Dining room food choice's question

arthur sixpence

Hi I've been on Britannia before but didn't get to eat in the main dining room (was a celebration cruise so each night in speciality). Now looking to book a couple of cheeky cheap trips on Oceana (with only a main dining room budget !).

Please do not judge me, but I like my food.

On every other cruise line I've been on, when in the main dining room, I've always been able to order say two starters and two main courses that I've fancied, is this going to be an issue in the dining room on P&O ?

Yes I know theres a buffett for grazing, but I like to eat in the main dining room.

Hi...its not unknown for people with larger appetites to order two of the same course. I would think over the cruise it probably evens out for actual food consumption and by that I mean that not everyone will have all of the 5 courses....myself included...I have 2/3 courses so anyone who doubles up is having my share :D

Hi I've been on Britannia before but didn't get to eat in the main dining room (was a celebration cruise so each night in speciality). Now looking to book a couple of cheeky cheap trips on Oceana (with only a main dining room budget !).

On every other cruise line I've been on, when in the main dining room, I've always been able to order say two starters and two main courses that I've fancied, is this going to be an issue in the dining room on P&O ?

Yes I know theres a buffett for grazing, but I like to eat in the main dining room.

You have NOTHING to worry about - you can have whatever you want!!!!! 2 starters, 2 main course, main course as a starter, starters as main course, extra of whatever and so on - you only have to ask and they will deliver ENJOY :cool:

As Wozz said as long as you order the two dishes of the course at the same time so as not to hold up your other table guests...no problem. If you are on a table for two then it wouldn't matter ....only holding up your own friend/partner.

Funny last time I was on Oriana the lamb on my main course was literally hidden beneath a potato the portion was that small. When asked waiter for more he said I could have extra vegetables no problem but if I wanted extra meat he would have to get restaurant manager/head waiter to agree to it first.

Funny last time I was on Oriana the lamb on my main course was literally hidden beneath a potato the portion was that small. When asked waiter for more he said I could have extra vegetables no problem but if I wanted extra meat he would have to get restaurant manager/head waiter to agree to it first.

My husband ordered extra lobster as the portion was absolutely minuscule and he got exactly the same reply as you did. Once it was checked there was no problem and the lobster came.

The waiter explained that on the more expensive protein portions they have limited supplies but if for example you want two of the always available items like steak or chicken then no problem at all.

The waiter was helpful but had to follow the rules.

My husband ordered extra lobster as the portion was absolutely minuscule and he got exactly the same reply as you did. Once it was checked there was no problem and the lobster came.

The waiter explained that on the more expensive protein portions they have limited supplies but if for example you want two of the always available items like steak or chicken then no problem at all.

The waiter was helpful but had to follow the rules.

Seems strange, many times my husband has been asked by the waiter if he would like 2 lobsters or beef wellington for that matter - as if we need that though with the amount of food we consume on our cruises!!!!!! LOL:cool:

Seems strange, many times my husband has been asked by the waiter if he would like 2 lobsters or beef wellington for that matter - as if we need that though with the amount of food we consume on our cruises!!!!!! LOL:cool:

I would agree that was the case in years gone by however our last 2 cruises last year there was defiantly a cut back as described.

Just out of interest was the offer of double recent and were you in club dining?

I would agree that was the case in years gone by however our last 2 cruises last year there was defiantly a cut back as described.

Just out of interest was the offer of double recent and were you in club dining?

YES it was - on for a month from 15 January - he didn't take them up on it though, that would just be greed lol :cool:but they did ask him on a few different nights ( as well as others at the table) :cool:

Finding it difficult to believe anybody could eat 2 starters and 2 mains? I like to come home the same size I started :-)

I know, we are the same, but the offer was made on more than one evening!!!! not just to my husband but the whole table :cool:

Given the size of some of the portions now served in the mdr, I don't think it's difficult at all.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I have no problem with the size of the portions in the MDR and often do not finish my main course if I think that a would like a dessert. My husband eats more than I do but he says that the portions are fine for him though he does usually eat a starter, main, dessert and cheese.:)

YES it was - on for a month from 15 January - he didn't take them up on it though, that would just be greed lol :cool:but they did ask him on a few different nights ( as well as others at the table) :cool:

Interesting. Lack of consistency re the supposed "rules" then.

Not greed if the initial portion is absolutely tiny in the first place which occasionally it is. Again a lack of consistency re portion sizes.

When my husband has said he could not decide between two dishes, the waiter has arrived with both dishes. A lesson learnt. We usually order extra chips, as you only tend to get a few. Have also got an extra steak dinner once without ordering.

We usually start the cruise with starter, soup, main, dessert, cheese and biscuits then coffee and chocolates then as the cruise goes by one item is dropped each day and by the end of the cruise, just 2 courses are eaten.

I don't like meat and two veg which means the main courses on P&O don't do it for me so in the MDR I might order starter, salad, soup and dessert so I tie in with the other people at my table. I don't think it's fair to keep other people waiting

The fairness or otherwise of keeping other people waiting is an interesting concept. While I understand the sentiment I would not always agree with it.

Firstly you have a problem if you are the first to order at a table for 8 and order starter, soup, main or whatever and then they all order just a main and sit and stare at you while you eat.

Secondly it is your holiday so is it fair for you to have to moderate your preferences and face it the menu is there to choose from, because of others at the table?

I would never deliberately keep anyone waiting but I also see dining as an event and won't be rushed either.

Last June on Ventura I asked for the (main course) lobster as a starter and was told that this wasn't possible, even though I was having a different main course. I have had this previously but didn' want to argue in front of a table of people.

Actually, there was an article on somewhere online something about 10 things you did not know about cruising, and one of those things is, you can order as much or as little food you wish in the restaurant.

I have not been on Oceana, but on the Ventura some months back, I have to say the general cooking on board was quite bad compared to other cruise lines, to the point I was beginning to LOSE MY APPETITE and was not looking forward to go for meals ("Oh no, not another meal on the Ventura again - Just don't look forward to that! "). The worst was the buffet. No kidding, it was that poor. Hope that other P&O cruise ships have better food! (We were on the Aurora before that and the food was better).

Since then, we have gone with other cruise lines, and are wary about cruising with P&O again.

I don't think the portions are tiny at all. Plenty big enough for me and my husband. But then, as I said, we like to go back home the same size we came out!

Very much a personal opinion re portion sizes Jean. If that suits you then that's great. Others have a different opinion and while I might joke about in on here, my husband and I also go home the same size we came out- we do a lot of exercise so some of the tiny protein portions are not adequate.

Even if someone does gain weight so what- it's their holiday after all.

Very much a personal opinion re portion sizes Jean. If that suits you then that's great. Others have a different opinion and while I might joke about in on here, my husband and I also go home the same size we came out- we do a lot of exercise so some of the tiny protein portions are not adequate.

Even if someone does gain weight so what- it's their holiday after all.

Same as us. We eat a fair amount, but walk a lot and never use the lifts. I never have to worry about getting in my stair or 10000 step count a day on a ship... I always ask for an extra portion of veg, and on the last holiday I asked for the lobster and something else on one meal. We eat generously... BUT we also go home the same weight on most cruises. When we did a 24 night round trip Caribbean and back just over a year ago we put on only 2lbs and that was lost within a week. So I don’t feel guilty one bit about what I eat :) and no I’m not a skinny thing, by any means... but I also don’t get obese by being on holiday, and will continue to enjoy the food on offer... :)

When I am at home I have to watch my weight far more. I manage to exercise far more on holiday than working...