luggage. He should have had a trailer to put luggage in. So now the driver has to unload the packed van and repack it to accommodate all the extra luggage.The driver even had to cram some of the smaller roller boards up in the passenger area. A lot of disgruntled riders. About an hour later around noon we now make the slow trek back through the contested port area to get on I-95. Slow travels heading North to Fort Lauderdale due to construction and the carpool lane shut down. We arrive at Fort Lauderdale airport too late to make our 1:00 PM flight. I paid the driver,no tip, grabbed our luggage to check-in. Last call for our flight and we aren’t there. First time ever for us! I blame myself for not grabbing a cab after the first late call to SAS. I hadn’t paid for the return trip yet. Delta did put us on standby for a later flight at no cost. Actually the flight left about an hour after our original flight. We made that flight and were able to get seats together. So this is why we will never ever use SAS again. :mad:

What a horror story, davekathy. I would have given them until 10AM and then found other means. But when previous experience is good, it's hard to make a move, sometimes. Once burnt, twice wary

We had a similar experience in Rome but without the pressure of a missed flight. Our pre-arranged driver never showed. I spent an hour walking the terminal looking for him before we finally got wise and grabbed another ride at greater expense and time lost.

We were going to Civittavecchia for the next day's cruise, so lots of aggravation but no real problem.

I received an email from the transfer company chastising me for skipping out on them. I let them know what happened in no uncertain terms. Now we have booked another Rome cruise but my wife is nervous for no good reason, I maintain. I bet every frequent traveler can tell a similar story

Edited by BosoxI

Again this was our fourth time using SAS because we have always had good experiences. But not this time which for us makes it our last time using SAS. Got off the Equinox at 8:15 AM, gathered our luggage, hired a porter, through customs and to SASs predetermined pickup location. Fast and easy just like past experiences. Called Steve at 9:00 AM and advised him we are at the pickup location. Driver is on his way and will be there NLT 30 minutes. Life is good. We’ve got a 1:00 PM flight.No problem. Forty five minutes later I called Steve, driver is on his way. Another forty five minutes later I called Steve again, the driver is on his way. 20 minutes later the driver calls me, change of pickup location. So we have to know schlep three large pieces of luggage to a drop off area through masses of people with luggage waiting for rides and through others with luggage getting off their rides to start their cruise. Finally (about 11:00 AM) meet up with the driver. We are the only two on the 14 passenger van. But not for long.The driver informs us he know needs to make the rounds to pick up others scattered between 5 different cruise ships. Great! So we have to completely leave the very congested port area because we are now in the drop off area and have to make the huge circle in slow moving traffic to reenter the port pickup areas. Now the driver gets a call from Steve, two couples without reservations need rides. Now we have a full van and way too much luggage. He should have had a trailer to put luggage in. So now the driver has to unload the packed van and repack it to accommodate all the extra luggage.The driver even had to cram some of the smaller roller boards up in the passenger area. A lot of disgruntled riders. About an hour later around noon we now make the slow trek back through the contested port area to get on I-95. Slow travels heading North to Fort Lauderdale due to construction and the carpool lane shut down. We arrive at Fort Lauderdale airport too late to make our 1:00 PM flight. I paid the driver,no tip, grabbed our luggage to check-in. Last call for our flight and we aren’t there. First time ever for us! I blame myself for not grabbing a cab after the first late call to SAS. I hadn’t paid for the return trip yet. Delta did put us on standby for a later flight at no cost. Actually the flight left about an hour after our original flight. We made that flight and were able to get seats together. So this is why we will never ever use SAS again. :mad:

WOW.....that would do it for me too. Because we fly Southwest we don't have the option of flying into MIA. Sometimes we stay in FLL if we're in a couple of days early but if we're only over-nighting in Miami we'll reserve a car with GO shuttle. I've used them many times and never had a problem. They've always on time, driver is always polite and helpful and the price is always as quoted (except when we arrived late and exhausted and I asked to upgrade to a private car for $30 it was worth it)

davekathy, that was a mess! You are far more patient than I am. After 45 minutes with no driver I would have called Uber, which is what I will do if our van doesn’t show up on time for the ride to the port. When I have a plane to catch I won’t book a shared shuttle.

Again this was our fourth time using SAS because we have always had good experiences. But not this time which for us makes it our last time using SAS.......:mad:

If you are still interested shoot me an email and I'll give you the name of the Uber driver we use in FLL.

mt320g@aol.com

Edited by leaveitallbehind