NCL Norwegian Sun - Internet Cafe / wifi??

BCSmallTownGirl

First time cruise coming up in March :cool:

How much will it cost me to 'stay connected' while on our cruise? I don't want to be online a whole lot, but would like to stay in touch and maybe share some photos with family while we are away.

I see there is an internet cafe on board? Internet packages?

How much will it cost me to 'stay connected' while on our cruise? I don't want to be online a whole lot, but would like to stay in touch and maybe share some photos with family while we are away.

Many people wait until they are at port and use free wifi at a resort, restaurant, store, etc. Internet is available. It is faster when at port, much slower than at sea. There are packages you can purchase, or you can pay by the minute.

https://www.ncl.com/es/en/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Same prices in the internet cafe??

Yes same prices as of our October sailing on the Sun. Biggest issue was 1/2 the onboard PCs were not working and the ones that did work would not connect to my email server. We had to use our phones which were much faster but connection was best in the atrium closest to the Internet cafe vs in our room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this cruise in March is port intensive then suggest checking your email on board the ship and then while

in port find a Starbucks or other place with free wi-fi and do the heavy data work at that place.

Use the ship's wi-fi for all the speedy tasks - the speed while not snail paced is best reserved for email

and texted messages. Data intensive stuff sending photos is going to cost in time - it is not fiber optic

DSL or cable/satellite speed friendly.

Wi-Fi packages LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

When connecting to a shore based provider make sure you are well away from the ship and have changed

your mode to that shore based provider. If you don't you will be linked to the ship and burning wi-fi time.

After connecting on board the ship and finishing your internet business make sure to disconnect and LOG-OFF

the ship's system otherwise your 250 minute package will be exhausted in 4 hours or so.

The internet café manager might be amicable to restoring the time but only once !?

Mea culpa - I did it and was compensated !

herdingdogmom:

was on the Sun 9/25-10/5 did not have any trouble with internet café machines - only stupid use of my tablet.

And YES the best connection point was on deck 6 (Promenade) starboard at the café.

was on the Sun 9/25-10/5 did not have any trouble with internet café machines. And YES the best connection point was at the café.

We were on the cruise after yours and there was a software breakdown in the Internet cafe PCs a couple of days after we boarded. The Internet manager advised us to only use our phone the remainder of the 15 day cruise.

Most folks will use their phone/tablet or laptop. They do have computers, but you will NOT be able to upload any photos on them. Also, if you use their computers, your time online may be longer since you can not download you email like on your phone.

They will be offering packages by the minute when you board. Some ships have unlimited, but very few.

We've just got back, same ship same trip. The on board internet is dreadfully slow and expensive - so many people complaining about it.

Cabo san Lucas - the bars will charge you $3-4 a beer, free wi fi, sit there all day

Acapulco - in the main shopping street is a Woolworth with a cafe, $2 for a coke with refills free wifi

Guatemala - you need to take a trip or a taxi as the port "village" is terrible but there is a $3 per half hour wifi in the cafe

Nicaragua - Lots of cafes with wifi, some at $2 a beer $1 a soda

Costa Rico - we took a trip and the taxi had it! Bars also have wifi

Panama Canal - Nothing

Colombia - Lots of places, but we went to the hard rock cafe, slow but solid.

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...
Guest bldragon000

My wife and I are taking the same ship to the Panama Canal in April. We got 500 free minutes onboard and are bringing our own computers to do emails when we first get up. It would be great if you could post your experiences about the internet and anything else on the Sun and the ports to give us a heads. I sent you a connection request for this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, internet cafe with computers on the 6th deck. Those computers were crazy slow. I signed on from my laptop and phone in our room (mid 8th) and had no problem, a tad slower than the high speed we have at home, but quite reasonable.

Cruise director mentioned when the ship is dry docked in April another wifi will be added for the iConcierge only, which should speed up the rest.

My wife and I are taking the same ship to the Panama Canal in April. We got 500 free minutes onboard and are bringing our own computers to do emails when we first get up. It would be great if you could post your experiences about the internet and anything else on the Sun and the ports to give us a heads. I sent you a connection request for this site.

What is a "connection request"?

We took the Sun through the Canal in December (Miami => San Antonio Chile).

Lots of guests said they really struggled to get/keep a conection. The further south we got, the tougher it got.

I billed work for the intenet connectivity so I wasn't out-of-pocket, but if I had had to pay for the "service" I would have been pretty sour.

The Internet Cafe Manager was a chap who really excelled at passing out the instructions for attempting to log on, and at shruging his shoulders.

The internet managers on most/all of NCL ships are acutely aware of the speeds and poor hardware. They obviously have no control over hardware or upgrades. They simply help you connect and pass the buck when people complain about the speed. Nothing they can do.

If you really wanna see the internet bog down, wait until after 11pm or so when most of the crew log on.

Is there a charge for iConcierge? Does it use minutes from your internet package?

If you want to activate the communication features of iconcierge, there is a $9.99 activation fee per device. You do not have to be logged into your internet package or have an internet package.

We were on the cruise after yours and there was a software breakdown in the Internet cafe PCs a couple of days after we boarded. The Internet manager advised us to only use our phone the remainder of the 15 day cruise.

Use your phone, your own laptop or tablet. Don't risk leaving traces on the ship's computers that could lead to identity theft.