Trying to decide between an excursion that visits Vasa Museum or the archipelago?

Hi,

I will be in Stockholm as part of a Baltic cruise next year. It has been highly recommended by a friend of mine to see the Vasa Museum. He also told me that it is well worth it to get out by boat and see the islands. Unfortunately, I can't come across any ship excursions that do both. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice!

Will your ship be sailing through the archipelago?

If the itinerary says it berths at Stadsgarten or Frihamnen, it will - both locations are in Stockholm. :)

So you can enjoy that experience as you arrive and leave. And being high up on a large ship as you cruise the narrow channels almost brushing the trees is quite something - possibly on a small boat it's a lesser experience.

But some ships, generally the very large ones, berth on the coast about an hour away from Stockholm at Nynashamn - generally because they're too large or ill-equipped to sail through the archipelago :(

That may make the decision for you.

But either way, I don't know that I'd want to miss Vasa or Gamla Stan.

Including the ten to fifteen minutes each way by bus or ho-ho boat from the old city centre around Gamla Stan, Vasa will take mebbe 2 hours of your day - leaving plenty of time to explore the other delights of Stockholm.

How does that time-scale compare to the ship's archipelago excursion?

Or mebbe others can advise of any suitable ferry route through the islands.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The Vasa is probably the most popular attraction for visitors to Stockholm. We were on the first HOHO boat headed there which we boarded just steps away from where the Eclipse docked. It is a bit of a walk from where the HOHO stopped for the Vasa to the museum. For the first half-hour or so, we virtually had the place to ourselves, but by the time we left it was quite crowded. From there the HOHO boat took us to Gamla Stan, where we spent the rest of our time in port.

John - I have no idea how we're going out. Stockholm is the departure port for the cruise. From there we go to Helsinki. I really don't know the actual port name where we will be in Stockholm. Thanks for the info about time-frame needed, etc. I'll keep researching this and see when the water-related excursions are and perhaps be able to do both.

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by three4rd

John - I have no idea how we're going out. Stockholm is the departure port for the cruise. From there we go to Helsinki. I really don't know the actual port name where we will be in Stockholm. Thanks for the info about time-frame needed, etc. I'll keep researching this and see when the water-related excursions are and perhaps be able to do both.

Thanks,

Keith

Name your ship and your date, Keith, and either folk will know or can dig out your berth.

If Stockholm is your embarkation port, is it possible to head there a day or two early & spend some pre-cruise time there?

Thanks,

Keith

On July 26 Serenade of the Seas is booked to dock at Frihamnen in Stockholm. That means you will go through the archipelago on your way to Helsinki. I think the passage takes three to four hours, and at that time of the year the sunset is around 9.30 pm so you will be able to see a lot of it before sunset. Really no need for an excursion pre-cruise. Don't miss the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

Another person here recommended the Ho/Ho boats to get to and from the museum. That does not apply to Frihamnen port, no Ho/Ho boats there. They are at Stadsgården port.

Hi north-bound,

Thanks so much for checking that out. The Serenade on 7/26 is my ship. Can't wait for that sail-away!

The one excursion I'm thinking of booking also goes to Sigtuna as well as including Stockholm and the Museum. Is it worth it to go to Sigtuna? It sounds nice enough from what I've read.

John - I don't think I'll opt for an extra pre-day. We embark on Saturday and the ship doesn't sail out until Sunday evening.

Thanks again for more helpful suggestions.

On July 26 Serenade of the Seas is booked to dock at Frihamnen in Stockholm. That means you will go through the archipelago on your way to Helsinki. .

Hi north-bound,

The Serenade on 7/26 is my ship. .

See, I told you someone would know where your ship berths. :)

But I didn't expect you to be told 45 minutes before you named your ship.

Neat trick, north-bound :cool: :D

Frihamnen is a bus or taxi ride from the centre, but importantly no need for that boat excursion - your sailaway will be through the archipelago.

Sorry, don't know Sigtuna. A lot of photos of it look like bits of li'l olde England. Very attractive. A 40 minute ride e/w, I don't know how attractive the route.

Vasa & Gamla Stan don't need a tour, though best if you visit Vasa early before the crowds. Queues can build up later in the day because folk are held at the entrance to match numbers entering with those leaving (if you're there later in the day on a tour I'm guessing that doesn't apply)

Now that your mind is set on going to Vasa and sailing the Archipelago with your ship, you can just relax a bit and plan some of your days in Stockholm. As has been said by everyone, the Vasa Museum is probably the main attraction in Stockholm. But try and get there when it first opens as, some days, it does get crowded and they do limit the number of people in the museum at any one time. Several people have come back saying that they stood on line waiting for entry. It opens at 10:))AM up until May 31, after that it opens at 08:30AM. It might be a good idea to do this on embarkation day, and go and see Gamla Stan after you get settled in your hotel.

