Vista vs Magic for Spring Break?

heckofagator

Hi group,

We've never sailed with Carnival before but looking around at March sailings, both the Vista and Magic seem to have a few ports that we have not visited yet. Having been on a good handful of Caribbean cruises, its refreshing to be able to see some new ports.

The cruises:

8 nites on the Vista, $50 cheaper - San Juan, Grand Turk, St. Maartin and St, Kitts

7 nites on the Magic, $50 more - Grand Turk, St. Thomas, San Juan, Amber Cove

basically, we have never been to San Juan, Domican Republic nor Grand Turk, so all 3 of those are a huge plus The Vista hits 2 of these and the Magic hits 3. So either way we're getting a good list of ports. As far as the price, I'd call them just about equal.

The thing that sticks out to me is the 2016 build date of the Vista, which is great. I do believe that the Magic is a few yeas older but has recently been renovated, so that's a plus but I'm not sure exactly how the ships might compare.

We have an 11 year old and 14 year old and have really been sailing on the big Norwegian ships recently for Spring Break, so just looking for some thoughts and recommendations between these 2 ships. Are they really pretty comparable? Lots to do for the kids is great - slides, rope course, basketball, etc. For us, I guess we'd look for a variety of restaurants as a big selling point.

Edited by heckofagator

we took our first cruise last April on the Magic during Easter break with our 12 and 15 year old boys. They had a blast and after the second day we barely saw them. They made quite a few friends and had a blast. There was so much to do and so many kids!

Definitely think you should go with the Magic.... ports of Amber Cove (gigantic pool, ziplines, all right at port) and Grand Turk (beach and gigantic pool right at port). If your kids like those kinds of things, better ports for THEM.

thanks for the thoughts. I would have to say the kids probably would prefer NOT to get off the boat - too much walking. But yes, for a port they've never seen, they'll have to get off at least for a little while.

So yes, the extra port on the Magic is definitely a huge plus. The extra nite and newer ship is a plus for the Vista. I know the wife DEFINITELY prefers the newer ship, so I suppose a lot of the decision will be a factor of how nice the Magic renovation was.

thanks for the thoughts. I would have to say the kids probably would prefer NOT to get off the boat - too much walking. But yes, for a port they've never seen, they'll have to get off at least for a little while.

So yes, the extra port on the Magic is definitely a huge plus. The extra nite and newer ship is a plus for the Vista. I know the wife DEFINITELY prefers the newer ship, so I suppose a lot of the decision will be a factor of how nice the Magic renovation was.

Why do you think the Magic is renovated? It is only a few years old. The Vista is only a couple of years newer.

Why do you think the Magic is renovated? It is only a few years old. The Vista is only a couple of years newer.

I can't seen to link vacations to go (this site is blocking the URL), but they list the Magic as a build date of 2011 and refurbished date of 2016.

and then came across several stories like this

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-magic-to-undergo-multi-million-dollar-renovation-that-will-add-exciting-dining-and-bar-concepts-300224678.html

sounds nice and all but I really am interested to know about the post-dry dock Magic versus the newer Vista. Nice/new/clean/updated is very important to my wife.

Hi group,

We've never sailed with Carnival before but looking around at March sailings, both the Vista and Magic seem to have a few ports that we have not visited yet. Having been on a good handful of Caribbean cruises, its refreshing to be able to see some new ports.

The cruises:

8 nites on the Vista, $50 cheaper - San Juan, Grand Turk, St. Maartin and St, Kitts

basically, we have never been to San Juan, Domican Republic nor Grand Turk, so all 3 of those are a huge plus The Vista hits 2 of these and the Magic hits 3. So either way we're getting a good list of ports. As far as the price, I'd call them just about equal.

The thing that sticks out to me is the 2016 build date of the Vista, which is great. I do believe that the Magic is a few yeas older but has recently been renovated, so that's a plus but I'm not sure exactly how the ships might compare.

We have an 11 year old and 14 year old and have really been sailing on the big Norwegian ships recently for Spring Break, so just looking for some thoughts and recommendations between these 2 ships. Are they really pretty comparable? Lots to do for the kids is great - slides, rope course, basketball, etc. For us, I guess we'd look for a variety of restaurants as a big selling point.

Because of the kids, I’d stick with the Vista. Much more for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Magic went into service in 2011 and was refurbished in 2016.... Vista was placed in service 2016

I was on the Vista over Thanksgiving and loved the ship. We did the 8 day which went more south (Aruba and Curaco). We have also cruised on the Breeze (sister ship of Magic) and this class ship was probably my favorite of all.

Both have waterparks which your kids will enjoy. Both have outside promenade seating and eating/drinking areas which makes the ship feel bigger. The Vista has a Havana area which is restricted until 7pm for non havana passengers but there is still plenty of room on the ship.

Either way you can't go wrong.... I like more days cruising so I would likely choose the Vista for that extra day.

Coincidentally I just booked on the Magic for the Easter week.... Would have done Vista again...except airfares to Miami and FortLauderdale are sky hgh. What ever choice you make...enjoy your cruise!!

Having sailed on the Magic, and going on the Vista spring break cruise you're looking at, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Plenty of great restaurants on both.

The Vista has an edge (IMHO) as it has an extra sea day to enjoy all the amenities along with the cheaper price, as well as the Imax, Thrill Theater, Skyride, bowling (extra $,) and giant Soccer Pool. (The kind you normally play with cue sticks you play with your feet or hands.)

Using this link, you can check the two ships and compare them side by side:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships

If you end up on the Vista, we will see you there! (We have a 15 yr old DD sailing with us.)

