Connecting phone or ipad to TV

jabrown40

Has anyone ever done this on their Viking Cruise? Or, does anyone know what TV's they may have on Viking Sea, and if there are HDMI ports on the TV to connect to in order to watch downloaded content on your device? I don't want to stream, just watch what I have from my xfinity dvr app.

Has anyone ever done this on their Viking Cruise? Or, does anyone know what TV's they may have on Viking Sea, and if there are HDMI ports on the TV to connect to in order to watch downloaded content on your device? I don't want to stream, just watch what I have from my xfinity dvr app.

Two factors here.

Of course, you can get a "lightning" (or other appropriate apple connector for your particular device) to HDMI patch cord. But, the cruise line may have disabled the HDMI jacks on the TV. If so, you are SOL.

As for your Xfinity app: if the content has been downloaded to your device, the above HDMI item is your only concern. If your Xfinity items are stored in the cloud, you'll need an internet connection, which could be blocked or throttled for streaming OR potentially very expensive if paying by data amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currently on Viking Sun. Wifi is adequate for email and some browsing but streaming anything seems to be out of the question. No Watch ESPN, can't even get to Amazon as they will not accept the unsecured server being used by the ship. The on board tv has a pretty good selection of movies (including most of the Bond movies as well as new releases), some tv series, and live tv that is mostly the major cable news networks as well as all the soccer and cricket you can stand.....:cool:

Yes, if it is all pre downloaded. ESPN and other apps barely get going and do not let you see any real content. Bandwidth issue. You can't tell me the Captain does ship business on this restricted deal. Wish we had the "good stuff".

For sure! But, I’ve heard the evenings are a little quiet on Viking, or sometimes I just like putting on my robe and chilling in the room for a while, mainly wanted to see some of the Olympics. Hubby and I really enjoy a couple of series. Last thing I want to watch are the news stations on vacation! I usually don’t want to get bogged down with 2 hour movies at 10 or 11 at night, a quick series is perfect.

First off, the poster is looking to watch DOWNLOADED content, not stream.

We carry an adapter to watch movies from our ipad on ship and hotel TVs. We have done this on other ships, but can not remember about Viking. If my memory is right, these are more like normal TVs. I just can not remember if you could get to the port or not. And, if you could change the port/source that is often locked down. I would still take your cable and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost positive that the Star has no HDMI inputs or cable inputs to hook up a small router or Chromecast, which would be awesome. I actually wanted to hook up my camera to the port on the TV so I could view my photos on a large screen, but no such luck. Also, unfortunately, these "monitors," (flat screen TVs) do NOT have closed captioning, which is really a bummer for those people out there with hearing impairment issues. I wish Viking would actually upgrade that. I realize it's vacation, but late at night when I'm in my jammies, I do like to get room service and watch a movie. :-)

Yeah, I didn’t think about bringing a master remote, they’re pretty cheap and it’s definitely worth a shot. I did actually ask them about it on the last cruise and they were pretty clueless regarding closed captioning, which is kind of disconcerting considering their clientele. But it’s a very minor nuisance.