No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

We are just off the Rotterdam 8/2-9/9 Voyage of the Vikings. There was no Cruise Log at the end. I inquired at the Front Desk, and was told that this was the new policy. This is very disappointing. Aside from being convenient remembrances of past voyages, the Logs are the only source for the names of the principal ship staff. Many passengers were grumbling about this one more bit of economizing. HAL makes a big deal about the loyalty and repeat cruising of its passengers, but it seems to be eliminating many of its 'signature' features. So what will there be to be loyal to ? The Cruise Log is a trivial document to format. If the expense of printing it is just too great, how about sending it out as a PDF with the post-cruise questionnaire ?

We are just off the Rotterdam 8/2-9/9 Voyage of the Vikings. There was no Cruise Log at the end. I inquired at the Front Desk' date=' and was told that this was the new policy. This is very disappointing. Aside from being convenient remembrances of past voyages, the Logs are the only source for the names of the principal ship staff. Many passengers were grumbling about this one more bit of economizing. HAL makes a big deal about the loyalty and repeat cruising of its passengers, but it seems to be eliminating many of its 'signature' features. So what will there be to be loyal to ? The Cruise Log is a trivial document to format. If the expense of printing it is just too great, how about sending it out as a PDF with the post-cruise questionnaire ?[/quote']

I was refcentlyly disaappointed to leave my Vendam cruise without a Cuise log. I always liked to get them.

Another disappointment on the Rotterdam :(

We got our cruise log on our cruise on her in April and, this is a very disappointing trend to me.

Especially on longer cruises and special cruises like the VOV.

I don't understand why this is being eliminated all together.

I think you sugggestion of the PDF is a very good one, OP.

We are just off the Rotterdam 8/2-9/9 Voyage of the Vikings. There was no Cruise Log at the end. I inquired at the Front Desk' date=' and was told that this was the new policy. This is very disappointing. Aside from being convenient remembrances of past voyages, the Logs are the only source for the names of the principal ship staff. Many passengers were grumbling about this one more bit of economizing. HAL makes a big deal about the loyalty and repeat cruising of its passengers, but it seems to be eliminating many of its 'signature' features. So what will there be to be loyal to ? The Cruise Log is a trivial document to format. If the expense of printing it is just too great, how about sending it out as a PDF with the post-cruise questionnaire ?[/quote']

I hope when you do your survey, you mention about being disappointed in not having a cruise log and do make the suggestion about the PDF.

I inquired when we got off the Rotterdam on August 2 and was told it was a new policy from Seattle. I mentioned it on the e-mail survey--well, I didn't mention it, I expressed my strong feelings and suggested an e-mail version. What particularly "hurt" was that the captain, midway through the cruise when our Greenland ports got all turned around, told us we would get the correct dates/ports and scenic cruising fijord information on the cruise log at the end of the cruise. Not happy at all.

Quite a few of those being taken since they hired that new lame HAL President.

I think it a really bad decision and a disappointing change... but to what purpose? most changes usually revolve around cost cutting but what meaningful money saving here to discontinue a feature because it requires paper and printer ink ? :loudcry: I expect one poster or another will provide us with the projecedt arithmetic. ...... Save yourself the trouble, no way to total it to more than minimal , IMO. :D He keeps removing so many features that make HAL, ,,, HAL. Is there no end to so many silly changes?

Probably best to start requesting Seattle to reinstate the cruise log now rather than wait for it to become a distant memory. Management obviously does not see the importance to it's "guests". This is typical of management in large corporations, they exist in an environment far removed from their clients. They won't bring it back if we don't tell them that we consider it a valued record of the journey. We paid a lot of money for that journey and the cruise log is an inexpensive memento of that experience.

Probably best to start requesting Seattle to reinstate the cruise log now rather than wait for it to become a distant memory. Management obviously does not see the importance to it's "guests". This is typical of management in large corporations, they exist in an environment far removed from their clients. They won't bring it back if we don't tell them that we consider it a valued record of the journey. We paid a lot of money for that journey and the cruise log is an inexpensive memento of that experience.

Very good points and I agree. Let's start a petition here. :)

If the problem is cost' date=' maybe we could all agree to give up having our soup delivered in silly little pitchers. Selling them off might pay for the Cruise Log paper.[/quote']

I'll vote for that!:D

I think HAL is working hard to change their image. I guess Cruise Logs might be considered sort of........unsophisticated, unlike those soup pitchers.

Too bad: Cruise Logs have been a great, nautical addition to every cruise we've taken.

Agree. If an email campaign begins perhaps we will get somewhere?

Since the breakfast times are in the Cruise Log for embarkation day I wonder how anyone is supposed to know what time the dining room and Lido is open?

Suggest those that care send an email to HAL - guest services or officeof the president.

Plenty of paper and ink to print stack after stack of crappy flyers trying to sell u jewelry, spa, etc etc but heaven forbid they should give passengers a memento of their cruise that i suspect many loyal customers keep in a scrapbook for decades.....sorry but IMHO there are some really DUMB decisions being made in Seattle lately. How about they do the cruise log and SELL them to anyone who wants one for $1.....that might make the bean counters happy.

Simple solution is to email a PDF as suggested.

I just sent my complaint to Customer Service so I hope as many of you that can will do the same. I got off a HAL ship three weeks ago and got Cruise Logs for both segments, so I am unhappy to hear of this cost saving measure. Cut the sale fliers by one or two and keep the Cruise Logs!

I send an e-mail and got a reply within 10 minutes.I asked if it was true they were dropping the cruise log. They stated, "You are correct. We are in the process of discontinuing give the cruise log at the end of a sailing."

Then it went on about how they appreciate the time to share my thoughts and he would forward to management and marketing teams. All the lasr part is theircaned reply

Agree. If an email campaign begins perhaps we will get somewhere?

Since the breakfast times are in the Cruise Log for embarkation day I wonder how anyone is supposed to know what time the dining room and Lido is open?

Suggest those that care send an email to HAL - guest services or officeof the president.

There is getting to be too many complaints of recent cruisers. While I don't disagree contacting HAL and Mr. Ashford directly with one's disappointments/concerns, but as I just suggested in the "maintenance issues" thread, if you are a CCL Shareholder, contact the Lead Director of CCL. Let your disappointments be known at the highest level possible.