Ok Guys, where do you carry money while on excursions?

nanface

There are so many warnings about scammers and pickpocket artists in many of the larger tourist towns. So, Men, do you still just use your wallet kept in a pants pocket or something hidden under a shirt? Silly question, but what do most of you use? My husband scoffed at me for suggesting something other than his usual wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are so many warnings about scammers and pickpocket artists in many of the larger tourist towns. So, Men, do you still just use your wallet kept in a pants pocket or something hidden under a shirt? Silly question, but what do most of you use? My husband scoffed at me for suggesting something other than his usual wallet.

In my wallet. Now if I know that I'm in a rather notorious place for pickpockets around tourists (Rome), I carry my wallet in a front pants pocket and with a hand in that pocket if I'm suddenly in a large crowd. I also don't carry a large amount of cash in the wallet either. Just a suggestion. There are all sorts of belly and chest worn contraptions for carrying money if you feel the need.

In my wallet. Now if I know that I'm in a rather notorious place for pickpockets around tourists (Rome), I carry my wallet in a front pants pocket and with a hand in that pocket if I'm suddenly in a large crowd. I also don't carry a large amount of cash in the wallet either. Just a suggestion. There are all sorts of belly and chest worn contraptions for carrying money if you feel the need.

Rome is the only place we ever had a hand actually go into a pocket. Then saw the very same guy again at the train station as we were leaving town.

The one time we had an attempted pick pocket was at the train station at Versailles, outside of Paris. And, the ironic thing is that there were posters all throughout the station warning people about the pickpockets!!! Oh well.

We generally carry our cash, cruise card and maybe one credit card in one of the little credit-card type wallets that we've received on previous cruises, and it goes in our front pockets.

For going off the ship on an excursion, I wear pants with a hidden zippered pocket inside of the front pocket. There are many versions of this in chinos and hiking pants. If it is a climate where I can wear a coat, I have vests and light jackets with similar hidden zippered pockets on the inside.

I take this extra care because I don't go off the ship in a foreign country without our passports. Having a wallet with credit cards and some cash stolen is a relatively minor inconvenience. Having passports stolen can be a huge complication. I carry our passports because of the very unlikely chance of a medical emergency or something else that would prevent us from getting back to the ship.

I did a rather low tech money belt pouch, inside my pants. I did one of those protectors they can't scan through for the cruise card and credit card, that I carried in zippered pouch within a leather cross body bag, that I always carried with the bag to the front. Smaller bill and change I would carry in my front pocket that the bag covered and the larger bills and passport would be in the money belt. If you don't carry everything in one place, if you are pick pocketed, you don't loose everything.

Re passport: some suggest leaving your passport in your hotel room or cruise cabin safe but carry a copy of the passport with you. Like you, I don’t like having my passport out of my possession - especially these days - but carrying a copy seems like a good solution. In Lisbon, one of our travel companions had his phone stolen from a case on his belt and never felt a thing. Don’t take the possibility of pickpocketing lightly.

Re passport: some suggest leaving your passport in your hotel room or cruise cabin safe but carry a copy of the passport with you. Like you, I don’t like having my passport out of my possession - especially these days - but carrying a copy seems like a good solution. In Lisbon, one of our travel companions had his phone stolen from a case on his belt and never felt a thing. Don’t take the possibility of pickpocketing lightly.

I think that if you are off ship in a foreign country and have a circumstance in which you actually do need your passport, a photocopy will not do. A photocopy would be helpful when you visit the American embassy to get a replacement. When I go off the ship, the passport is with me and the photocopy is in the safe. I would not carry it if I did not have a secured pocket. I don't keep a wallet in the same pocket, because it is a pocket I do not want to use at all while I am out. I would prefer to keep the passport on the ship, but feel that I have to have it.

Richard2: the most important words in your post are “secured pocket”! Hope everybody pays attention to that. Pickpockets are not a problem everywhere or in every situation, foreign OR domestic. But where they are, they are extremely skillful. Recommend Rick Steve’s website and also the Paris forum on Tripadvisor for advice and examples of what can go wrong.

Look hubby straight in the eye [emoji102]and say "duh!"

Then remind him to watch out for the darling little band of kids, many of who have bandaged fingers hiding the razor blades that slit your pants pockets.

Front or back, zippered or not: irrelevant!

We use money belts that we got from PacSafe....husband wears around his waist, mine around my neck under my shirt. The money belts have metal under the fabric straps making them hard to cut for a pickpocket. Even Rick Steves got pickpocketed the one time he didn't follow his own advice!!

Look hubby straight in the eye [emoji102]and say "duh!"

Then remind him to watch out for the darling little band of kids, many of who have bandaged fingers hiding the razor blades that slit your pants pockets.

Front or back, zippered or not: irrelevant!

Who is your tour operator?? Taking you into a place with kids with razors taped to their fingers . You don’t need to see that place that badly!

Who is your tour operator?? Taking you into a place with kids with razors taped to their fingers . You don’t need to see that place that badly!

Has nothing to due with tour operators. Try the security line at Il Colosseo in Rome or strolling down La Rambla in Barcelona. Common everywhere a ship stops.

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Rfid-Blocking-Anti-Theft/dp/B06XK5GD18/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PGX7VHARCB9XA7YRHZ16

For going off the ship on an excursion, I wear pants with a hidden zippered pocket inside of the front pocket. There are many versions of this in chinos and hiking pants. If it is a climate where I can wear a coat, I have vests and light jackets with similar hidden zippered pockets on the inside.

I take this extra care because I don't go off the ship in a foreign country without our passports. Having a wallet with credit cards and some cash stolen is a relatively minor inconvenience. Having passports stolen can be a huge complication. I carry our passports because of the very unlikely chance of a medical emergency or something else that would prevent us from getting back to the ship.

In case of an emergency, the ship's personnel can always get into the safe. Therefore, we never carry passports unless specifically told we need to have them (as we were for a couple of port on our most recent journey). I also travel with a thumb-drive that contains among other information, a jpg of our passports.

We carry a photocopy of our passport if it is not specifically required. Don't want to risk having it taken, as well as wanting to avoid the extra time required to obtain a replacement while overseas. Have read many stories here where it appears to take several days to get a replacement.

In case of an emergency, the ship's personnel can always get into the safe. Therefore, we never carry passports unless specifically told we need to have them (as we were for a couple of port on our most recent journey). I also travel with a thumb-drive that contains among other information, a jpg of our passports.

+1.

On most of our cruises (Oceania), the purser keeps our passports. Otherwise, they sit in the safe unless a local government requires their carriage.

No truly seasoned international traveler would normally carry their passport around (ask any cruise ship officer what they do). If someone thinks they're going to miss the ship, contact the port agent and your passport will be retrieved from its safe storage.

As for the thumb drive, I do this as well. Though I usually have no PECs of any concern, that thumb drive holds my complete medical records including all medical imaging of any importance, travel insurance docs, etc. It also sits in the safe clipped to passport.