Help with April 2017 Swiss Alps to Paris

Riversanddale

Hello. We're considering the Viking Paris to Swiss Alps in April 2017. It starts in Paris and goes to Zurich. We would love help with the river levels mid-April and any information about the itinerary. It looks like they may have changed the stops a little but I'm not sure. We've only traveled this area in the fall and some of the stops will be new for us. Any information on optional tours or hotels used for Paris and Zurich? Thanks for any help you can give.

This is a slightly more unusual itinerary on the Rhine and Moselle. The trip starts in Paris and I always think, while Paris is a brilliant city to visit, the long bus ride to Trier is awkward. I prefer the port Remich that Avalon uses, of course this is also a long bus ride, but not as long as to Trier and takes in a bit more scenery - of the Luxembourg Moselle stretch that is. The Moselle in April will only be in full greenery towards the middle of the month and if there has been sufficient warmth, but it will already be scenic. Actually, I always find the Moselle scenic :).

You could start a roll call for this itinerary, but you will likely be one of the first cruisers for next year, I reckon.

I have had a look at the ports themselves, here are a few comments: Paris, France: get at least some of the Louvre and/or the Musee d'Orsay into your plans. The Mona Lisa will be surrounded, if you are not bothered to see it skip it and do other rooms. You could head to the Dome des Invalides (for Napoleon).

Luxembourg City & Trier, Germany: The city is interesting, see the old defences, then you will likely head to the American cemetery. Others can comment on this, I have not been. Trier is great for the Roman antiquities, if you can, also go to the Landesmuseum. The bridge over the Moselle is Roman at its base, still used by traffic today.

Bernkastel and Trier, Germany: Bernkastel is a delightful small town with half-timbered houses in "wine country".

Cochem, Germany: Cochem has the Reichsburg, a restored medieval castle in Romantic 19th century fashion, lots of people love it, I have not been. Again, Cochem is great for stocking up on wine.

Sankt Goar, Germany: This is a surprise to me, it appears the port Koblenz is left out! Sankt Goar is a small town close to the Lorelei and very touristy, but has its merits. You should definitely head to the Lorelei rock on the excursion offered. I find the Lorelei more deligtful on top of the rock than from the river. There is a beer garden up there and a concert arena. Next year could see some building works up there, but I do not know when they will start. The Burg Rheinfels is huge: http://www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

Mainz, Germany Grand old cathedral (Dom). Mainz is also Roman in origin but there is not that much preserved. The Gutenberg Museum has been called fascinating, repeatedly, by cruisers. I have not seen it yet. :o If you are a fan, go and see the Marc Chagall windows in the St. Stephanskirche.

Speyer, Germany: UNESCO world heritage site and an import town for medieval Jewish history. If they offer a tour to the Technikmuseum I would take the opportunity. "Amazing" if you are into technical stuff, "very interesting" nevertheless, if you are not so much.

Strasbourg, France: Fantastic, of course. A must is trying out the regional food, do go into the villages, like Ribeauville, if they offer an excursion.

Basel & Zürich, Switzerland: I leave comments about the towns to others, but would recommend a trip up the Rhine towards Lake Constance.

For some more comments on Trier and the Moselle, you could read a little in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

The water level is up and down in April changing from year to year, it all depends on snow melt and the temperatures in March and April. Nights can still see frost, there is likely to be some rain and often storms. Temperatures during the day can be pleasant, but are not likely to reach the twenties on every day of your travels. Expect some mist that could "cloud" your photos. End of April is more settled than the beginning. Oh, and Good Friday and Easter Monday are church holidays with in some parts of the area you will travel in strict shop closures.

I like this itinerary, it has some different aspects that I have not seen with others, but on balance I would do an Avalon one starting im Remich, I think they offer one travelling North after sailing the Rhine gorge.

I think that's it from me. I am sure others will add some thoughts.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

Thank you so much, Notamermaid. Your take on the itineraries and rivers are always helpful and much appreciated.

We've done the Amsterdam to Budapest and Budapest to Amsterdam cruises so this itinerary with a few different stops is intriguing. We've also done Amsterdam to Basel but weren't able to enjoy the stops as my husband wasn't well. We did love Basel after the cruise on our own and spent three nights there and would enjoy it again. And, what's not to love with Paris?

We'll check Avalon, too, but their boarding policies (must board late and leave early) are pretty much an inconvenient no-go from our point of view feeling rushed on and off and with no time to relax after boarding. We tried it this past spring and found it a real negative. Viking lets you on at YOUR convenience as early as you like (light lunch available) and off the same way. Turning the cabins over for them has never been a problem and you are very warmly welcome onboard early and late in the lounge.

This is a very popular new itinerary so space is going fast. I suspect there are a lot of folks like us who've sailed many itineraries and are looking for new ones which are hard to find on the limited European rivers. We love the small ships and Europe holds such delights. Thanks again.

I was just in Paris for the first time. I never made it to the Lourve and will do it some day but this trip we went to d'Orsay, took a French cooking class at La Cuisine near Notre Dame, did the combination HoHo bus and river cruise, train to Giverny to see Monet's Gardens and bought tickets about 2 months early for the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower. We also had reservations at Angelinas for lunch which was wonderful. I'll go back a second time to do things that we just didn't have time for.

I was just in Paris for the first time. I never made it to the Lourve and will do it some day but this trip we went to d'Orsay, took a French cooking class at La Cuisine near Notre Dame, did the combination HoHo bus and river cruise, train to Giverny to see Monet's Gardens and bought tickets about 2 months early for the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower. We also had reservations at Angelinas for lunch which was wonderful. I'll go back a second time to do things that we just didn't have time for.

If you can only fit in one museum in Paris, the d'Orsay is the one! This sounds like you had a very efficient plan for your time. And yes, you'll need to go back again .. and again ...

Hello. We're considering the Viking Paris to Swiss Alps in April 2017. It starts in Paris and goes to Zurich. We would love help with the river levels mid-April and any information about the itinerary. It looks like they may have changed the stops a little but I'm not sure. We've only traveled this area in the fall and some of the stops will be new for us. Any information on optional tours or hotels used for Paris and Zurich? Thanks for any help you can give.

We loved Hotel Britannique in Paris. Location, location, location! It's a beautiful boutique hotel, close to Notre Dame, Seine, the Louvre. Delicious breakfast, helpful staff, great restaurants close by.

Check them out on Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d198174-Reviews-Hotel_Britannique-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Or directly at their website:

http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/en/

Have a grand time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

happycat0014: I see that you were on the same cruise last year that we are going on this April. Would you be able to share your thoughts on the itinerary, please? We are going on Viking and have booked the train excursion from Basel going into the mountains. Other than that, we are booked on the included tours - do you have suggestions, as far as "can't miss" or "don't bother"? We are both active and open to going off the beaten path to mingle with locals. TYVM