Etiquette British Isles

You could pick up a taxi at the pier, however the knowledge of the driver is not guaranteed. You are best to have a small group, have a large car plus a guide to take you around. There are many attractions to see, some free, some have a small entrance fee. If you are comfortable driving on small roads, you could rent a car, and then hire a guide, this way you would not get lost, you could hear the stories, visit places, and would be cheaper than paying for a driver. I would only recommend this if you are used to driving on the left and small roads though.

Accredited guides can be found on http://www.guernseyguidedtours.com.

The last time my husband drove in the left I thought would be my last day on earth. I hope I can find a small group looking for two more people!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Royal Princess in June, and we decided to hire a car on Guernsey. We're Americans, and are not confident manual transmission drivers. We had 6 in our party, so that meant hiring a Ford S-Max. Indeed, the car did feel quite large on some of Guernsey's roads, although there is a nice set of roads around the island that let us see a lot without ever having to get into a "reverse to the lay-by" situation. Here are my recommendations:

- IMO, Guernsey Cruiser is (as always) right; a guide/driver is probably best for most people.

But, to us, the feeling of just taking off with our crew and seeing what we felt like together was part of the fun.

- We found the Guernsey locals to be welcoming and courteous both in person and behind the wheel. Despite being there on a weekday when the locals all had work to do, we were not honked at or made uncomfortable even once while driving.

- HAVE A NAVIGATOR. Satnavs are great for "turn here". They are not great for "okay, looks like turn left coming up on that second small road; careful - it is narrower than this one. Turn now into the LEFT lane." If you decide to drive, I recommend a human co-driver, and one who will take their job as seriously as the driver.

- Watch some dash-cam videos of people driving Guernsey on YouTube. They're easy to find and are a great way to get a feeling for the driving.

- If you are not a second-nature driver of manual transmission (and even if you ARE, but are new to Right-hand Drive), I recommend an auto transmission car. Save your brainspace for staying on the road and enjoying the scenery.

- Did we find it stressful? Sure, a bit. But we got to see things we'd never have seen on tours, and we got to make decisions on the fly. The car wasn't pricey, and so we felt fine returning it in time for a late lunch and a walk around in St Peter Port.

For more info, here's a link to my posting about our day in Guernsey (part of a much longer review of an entire 12 day BI cruise): https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56441647&postcount=14

The last time my husband drove in the left I thought would be my last day on earth. I hope I can find a small group looking for two more people!

We were on the Royal Princess in June, and we decided to hire a car on Guernsey. We're Americans, and are not confident manual transmission drivers. We had 6 in our party, so that meant hiring a Ford S-Max. Indeed, the car did feel quite large on some of Guernsey's roads, although there is a nice set of roads around the island that let us see a lot without ever having to get into a "reverse to the lay-by" situation. Here are my recommendations:

- IMO, Guernsey Cruiser is (as always) right; a guide/driver is probably best for most people.

But, to us, the feeling of just taking off with our crew and seeing what we felt like together was part of the fun.

- We found the Guernsey locals to be welcoming and courteous both in person and behind the wheel. Despite being there on a weekday when the locals all had work to do, we were not honked at or made uncomfortable even once while driving.

- HAVE A NAVIGATOR. Satnavs are great for "turn here". They are not great for "okay, looks like turn left coming up on that second small road; careful - it is narrower than this one. Turn now into the LEFT lane." If you decide to drive, I recommend a human co-driver, and one who will take their job as seriously as the driver.

- Watch some dash-cam videos of people driving Guernsey on YouTube. They're easy to find and are a great way to get a feeling for the driving.

- If you are not a second-nature driver of manual transmission (and even if you ARE, but are new to Right-hand Drive), I recommend an auto transmission car. Save your brainspace for staying on the road and enjoying the scenery.

- Did we find it stressful? Sure, a bit. But we got to see things we'd never have seen on tours, and we got to make decisions on the fly. The car wasn't pricey, and so we felt fine returning it in time for a late lunch and a walk around in St Peter Port.

For more info, here's a link to my posting about our day in Guernsey (part of a much longer review of an entire 12 day BI cruise): https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56441647&postcount=14

I've always relied on the bus system in Guernsey (or walking). As for driving, if one sticks to the main roads, they're not terribly narrow, but the added element of wrong-side driving can be a bit harrowing. Fortunately, traffic isn't too bad once you're out of St Peter Port.

I should really get in touch with my relatives there and tell them they could rent themselves out as tour guides on cruise days.

I've always relied on the bus system in Guernsey (or walking). As for driving, if one sticks to the main roads, they're not terribly narrow, but the added element of wrong-side driving can be a bit harrowing. Fortunately, traffic isn't too bad once you're out of St Peter Port.

