Underwater Sculptures

jzc8n4

I'll be on a cruise stopping for a day in Grenada in January and would like to see the underwater sculptures. Is it easy to find someone to take you there either at the port or by taking a taxi to Dragon Bay? Or is it necessary to book this ahead of time with a tour operator?

Thanks,

Better to book ahead with a tour operator, especially one that pays towards the maintenance and development of the Sculptures and the Marine Protected Area. All operators who take you should make you wear a wrist band as this shows they (you) have paid to enter the marine park. There are a few that say it isn't needed but it is and the money received pays for the wardens and boats who protect the marine species from illegal fishing and the marine environment from illegal anchoring. Grenada Underwater Sculpture Management Inc are a few volunteers that work to bring new artists to the park and to maintain the sculptures already in place. They have a facebook page you can check them out on :-)

• Like 1

Thank you Island Star! Looking forward to more time in Grenada!

My favourite way of seeing the statues is with Grenada Seafaris as they do a guided snorkel and have good equipment. Small group so they really take care of you. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and looking forward to hearing about my island :-)

• 5 months later...
My favourite way of seeing the statues is with Grenada Seafaris as they do a guided snorkel and have good equipment. Small group so they really take care of you. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and looking forward to hearing about my island :-)

We were booked with SeaFaris a couple of years ago. Although we didn't get to do the tour, kudos to the owners as they met those of us booked on that day's tour in the terminal to tell us that the water was murky due to sea conditions and that the visibility would not be the best. They would take us out if we wanted, but they recommended not.

I feel this was great customer service as they could have taken us on the snorkel trip in spite of the poor conditions; we wouldn't have known any better. There was no charge. They lost income for a day of touring because of their integrity.

• 4 weeks later...

We just did a discover scuba dive there and the place was amazing! So cool to see the sculptures. I know that they also do snorkeling tours there and it was a 2 part snorkeling excursion that not only took you to the sculptures but also another place called Flamingo Bay where you are supposed to see tons of flamingo snails (which are in the water and remind you of a giraffe coat). We went with a place called Native Spirit

• 3 weeks later...

I see recommendations for Seafaris but I am a little hesitant to book with them because of the layout and speed of the boat. The seats don't look comfortable and they advertise high speed and I'm wondering how bumpy the ride would be. I have neck issues and smashing into waves isn't my idea of fun. I really do want to snorkel at the underwater sculptures park tho. Can you advise my concerns? I did check with Eco Dive but their payment and cancellation policy isn't the norm for most tour operators we've ever dealt with. TIA for any guidance you can offer!

I see recommendations for Seafaris but I am a little hesitant to book with them because of the layout and speed of the boat. The seats don't look comfortable and they advertise high speed and I'm wondering how bumpy the ride would be. I have neck issues and smashing into waves isn't my idea of fun. I really do want to snorkel at the underwater sculptures park tho. Can you advise my concerns? I did check with Eco Dive but their payment and cancellation policy isn't the norm for most tour operators we've ever dealt with. TIA for any guidance you can offer!

Can anyone comment on the seat comfort as well as the smoothness of the actual speed ride? Thx!!

Tour is on the west coast of the island so usually flat calm. Boat is designed to ride the waves not slap through them like other boats. They are super aware of safety and a fun adventure rather than scaring their guests. Seats allow you to sit or stand. IT is great fun - don't miss it :-)

Tour is on the west coast of the island so usually flat calm. Boat is designed to ride the waves not slap through them like other boats. They are super aware of safety and a fun adventure rather than scaring their guests. Seats allow you to sit or stand. IT is great fun - don't miss it :-)

Thanks Island Star...was hoping you'd chime in! I did get a really thorough response from Seafaris and believe we'll go ahead and book with them. Really want to see those sculptures!

Thanks Island Star...was hoping you'd chime in! I did get a really thorough response from Seafaris and believe we'll go ahead and book with them. Really want to see those sculptures!

My pleasure - always like to give others a chance to jump in but on this occasion had not visited in quite a while and then couldn't remember my log-in (going daft I think). Just let them know your concerns when booking and also when meeting their people and they'll take super care of you. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:cool:

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, printingchick said:

Is it possible to combine snorkeling at the underwater sculptures with a tour of other parts of the island, such as Grand Etang, the waterfalls, the nutmeg processing? We will be in port from 8AM-5PM. Thanks!

Depends on who you go with as some tours are 4hrs with 2 snorkels. Seafaris do a 2.5hr tour. Either way it should easily be possible to do a morning snorkel and then an island tour with one of the taxi association guys or another operator.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...