Accessible ground transport in Alaska

jarvb

We will be traveling to Anchorage Alaska in May 2013 for a cruise leaving out of Seward. My concern is wheel chair accessible transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. My son is in a power chair and cannot transfer to a car.

We originally wanted to take the Alaska railroad to Seward. The train is accessible but it leaves you off about a mile from the ship. That is a little far to carry luggage and use a wheel chair also. Would the bus from Anchorage to Alaska be a better option?

We have managed to take care of the other accessible needs, on the ship we have a large family room which is wheel chair accessible, hotel rooms taken care of and so is the plane, it's just this ground transport in Alaska that has us concerned. And no, my husband doesn't want to rent a van, he doesn't like renting vehicles when we travel.

Any insights you have will be appreciated.

Have you checked with the Cruiseline to see if they are offering any transportation options from the Seward train station to the ship and if the bus has an accessible lift ?

Update: Found that there is a shuttle ( not operated by the cruiseline ) that runs between the Seward Train Depot and the cruise port. However it does not state it's wheelchair accessible .

The Shuttle Bus

The cost to ride the shuttle bus is $5.00 per person, but it is good for the entire day and you can hop on and off all that you would like. While Seward is not all that large, the shuttle is an excellent way to explore it on your own. It runs from the cruise terminal through the small boat harbor area and into downtown Seward making several stops.

I checked with the shuttle service in Alaska,that one that states they will pick you up at your hotel and take you directly to the port in Seward. They do not offer wheel chair accessible vehicles. There are a limited number of wheel chair accessible cabs in Anchorage but no concern is in Seward. It looks like we may just have to walk the half mile or so and send someone ahead in a cab with the luggage.

If anyone knows of any other accessible transportaion in Anchorage or Seward please share the info.

Archived