I should really get in touch with my relatives there and tell them they could rent themselves out as tour guides on cruise days.

Yes, you really should!

Having a local guide is often priceless.

Hi. When I travel I always try to be aware how I am presenting myself. I don’t want to be seen as an “ugly american”. DH & I and doing an 8 day cruise around the British Isles, with stops in Dublin, Gurnsey, Edinburgh and Milford Haven, Wales. I would appreciate any tips on proper good manners. Thanks in advance :D

As a brit, who has spent a lot of time working in the US, and studied American behaviour, my main advise is to treat people, as you would expect to be treated. My main observation was the lack of use of the words Please and Thank You, when addressing any one that was serving them. In other words, just be polite to people, and not abrupt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish I could find a taxi driver to just drive us around the island and tell local stories about what we’re seeing.

We were in Guernsey just last month, and had an amazing day with a local tour guide. His name was Steve Martin (yes, like the comedian!), and he was great. We paid by the hour - reasonable rates - and we split the cost with another couple.

We pretty much saw the entire island and heard so many great stories!

You can find Steve at SteveMartinTours.com

Good luck!

My main observation was the lack of use of the words Please and Thank You, when addressing any one that was serving them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've found no shortage of "thank you" in the US. :confused:

Except when declining something.

But yes, "please" does seem to be in short supply.

Something like........

"What drink would you like, sir"

"I'll take a Jack Daniels" (please)

"Ice with your Jack Daniels, sir"

"No, I don't think I will". (thank you)

"Here's your drink, sir"

"Thank You"

I don't see it as rude, only as standard practice in the US.

But "please" is normal in the UK.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

We were in Guernsey just last month, and had an amazing day with a local tour guide. His name was Steve Martin (yes, like the comedian!), and he was great. We paid by the hour - reasonable rates - and we split the cost with another couple.

Good luck!

Thank you. I just booked for May 2019. I hope he’s still there then and that we get there and on time. I read the 75% refund if we bypass Guernsey, and no refund if we can’t tender in time.

I decided it’s worth the risk because the tour seems perfect!

And don't mention Donald Trump!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I would say politics discussions are always risky.

Not everybody loves May or Johnson from what I noticed. :)

Good luck!

We were in Guernsey last year and also had a tour with Steve Martin! Would totally recommend him, very amicable and knowledgable. Plus he took us along roads we would never have ventured by ourselves - even though we are used to driving on the left, some of the roads on Guernsey are very narrow!

And don't mention Donald Trump!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ha! Politics aside, we were on Sark in 2016. We rent bikes from a relative there, and as she welcomed us, she asked how we were doing. Of course, we said we were doing well

"Are you sure?"

Yes, we're doing quite well, thank you.

"Really? Are you SURE???"

Yes, I suppose..,. why?

"Ummm... Donald Trump!"

She's got that sort of sense of humour about her, but we were still surprised by her comment that was in jest.

I would say politics discussions are always risky.

Not everybody loves May or Johnson from what I noticed. :)

Back then, we found people, at least in the Channel Islands, absolutely fascinated with American politics. At dinner on Guernsey with some extended family, it was difficult to get the topic off of the US elections. I was quite surprised at how informed they were, really. The funny thing is that we were on Guernsey when the Brexit vote happened, and they preferred to talk American politics.

Reason for this is Brexit for the Channel Islands is not as key as they are not part of the EU , also they are one of the few areas that will gain if we Brexit , with their offshore financial companies. They will add jobs as London loses out.

Not suggesting that Brexit wasn't newsworthy It certainly was, and the GBP hit against the euro alone was enough to sting the islands. Just in conversation over dinner, the preferred topic was US politics. Brexit talk somehow ended up on Trump vs Hillary

• 3 weeks later...

I'd never pretend I wasn't American.

I'd just avoid talking about politics, which I avoid even here in US.

I am sure people who want to interact with me will easily get a clue. ;)

My DD and SIL were in the Balkans for two weeks. She said they were barraged with questions about our politics. Quite a few laughed about the current administration. She said they just smiled and said we don’t talk about politics.

She said it’s worse than even a few years ago.

I agree....refuse to talk about politics. That’s what I do with my friends.

Kindergarten rules. Treat other people the way you want to be treated like a PP said.

And yes the world is fascinated by our politics right now. IMO if you are a Trumpie stay quiet like you do at home in front of new people.

If you are not tell them it’s not your fault and u will get a nice laugh.

I am cruising the British Isles next July and I cannot wait.

And yes do NOT call anyone an Englishman unless they are from England lol

Happy planning

Kerri