The Archipelago

http://vid834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1374.mp4

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1342.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1341.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1343.jpg

Cheers

Len

The Vasa is a unique and special place to visit. With all that is available there to view, plan on spending a few hours. Visiting there and the lovely Gamla Stan makes for a wonderful day in Stockholm. You will see the archipelago when your ship sails for Helsinki.

Many thanks again. The tour I was thinking of taking that goes to Stockholm and Sigtuna leaves at 8:30 a.m. It appears that it does the old town and museum in the morning, and then goes on to Sigtuna later in the day - 6 hour tour in all.

I don't think I'll plan much in advance for the embarkation day, since I'm not certain what time we'll actually get settled in our room. I didn't plan any flights yet. Embarkation is scheduled for between 11-3.

Edited by three4rd

Embarkation is scheduled for between 11-3.

Keith, if I'm reading your post correctly you overnite on the ship in port on the Saturday nite?

That's not the norm, but it's not particularly unusual - I've done a number of cruises which involve the first night in port.

But in those circumstances I'd normally expect that you could embark at any time between about 11-12noon on the Saturday and about 2 hours before your sailing on the Sunday. i.e. if your flight means you arrive at 7 o'clock on the Saturday evening you can embark then.

Worth checking?

"11 til 3" is the sort of embarkation time I'd expect for the more usual embarkation/sailing on the same day.

(when fixing your own flights rather than cruise-air, it's always wise to book flights for the day before so that a flight delay or cancellation doesn't mean that you miss the sailing. The overnite in port neatly covers that. :))

Hi north-bound,

Thanks so much for checking that out. The Serenade on 7/26 is my ship. Can't wait for that sail-away!

The one excursion I'm thinking of booking also goes to Sigtuna as well as including Stockholm and the Museum. Is it worth it to go to Sigtuna? It sounds nice enough from what I've read.

Sigtuna is a nice very small town. It is the oldest town in Sweden but soon lost its importance to nearby Stockholm and Uppsala. More of a tourist place now. In my mind it sort of resembles St. Augustine in Florida. Nice to visit but not important. And since Sigtuna is close to Arlanda Airport most of the road to get there is likely to be the same as you see when going from the airport to Stockholm.

So my advice would be to spend the short time you have here in Stockhom. It is a beautiful city. You don't need any tour to visit the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan, they are best seen on your own. Public transport in Stockholm is reliable and it is easy to get around. People you meet will be able to speak English.

There is often on this board a recommendation that you go to the Vasa Museum first thing in the morning. I think this is correct if you can be there at the time when it opens, because it tends to fill up quickly after opening. But when I have had friends visitng I have always taken them in the afternoon, and have never had any problems, so for people who for some reason can not be there at opening time it may well be better to go later in the day and not in the mornng.

If you have the time, a tour of the Stockholm city hall is very worthwhile. It is where they hold the Nobel award dinner each year. The guides do an excellent job helping you imagine the event. The building itself is very beautiful.

If you haven't booked your flights yet, keep in mind that Stockholm seems to be the city that everyone wishes they had just " one more day" there - no matter how many days they allocated originally!

Thanks for the additional replies!

I'll have to decide on Sigtuna. It does seem like it'd be a nice place to visit.

North-bound - thanks for the suggestion about possibly skipping Sigtuna and just spending the time in Stockholm. That sounds like a good idea.

John - I also don't understand that short embarkation window on Saturday and no mention made of any other time. It does seem extremely limiting. I'm going to plan to arrive at ARN in the morning anyway, figuring the sooner we get on the ship the better - can get some lunch and settled in the room, unlike a recent Caribbean cruise that I did where the flights were delayed close to 6 hours and we barely got on the ship before it sailed. IF it was not a case of embarking on the ship the day before sailing and thus would need a hotel, I would have come in the day before anyway. As things are, I don't think I'll add yet another day since then I would need a hotel. I sent an email to RCCL with several questions about this cruise but have yet to hear back from them.

I agree with North Bound, a tour is not necessary. The bus from Frihammen goes directly to the Vasa museum and Gamla Stan. We had an overnight stay in Stockholm so bought a 24 hour travel card. We used them on the buses, tram and ferry boats. They were good value for money, but can't remember how much we paid.

I think we went to the Vasa museum about 10.30. There was a tour in English which is included in the entrance price.

We loved Stockholm, a very beautiful city.

• 2 months later...
I would like to join the others - Vasa is the 100% must-see! Also, take your time to walk in the city centre, you will enjoy it a lot even if you don't have much time.

Stockholm is now one of my favorite cities and I'm planning to get back there one day:rolleyes:

Jane

The Vasa Museum is wonderful. We shared a taxi from the ship and got to the Vasa Museum when it just opened. When you go inside there are free tour guides, get with one and start your tour right away. By the time you finish the museum is filling up quickly. After we finished there we walked outside the museum on the back side and took a water taxi. We walked through town and had lunch, it was a great day. Saw lots of interesting places on own.