Lucky you!! Vista is a beautiful ship...With the recent upgrades on Magic...both ships virtually have same eatery's and bars....There are some differences but nothing major..... The vista does have a few more outside activities...in addition to the waterpark. Plenty of videos to review... I don't think you can make a bad decision either way

Extra night on Vista and cheaper? Seems to be the way I'd be leaning.

yeah, if that ship hit the Dominican Republic too, it'd be a done deal for sure. We've seen the Virgin Islands so many times, so I was trying to limit that now, but I guess there's always next spring break......

Refubished....not really. All they do is fix anything that might be broken. The last dry dock of the Magic was just that, deep cleaning carpets and fixing little things. They added the Pig N'Anchor and Alchemy bar. And as I said, its only a few years old in terms of ships age. The last 4 ships built by Carnival are the Magic, Breeze, and Vista... with Horizon just launching later this year in Europe. Calling the Magic old is not accurate.

I have been on the Magic twice... in 2014 and 2017. Its a beautiful ship top to bottom.

But whatever....

I was just on the Magic in August and was also eyeing the Vista (who wouldn't, when comparing?). The Vista has a newer design scheme, but the Magic was beautiful and clean and no complaints from my group of 18 (some experienced cruisers, all experienced travelers, and all their first Carnival cruise).

I did that same Magic itinerary and the only place I hadn't been before was Amber Cove. The free to passengers area is *right there*, so your kids wouldn't be complaining about schlepping around, especially for swimming and ziplining. We had $ for a free excursion so we did go to Dolphin World instead but if I didn't have the $ I would have maybe gone to the pool area for a bit but then stayed on the ship to enjoy an empty ship. I'd pick St. Maarten over Amber Cove any day. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Your kids will have a blast.

My family and I are booked on the Vista for spring break. My daughter is 15 and son 10. They can't wait to see what all they can do on the ship. Even though they are going to step off a little while at each port they plan on spending most of the time on the ship.

I haven't been on either ship but have done both itineraries.

My favourite was the 8 night going to St Maarten and St Kitts. I have 2 boys and they were 9 and 11 when we went. In St Maarten we went on a boogie boarding excursion that my kids absolutely loved! It was the highlight of the trip. In St Kitts we went to Carambola Beach Club and we snorkeled with our own gear right from the beach and saw lots of fish and a star fish. The other two ports are common to both. The one notable difference is the 8 night gives you a full day in Grand Turk (where they also have flow riders). The 7 night was only an afternoon and seemed too short.

As for the ports on the 7 night:

Amber cove does have a zip line and waterslide. My boys weren't keen on the waterslide as they found it uneven and the ones on the Carnival Sunshine were better. If you want a beach you will have to leave the port.

St Thomas I have been to twice and snorkeled both times from a catamaran. The water was a little choppy the day we were there.

My next cruise is a Western as we haven't done it before but I would definitely do the 8 night again and book the boogie boarding for sure! That excursion was the highlight of the trip. The group we were with was all families with boys.

Hi group,

The cruises:

VISTA!!! Newer ship offering more, an extra cruise day, and less money!:D

My family and I are booked on the Vista for spring break. My daughter is 15 and son 10. They can't wait to see what all they can do on the ship. Even though they are going to step off a little while at each port they plan on spending most of the time on the ship.

(I'm sorry to hijack this thread for a moment.)

CRgreen0524, my family will be on your sailing and we have a 15 yr old daughter, as well. What are your daughter's interests? Mine is somewhat shy to do the teen club, but very friendly. She is into drawing most. Maybe they would get along?

We have sailed both recently (Magic Sept 2016 and Vista April 2017). The magic has one of our favorite cruise directors Dr E but we enjoyed Mike Pack if he is still on Vista. Overall I would choose the Vista and my 15 yr old agrees. The overall decor of the ship is nicer and a few more specialty restaurants and few more activities such as the sky ride, imax. Both have great water parks. Ports are pretty equal but not knowing post hurricane recovery I would choose st Martin over st Thomas but barely as st John is an added plus when going to Thomas. I think the 8th day would be the final deciding point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Refubished....not really. All they do is fix anything that might be broken. The last dry dock of the Magic was just that, deep cleaning carpets and fixing little things. They added the Pig N'Anchor and Alchemy bar. And as I said, its only a few years old in terms of ships age. The last 4 ships built by Carnival are the Magic, Breeze, and Vista... with Horizon just launching later this year in Europe. Calling the Magic old is not accurate.

I have been on the Magic twice... in 2014 and 2017. Its a beautiful ship top to bottom.

But whatever....

Agreed. Not really refurbished. I just disembarked the Magic on Saturday having previously sailed the Valor (2x), Dream, Fascination and Imagination. We clearly felt the Magic looked and felt far older than her age. Coupled with the overwhelming smoke smell throughout deck 5 and the very poor Playlist Production cast, I'd pick the Vista (we are sailing the Horizon in June). Yes, Dr. E is amazing. But all our Cruise Directors have been great. Pick the Vista.

We have sailed both recently (Magic Sept 2016 and Vista April 2017). The magic has one of our favorite cruise directors Dr E but we enjoyed Mike Pack if he is still on Vista. Overall I would choose the Vista and my 15 yr old agrees. The overall decor of the ship is nicer and a few more specialty restaurants and few more activities such as the sky ride, imax. Both have great water parks. Ports are pretty equal but not knowing post hurricane recovery I would choose st Martin over st Thomas but barely as st John is an added plus when going to Thomas. I think the 8th day would be the final deciding point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Matt Mitchum is CD on Vista...who is one, if not, their best