Bad reviews - what to think?

Bangers1975

I'm new to this board but have been "looking" for a while. I am about to book a 7 night Costa Diadema from Barcelona in early June for myself, husband and 5yr old but after reading some bad reviews on this and other sites i'm a little nervous to proceed.

We are Americans (although i'm British living in the USA) and have cruised many times with other lines but this would be our first med cruise. Due to our selected flights this is the ONLY cruise departing Barcelona on that day so we have no other choice. I am not so concerned about English not being the primary language, isn't that why you travel? To see different countries and experience different cultures. I have however seen so many reviews that say Costa is not for "Americans" but unsure as to what that means. Of course everyone will have a different experience and you can't please them all so hoping for some insight.

Food - I'm a picky eater but if there is a steak or chicken option I will be fine

Entertainment - Do they have any English speaking live music or shows at night?

It seems that basic beverages (water, tea, coffee) are not included but I can add a drink package to solve this correct?

Thanks for your insight

Reviews are different to interpret as you hardly get a feel who was traveling and what their expectations were. I for sure wasn't happy with my two Costa cruises even without being american, but I still had a good vacation. You can take something positive out of the trip and still conclude that it wasn't worth the time, money or both and that you would neither make that decision again or recommend it to friends.

Just a word about the language as that is one of my complains as well. It is not about people not being capable to speak english but about how the dynamics on board change when there is no common language. IMHO that has such a big impact on many different aspects of the cruise.

But as you don't have a choice anyway due to travel dates just enjoy the time. What else can you do ;)

I am a avid Costa lover, (25 cruise with them) but the Diadema is a nightmare the food was really poor I would say no steak or chicken as a choice most days, there is a beef dish that to this day remains a mystery as it taste of nothing.

The bars are over loud even our favourite piano bar we had to shout giving our drink order.

Okay our last cruise was over Christmas & ship was totally full every where was crowded, we are back on in February so I report back then if things have improved.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to this board but have been "looking" for a while. I am about to book a 7 night Costa Diadema from Barcelona in early June for myself, husband and 5yr old but after reading some bad reviews on this and other sites i'm a little nervous to proceed.

We are Americans (although i'm British living in the USA) and have cruised many times with other lines but this would be our first med cruise. Due to our selected flights this is the ONLY cruise departing Barcelona on that day so we have no other choice. I am not so concerned about English not being the primary language, isn't that why you travel? To see different countries and experience different cultures. I have however seen so many reviews that say Costa is not for "Americans" but unsure as to what that means. Of course everyone will have a different experience and you can't please them all so hoping for some insight.

Food - I'm a picky eater but if there is a steak or chicken option I will be fine

It seems that basic beverages (water, tea, coffee) are not included but I can add a drink package to solve this correct?

Thanks for your insight

hello bangers. Just off the Diadema and loved it, see my review. will try and post the menus we got tomorrow. We ate in the club restaurant but things on the menu are the same as main dining room. The meals in the main dining rooms are Italian themed and i believe steak and prawns are available at a supplement in the main dining room. Most Theatre production shows are very understandable and are a good quality. Bands and singers around the ship sing a variety of songs in several languages, all were good. The entertainment team speak most languages and you should have no trouble joining in if that is what you wish, just remember that this is a European ship geared mainly to the Italian market. ALL the staff we encountered spoke very good english and there are international hosts on board to help with any query you may have.

If you have any more questions please ask and i'll do my best to answer. Happy cruising :)

Thanks for your insight

Meat may not be cuts you recognize and many say the beef is not great. Even 10 years I learned to take their exotic game (like guinea fowl) over beef and chicken. Fish was always well prepared, but ifnyou are looking for the Princess type line of American fall back menu items, you won't find it on Costa. Americans also say customer service lacks in the purser and kther departments....because Costa does not believe 'the customer is always right". You may recognize a more reserved service style, but many American want much more than this.

Announcements may be provided in 5 different languages.....every.....announcement. this will drive some people crazy.

If you go with few expectations, and see the ship as a way to get from port to port, you can salvage any cruiseline, but ifnyou want a great cruise experience, this might not be the right one.

If you limit "American" to "Florida buffet restaurant" or "Holland America, probably not a good choice. Its been a couple of years since I've been on Diadema, and Costa has been experimenting with different meal options, but food I found to be comparable to 4-star resorts I have stayed at in Spain. In the Mediterranean, expect a lot of seafood, other choices as available in Europe. Beef won't be high-fat, corn-fed feedlot, instead leaner grass-fed animals which do taste different.

I would never go on any ship over school holidays- not just Costa, I was once on Carnival Valor in January I heard very bad things about the holiday sailings.

Flying in day of cruise concerns me, not just flight delay but jet lag.

The terms and conditions and what's included depend on what country and what package you book. There are quite a few drink packages you can purchase on board. You need to insist on specific details from your agent.

The various groups play a broad range of music- I recall there being 7 choices at 11 PM, probably far superior to any ship you've been on, especially the Grand Bar.

Yes, general customer service is lacking but we found that our MDR waiter, room steward and bartenders were very good! We had a wonderful vacation! We did not have an issue with the announcements in different languages at all! I have a rudimentary understanding of Spanish, French and German so I could understand the "gist " of most messages but really didn't find it necessary. There will be an English announcement in there somewhere! A dear family member loves the Mediterranean itineraries and I understand that Costa consistently wins awards for theirs! Don't be afraid of the dining reviews! There will be something on the menu that you will enjoy! I know how hard it can be to satisfy a 5-yr old and no worries there either - our waiter took care of families around us with no issues! Enjoy your cruise! There are no bad days sailing!!