Which currency for Caribbean ports?

Wheelie65

We're shortly going on a Caribbean cruise to the Lesser Antilles ending in Barbados with P&O on Britannia. Does anyone know if the ship stocks East Caribbean and Barbados Dollars or are US Dollars the recommended currency for all the islands?

We're shortly going on a Caribbean cruise to the Lesser Antilles ending in Barbados with P&O on Britannia. Does anyone know if the ship stocks East Caribbean and Barbados Dollars or are US Dollars the recommended currency for all the islands?

US$ are used everywhere.

I recommend you get your dollars from your bank, it should be a bit cheaper than from the ship.

If you have any left over when you get back, you'll have an excuse to go back soon. :)

In some places I've noticed that the prices were in (eastern) Caribbean dollars. The rate being around 2 to 1, so you might want to check your change.

In some of the French islands, such as Guadeloupe, you will be better off with Euros. USD are not as widely accepted.

Euros also in St Martin and Martinique, so worth checking out the currencies of all the islands you visit.

If you are not from the US remember you will be 'charged' twice. once when you buy US$ and then when they convert to local currency ( though I seem to remember Barbados has a fixed exchange rate to the dollar). By charged I mean the difference in the rate of exchange you actually get from the published exchange rate.

If you go for us$, and it is convenient, remember to take small denomination notes as the change you get will be in local currency.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You only need US$. The only exception is Martinique and Guadeloupe where euros are preferred but you’ll have no problem using US$.

Indeed, a couple of years back, we found that in St Martin the market at Marigot actively preferred USD by offering an effective exchange rate of 1 USD to 1 Euro.