Food on Grandeur

BuddyR

We haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean in several years (mostly sailing on Celebrity) but have booked the Grandeur for a 12-night cruise for the end of March. Our final payment is coming up in a few days and I am concerned about some of the recent negative reviews about this ship, especially concerning the food which is an important part of cruising for us. I would appreciate any comments that recent Grandeur cruisers could offer concerning food. Also, is this ship using the "new" menus? Thanks!

Laura

We haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean in several years (mostly sailing on Celebrity) but have booked the Grandeur for a 12-night cruise for the end of March. Our final payment is coming up in a few days and I am concerned about some of the recent negative reviews about this ship, especially concerning the food which is an important part of cruising for us. I would appreciate any comments that recent Grandeur cruisers could offer concerning food. Also, is this ship using the "new" menus? Thanks!

Laura

Always very subjective and difficult to answer as a result. But I will say that if you enjoy the specialty restaurants, Grandeur has a very good selection which includes Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, Izumi's, Chef's Table and also the additional N/C venue, Park Cafe. We've never been disappointed with any of these on board Grandeur. Sample menus for the specialty restaurants are on the RCI website.

Having also cruised with Celebrity, I think the MDR's are pretty comparable to Celebrity, but the Buffet is much better in terms of selection and overall quality on Celebrity IMO. I think the specialty restaurants are on par between the two.

Grandeur, although an older and smaller RCI ship, is very nice and well maintained with a very good crew and has provided us with some very enjoyable cruises.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I found the food in the MDR of the Grandeur to be some of the best. Maybe because it is a smaller ship with less people to feed?

Possibly, but its the same menus. Maybe just a better chef / staff preparing the recipe, but to your point, in lower volumes? But you are correct, different ships have different results. For example, the Chops restaurant on Grandeur is one of the best in the fleet, IMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I personally think Carnival has better food than Royal, but I prefer Royal in all other aspects. We cruised the Radiance and the Empress this year and felt the food declined in the span of 5 months. Not sure if it's just the Empress, but food was worse on that boat, and it was TINY! The food is fine, it's just not "amazing".

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Was on her last month. Found MDR service to be top notch. Food so so. Reflects years of cuts. Giovanni's service so bad we left in middle of dinner. Chops meh. Choice beef and inattentive service. Cancelled additional chops and Giovanni's dinners once we'd done one time in each. wJ comparable to a pig trough. Horrible. Food not labeled. Mystery meats in sauces were common. Hated it. Did not do Izumi. Allure last year was better all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did not go to the MDR and we never do on any ship.

We went to Chops which was good and Giovanni's was so so. We have been on over 60 cruises on RCL , Celebrity etc and the Windjammer was the worst. We did have another cruise booked on Grandeur but cancelled and switched to another ship.

We did not go to the MDR and we never do on any ship.

We went to Chops which was good and Giovanni's was so so. We have been on over 60 cruises on RCL , Celebrity etc and the Windjammer was the worst. We did have another cruise booked on Grandeur but cancelled and switched to another ship.

Thanks for clarifying. Its been two years since we were on Grandeur last and thought all the specialty restaurants were good then, and at that time Chops better than on other ships. We do like the food on Celebrity better overall, however.

Was on her last month. Found MDR service to be top notch. Food so so. Reflects years of cuts. Giovanni's service so bad we left in middle of dinner. Chops meh. Choice beef and inattentive service. Cancelled additional chops and Giovanni's dinners once we'd done one time in each. wJ comparable to a pig trough. Horrible. Food not labeled. Mystery meats in sauces were common. Hated it. Did not do Izumi. Allure last year was better all around.

We haven't eaten in the MDR on any ship for several cruises and agree, but have found the specialty restaurants to be very good on most. But again it is individual ship and taste. Izumi is one of our favorites - maybe give them a try - and agree Allure was good all around last year.

We did hibachi on allure last year in Izumi. Was fun. And tasty. Didn't on Grandeur because we didn't think they kids would survive it. In re chops, was expecting a Ruth's Chris experience. Got a nice looking Outback. Very disappointing in terms of service (I like to be doted over by a team) and quality of foods. Not just the beef but the sides as well.

We were on the ship this year and thought the food was terrible. We loved the cruise and the ship but would not go on the Grandeur again.

