Oversize luggage on Air France

toothmaker

Getting ready for flight to Copenhagen via Delta/Air France.

Checked the size limitations for checked and carry on luggage and find our luggage is over by 1.5" for both types. Has anyone flown these two airlines and had issues with oversize baggage fees? Really can't afford to pay $100.00 for 2nd bag. Thanks for any replies.

Getting ready for flight to Copenhagen via Delta/Air France.

Checked the size limitations for checked and carry on luggage and find our luggage is over by 1.5" for both types. Has anyone flown these two airlines and had issues with oversize baggage fees? Really can't afford to pay $100.00 for 2nd bag. Thanks for any replies.

Are they giving you 2 free regular checked bags per measurement or are you talking about an oversized carry on?

I have flown AF a few times and they made me check my carry on because it would not fit in the measuring stand. They also measured and weighed my regular checked bags.

They are more strict than any other international airline I have flown.

If you check your bags through and your first flight is Delta connecting with AF you may be ok.

Recently taking an Air France flight the gate personal went around and fave people tags for their carryons. The tags indicated if the bag went under the seat or in the overhead bin. They also checked the size of any bags they thought were too large.

I wouldn't take the risk. It would be very expensive to deal with this issue at the airport. You can't predict how strict they will be.

I flew British Air once and had an upgraded ticket that allowed me to have 2 carry-ons. One of the agents walked around the seating area checking everyone. She started yelling at me for having 2 bags. I explained and showed her my ticket. After a lot of muttering she made me take the bags to the counter to measure them. Both were visibly smaller than standard carry-ons but she was very unhappy that day and I became a target of her mood. She finally went away after telling me she was tired of people not following rules and trying to get away with everything.

Other times I see baggage agents slapping a sticker on a large bag that indicates that it is oversized and sending travelers on their way with a smile. Just make sure that it is not overweight.

Happy travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Smiling Cruiser

If it's over the limit then expect to pay the fee or buy new luggage. This isn't a US carrier where you nobody gives a crap.

If you can't afford $100 then I think you may want to rethink your priorities.

Not only do airlines check luggage some European airports do as well.

We've been in and out of CPH a number of times and had inconsistent experiences. Flew out of there twice in the last 4 months and our bags were checked in the sizers for two different airlines.

If you want to avoid any costly penalty then you might want to consider a new model which should also be lighter. In the long run oversize and overweight luggage will probably get an agent's attention.

If looking for smaller checked/carry on luggage don't forget to count the wheels. And if you are searching for a new bag don't rely on every on line luggage shop. Not every store makes the dimensions clear.

If you can't afford the possibility of having to pay $100 because you have a bag that is over the limit, you should find a bag that is strictly within their limit and cut down on what you are packing. Take out a pair of shoes (do you really need that many?), take out some of the clothes (do you really need 2 full outfits a day and never wear anything twice?). Most cruise lines have either a self-serve laundromat or a laundry service. Make use of it.

Sorry if this seems harsh. But, if you are taking an oversize bag, you need to expect to pay for it.

Are they giving you 2 free regular checked bags per measurement or are you talking about an oversized carry on?

I have flown AF a few times and they made me check my carry on because it would not fit in the measuring stand. They also measured and weighed my regular checked bags.

They are more strict than any other international airline I have flown.

If you check your bags through and your first flight is Delta connecting with AF you may be ok.

From time to time airlines tell there staff to focus on baggage limits. So for a week or two they focus on it. After a while they focus on something else. Your also dealing with the fact that most of these airlines have their own staff in the hubs and major out-stations. For the smaller outstations, the people wearing the AF are not AF employees. They are contractors who are doing AF for 3 hours, after the flight goes out they change uniforms are more do another airline for a few airlines. All the airlines do these. These outstations are not all that consistent. They may do a good job at following the rules or maybe not.

As other have said. If your just over the limits there is a good chance it will be a non-issue, however you need to go in with the expectation that you will be asked to pay the extra fee. For $100 you may decided your better off with new luggage.

Really can't afford to pay $100.00 for 2nd bag. Thanks for any replies.

If you really can't afford $100 to check a 2nd bag, then you can't afford to take any chances. Assume that everything will be weighed and measured and pack accordingly. Buy new luggage that strictly fits the standard allowed. Make sure to include wheels and handles when you measure.

• 2 months later...

We are flying from Atlanta to Marseille, France to get on the Meraviglia next March for a cruise in the Mediterranean. We are flying Air France round-trip, and recently just found out that my lovely rolling carry-on luggage is too tall, and will have to replace with new luggage for this trip. Can anyone recommend any carry-on rolling and non-rolling luggage that you are happy with? Will need to buy a couple of this size for future trips. Thank you in advance for any helpful suitcase/baggage/luggage info. :rolleyes:

*AF Restrictions are:

Your hand baggage must not exceed the following dimensions: 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.9 in (including pockets, wheels and handles).

The combined weight of your hand baggage item and accessory must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb or 18 kg / 39.7 lb, depending on your travel cabin.

