Antiqua instead of St Maarten

5-cruisers

Good, interesting question and alternative to consider. From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline: After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights for this area: This two-island nation, which has been struggling since 2009 amid the recession, depends heavily on tourism. Antigua, the Caribbean Tourism Organization said, was spared the worst of Irma. Its V.C. Bird International Airport is open and most hotels (including Carlisle Bay, Cocos Hotel and Keyonna Beach Resort), restaurants and businesses were largely unscathed. Cleanup efforts are underway. Barbuda, Antigua’s little sister 28 miles to the north, on the other hand, is in ruins. Gaston Browne, the prime minister, has said that 95 percent of the island’s properties were damaged or destroyed. Cell towers snapped. Barbuda’s hotels were also damaged, yet as there were less than 100 rooms on the island, the overall effect on tourism is minimal, the Caribbean Tourism Organization said.

Any other added information and background as to the current conditions and future timing affecting this scenic and charming area?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

Good, interesting question and alternative to consider. From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline: After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Island with these highlights for this area: This two-island nation, which has been struggling since 2009 amid the recession, depends heavily on tourism. Antigua, the Caribbean Tourism Organization said, was spared the worst of Irma. Its V.C. Bird International Airport is open and most hotels (including Carlisle Bay, Cocos Hotel and Keyonna Beach Resort), restaurants and businesses were largely unscathed. Cleanup efforts are underway. Barbuda, Antigua’s little sister 28 miles to the north, on the other hand, is in ruins. Gaston Browne, the prime minister, has said that 95 percent of the island’s properties were damaged or destroyed. Cell towers snapped. Barbuda’s hotels were also damaged, yet as there were less than 100 rooms on the island, the overall effect on tourism is minimal, the Caribbean Tourism Organization said.

Any other added information and background as to the current conditions and future timing affecting this scenic and charming area?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had read St M and St T stops were getting rerouted to San Juan or St Croix.

Was that something put out by a cruise line? We are in a sort of "wait and see" stage. PR is already one of our ports. Grand Turk is another of ours that was damaged, but I've read that they are planning to be open for business in a couple of weeks, they hope.

Was that something put out by a cruise line? We are in a sort of "wait and see" stage. PR is already one of our ports. Grand Turk is another of ours that was damaged, but I've read that they are planning to be open for business in a couple of weeks, they hope.

I saw it in the RCCL crown and anchor page of Facebook. Someone on an upcoming Anthem trip got an email

• 3 weeks later...

My St. Maarten stop was changed to Antigua on the Norwegian Dawn Dec. 15th. No excursions have been posted yet. I wonder if they will be later or I need to make independent sightseeing arrangements. I don't know how close the town is to port and am nervous about traveling further without the "booked through the cruise line" guarantee that the ship won't leave without us. Waiting in limbo until I see if they post anything.

• 3 weeks later...
My St. Maarten stop was changed to Antigua on the Norwegian Dawn Dec. 15th. No excursions have been posted yet. I wonder if they will be later or I need to make independent sightseeing arrangements. I don't know how close the town is to port and am nervous about traveling further without the "booked through the cruise line" guarantee that the ship won't leave without us. Waiting in limbo until I see if they post anything.[/quote

The ship docks right in town, where you can either grab a taxi to go to a beach, or walk around town. Not a whole lot to do in Antigua, but they are known for their many beaches.

The port in Antigua is right in town (St Johns) and has two piers capable of handling cruise ships. The island has its share of decent beaches and we have found it a pretty friendly place. You can certainly walk from your ship into the heart of town, but this city does leave something to be desired for those that like to shop. The best deals are going to be local crafts. We sometimes use the local bus transportation to get to one of our favorite beaches (Darkwood) although the beach at Dickenson Bay is certainly more popular with cruisers (you would want to get a taxi to get to Dickenson). We do fear that Antigua is going to be somewhat overwhelmed with cruise ships because of the many diversions from St Maarten.

Hank

Our Dec. 10th Celebrity Eclipse cruise has been changed from St. Maarten to Punta Cana, DR, then to St. Croix, and is now listed as Nassau! We are already going to Antigua as part of the original itinerary.

My St. Maarten stop was changed to Antigua on the Norwegian Dawn Dec. 15th. No excursions have been posted yet. I wonder if they will be later or I need to make independent sightseeing arrangements. I don't know how close the town is to port and am nervous about traveling further without the "booked through the cruise line" guarantee that the ship won't leave without us. Waiting in limbo until I see if they post anything.[/quote

The ship docks right in town, where you can either grab a taxi to go to a beach, or walk around town. Not a whole lot to do in Antigua, but they are known for their many beaches.

There are lots to do and see and do in Antigua beyond the beaches. Just a little more research will uncover those findings.