Monterey Bay Aquarium - how close to cruise ship?

mmllss

Just wondering how close the cruise ship is to the Monterey Bay Aquarium - walking distance or are there shuttles? Also in San Diego does anyone have ideas of the best way to get to Sea World (shuttle, cab, ubber?)

In Monterey you will tender in. I don't know exactly where the tenders dock, but any place I can think of would be walkable. If you dock at Fisherman's wharf, the mostly likely place, I would think, it's about a 15 minute walk along the bay on a nice smooth walking/biking path.

We took the free shuttle to the aquarium, it's a good couple hours of entertainment for minimal expense. Then on the spur of the moment took the bay cruise, where (surprise surprise), all the other princess cruisers were getting off the boat. From what I understand it was really crowded during the princess excursion, but our's probably had 40 people!

There's an interesting mall across the street, not touristy at all.

Couldn't get on the free shuttle back to the ship, it was always full with a huge line waiting. Took a cab back for less than $10.

We took the free shuttle to the aquarium, it's a good couple hours of entertainment for minimal expense. Then on the spur of the moment took the bay cruise, where (surprise surprise), all the other princess cruisers were getting off the boat. From what I understand it was really crowded during the princess excursion, but our's probably had 40 people!

There's an interesting mall across the street, not touristy at all.

Couldn't get on the free shuttle back to the ship, it was always full with a huge line waiting. Took a cab back for less than $10.

Regarding the free shuttle to the Monterey aquarium it only operates in the summer months. I just did research on that and posted it on the Ruby Princess March 10, 2018 sailing. I spoke to the MST transportation guy and the trolley is not when we go. However, upon pressing further there is a regular transit bus we could use. Check the last few pages of my roll call. Ken has posted some pictures of the Fisherman's Wharf area and I have included a map showing the bus route plus bus prices.

Sali

I did not realize that Monterey , California was a port of call on some cruises. Learn something new everyday .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't speak about other cruise lines, but Princess has just included it on some of the Pacific Coastal cruises.

I will be with cruising friends March 10, 2018 on the Ruby Princess.

Sali

I can't speak about other cruise lines, but Princess has just included it on some of the Pacific Coastal cruises.

I will be with cruising friends March 10, 2018 on the Ruby Princess.

Sali

You stand a chance of seeing whales at that time. We went in late March one year and stayed onboard. We were up in the lounge at the very top of the ship and saw whales, whales, whales ... so awesome!!

Just wondering how close the cruise ship is to the Monterey Bay Aquarium - walking distance or are there shuttles? Also in San Diego does anyone have ideas of the best way to get to Sea World (shuttle, cab, ubber?)

They will almost assuredly tender you in to Fisherman's Wharf. From there, the Aquarium is about a 30 minute walk (about 1.5 miles) ... just stick along the waterfront on the paved walking path ... when you get to town, continue as down along this road (stick to the streets that follow the shoreline) towards Pacific Grove. You will run right into the Aquarium. If you are sure you are going to want to go to the Aquarium, you might want to consider buying your tickets ahead of time. The line can get quite long when there are so many additional tourists in town.

Last time we were in San Diego, we caught the bus to get out to Sea World. It was timely, could be caught nearby the cruise ship dock and very inexpensive. But, if you want door to door or are nervous about taking the wrong bus, Uber would also be a good alternative. Of note, when we were in San Diego on a cruise nearly two years ago, there were ambassadors of the city there to assist passengers on how to get around and best things to see. They did this on a volunteer basis ... such a wonderful service!!