Your travel cabin is shown on your ticket.

SIZE LIMIT FOR HAND BAGGAGE

bagage-cabine.png%5B600_300xoxar%5D.png

excuse me, but I'm totally confused by your response just now. Please note-this was my question-----

Can anyone recommend any carry-on rolling and non-rolling luggage that you are happy with? Will need to buy a couple of this size for future trips. Thank you in advance for any helpful suitcase/baggage/luggage info. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Sorry, comply with the specific limits or be well prepared to pay extra fees. Why do you think the policy isn't going to apply to you?

Over the years, I've been quite happy with my Hartmann and Tumi luggage. Hartmann quality has gone down hill, so I'd say Tumi will last for years. Briggs and Reilly also make some excellent bags.

Select a brand first, then see what they make that meets your needs.

As for specific bags that fit those dimensions....sorry, not working as a personal shopper these days.

Thanks so much!! :-)

Over the years, I've been quite happy with my Hartmann and Tumi luggage. Hartmann quality has gone down hill, so I'd say Tumi will last for years. Briggs and Reilly also make some excellent bags.

Select a brand first, then see what they make that meets your needs.

As for specific bags that fit those dimensions....sorry, not working as a personal shopper these days.

I flew Air France round trip from Boston to Paris just a couple of weeks ago, economy going, premium economy for the way back. I use a backpack that fits under the seat for my carry-on, plus a purse. No one ever looked at my backpack or my purse, no tags, no weighing of course, either. I will mention on my way home there was so little space under the seat in front of me, that I put my backpack in the overhead bin...the first time ever that I’ve done that.

think I'm going to have to do the backpack thing. Thanks so much. Have a picture of yours to share? :-) How did you fare in Paris? I've heard nightmares about CDG Airport, and people running to catch their connecting flights due to long lines waiting to go thru Security. Please give us some good news. We're flying from Atlanta to Paris, then a connecting flight to Marseille on our way to our Cruise. Oh my.....Thanks again for the response. :-)

I've heard nightmares about CDG Airport, and people running to catch their connecting flights due to long lines waiting to go thru Security.

Thought problem. Several wide-bodies arrive within a few minutes of each other. You have between 200 and 400 some passengers on each aircraft. Will this create bottlenecks at security screening? (Answer: Yes)

Yours is the only aircraft to arrive in a 15 minute window. Will you have a bottleneck? (Answer: Only to the extent of the passengers on your aircraft).

So, much depends on what the status is of all the other incoming flights. Could be light, could be heavy.

Also, you will have inbound Schengen immigration along with the security screening. Don't dawdle.

The good news is that your onward flight to MRS departs from T2F. So no bus over to T2G. You'll arrive at T2E, at one of the three concourses (called Halls). Look at a map of CDG in advance so you'll have an idea of what's happening. Follow the signs that say "Correspondances" or "Connecting Flights" to 2F once you have determined your gate number at T2F.

Thanks so much for the advise.

I flew Air France round trip from Boston to Paris just a couple of weeks ago, economy going, premium economy for the way back. I use a backpack that fits under the seat for my carry-on, plus a purse. No one ever looked at my backpack or my purse, no tags, no weighing of course, either. I will mention on my way home there was so little space under the seat in front of me, that I put my backpack in the overhead bin...the first time ever that I’ve done that.

thank you for the awesome tidbit on CDG Airport. Yes, we are arriving from the US at T2E.....is that walking/running distance to T2F? Is there any English signage when we get off our overnight flight from the US at CDG so where know where to head through security checks, etc before making a dash for our connecting flight at T2F?

quote=FlyerTalker;54659655]Thought problem. Several wide-bodies arrive within a few minutes of each other. You have between 200 and 400 some passengers on each aircraft. Will this create bottlenecks at security screening? (Answer: Yes)

Yours is the only aircraft to arrive in a 15 minute window. Will you have a bottleneck? (Answer: Only to the extent of the passengers on your aircraft).

So, much depends on what the status is of all the other incoming flights. Could be light, could be heavy.

Also, you will have inbound Schengen immigration along with the security screening. Don't dawdle.

The good news is that your onward flight to MRS departs from T2F. So no bus over to T2G. You'll arrive at T2E, at one of the three concourses (called Halls). Look at a map of CDG in advance so you'll have an idea of what's happening. Follow the signs that say "Correspondances" or "Connecting Flights" to 2F once you have determined your gate number at T2F.

thank you for the awesome tidbit on CDG Airport. Yes, we are arriving from the US at T2E.....is that walking/running distance to T2F? Is there any English signage when we get off our overnight flight from the US at CDG so where know where to head through security checks, etc before making a dash for our connecting flight at T2F?

Plenty of signage nowdays. One good thing from the KL-AF merger was that the lessons of good signage from AMS are being transfered to CDG. As for "walking distance" - depends on your definition. There will definitely be some distances to cover.

One more thing...you will need to have boarding passes and passports handy at security checks, so don't bury them in a bag.