Your post. #9 says you never go to the Main Dining Room yet you have an opinion that the the food is terrible. Somehow your opinion lacks credibility. I don't yet have an opinion about the food yet but will once I have sailed on the Grandeur next week.

Donh1....have a great time. I have sailed on Disney (Wonder, Fantasy) RCL (Explorer, Anthem, Grandeur), X (Summit), MSC (Divina)...I specify because this is wide variety and size of ship. We found Grandeur to have a wonderful crew, the ship was the perfect size in terms of getting around, and the food overall very good. It felt homey. Would I take this ship with my children...no. Just my husband and I definitely.

We just got off the Grandeur last week. It was our first cruise on RCI, but we have cruised many other lines. I posted a quick preview, including the food, in a separate thread. For us, the food was good, but not the best. We feel Carnival's food is much better.

First I need to clarify something. We do NOT eat meat, so we stick to fish and vegetarian meals. That said, their 'fish' meals were good, just a tad overcooked and that does sort of spoil a good fish dinner. AS I said, Carnival was much better. But we sure didn't starve. We felt that RCI's portion size was small also.

Ourselves, we just aren't able to eat in specialty restaurants every night. We are simple folks who eat in the MDR every meal, so we CAN comment on that. I cannot comment on the Windjammer, as avoid buffets like the plague. Food looked good there, but that's as far as I go.

Just a comment on 'our' cruise. In the MDR, on the menu, they offer additional foods for a price, like Lobster, Prime Rib etc. Most every night, they discounted those prices. Like a friend of ours ate prime rib most nights for just an additional cost of $10 instead of what the menu was asking. It was prepared in Chops and not the MDR kitchen.

Service was excellent though and we had anytime dining and it was a breeze.

Cheers,

Len

We just got off the Grandeur last week. It was our first cruise on RCI, but we have cruised many other lines. I posted a quick preview, including the food, in a separate thread. For us, the food was good, but not the best. We feel Carnival's food is much better.

First I need to clarify something. We do NOT eat meat, so we stick to fish and vegetarian meals. That said, their 'fish' meals were good, just a tad overcooked and that does sort of spoil a good fish dinner. AS I said, Carnival was much better. But we sure didn't starve. We felt that RCI's portion size was small also.

Ourselves, we just aren't able to eat in specialty restaurants every night. We are simple folks who eat in the MDR every meal, so we CAN comment on that. I cannot comment on the Windjammer, as avoid buffets like the plague. Food looked good there, but that's as far as I go.

Just a comment on 'our' cruise. In the MDR, on the menu, they offer additional foods for a price, like Lobster, Prime Rib etc. Most every night, they discounted those prices. Like a friend of ours ate prime rib most nights for just an additional cost of $10 instead of what the menu was asking. It was prepared in Chops and not the MDR kitchen.

Cheers,

Len

We were on the Grandeur earlier this month. Our cruise ended Dec.10.

My wife ,a Giants fan did not like the food in the MDR .

I, a JETS fan who does not eat meat liked the food.:)

Lenny

Cheers,

Len

Interesting - do you know if other RCCL ships are now offering such things as lobster in the MDR for an additional price? Did you have a night aboard ship where lobster was served (without an additional charge)? On RCCL ships I've sailed (European cruises & TA) there has always been a night where lobster was served in the MDR & it has always been free in the past - and we look forward to it. Sure hope that this is not a harbinger of things to come on all cruises/lines - must pay extra in the MDR.

We were on the Grandeur for 12 days this month and found the food in the MDR to be very good. The menu was a little different from our past cruises. The service was probably some of the best we've had in the recent past. We are not fussy, but we do enjoy good food:D. Also, we thought the crew on the Grandeur was extremely friendly. Go enjoy your cruise!!!!

Interesting - do you know if other RCCL ships are now offering such things as lobster in the MDR for an additional price? Did you have a night aboard ship where lobster was served (without an additional charge)? On RCCL ships I've sailed (European cruises & TA) there has always been a night where lobster was served in the MDR & it has always been free in the past - and we look forward to it. Sure hope that this is not a harbinger of things to come on all cruises/lines - must pay extra in the MDR.

Yes, there was lobster tails one night. My husband said it was very good and you can get more than one.;)