The Drake

flipper32

Cool Cruiser -- I am curious as to what model Sony cam that you settled on. Is it a dedicated video camera? I am trying to decide whether or not to get a really good DSLR camera that also shoots video, or a dedicated video camcorder (which seem to be a dying breed). How do you like your Sony?

Cool Cruiser -- I am curious as to what model Sony cam that you settled on. Is it a dedicated video camera? I am trying to decide whether or not to get a really good DSLR camera that also shoots video, or a dedicated video camcorder (which seem to be a dying breed). How do you like your Sony?

Hi Safarigal,

My Sony is a dedicated video camera, model HDR-PJ540. It's a great camera - very compact. No viewfinder (I still miss that at times) so you have to use the LCD screen that opens up on the side, which works fine although depending on how the light hits the screen it's really hard to see what you're filming. In situations like that is when a viewfinder really works well and is definitely missed. My model also has a projector feature so that you can project the footage right onto a wall. It works really well. It can also take still shots, which is a nice feature. Video and audio quality are both really good also. I highly recommend the Sony if you think that's what you might be looking for. I know there is a newer model out since mine is already 2 years old.

• 7 months later...

I don't think seasickness tendency is black-or-white. I have found that I get motion sickness or don't, in various circumstances. The worst was when I mixed candy and beer, while out on a 39' sloop, with a distant storm raising a nice swell. The standard pills are cheap and my wife and I will be prepared when we cross the Drake Passage.

Since photography has mixed in on this thread, I have been considering one of the nicer Sony point-shoot cameras. Is there any benefit to a faster lens (f/1.4 or f1.8)? A lot of nice pictures from the Antarctic seem to have overcast sky combined with ice and snow. It doesn't seem like such conditions would call for a fast lens. Does the wildlife justify a fast shutter (and therefore a fast lens)?

Does the wildlife justify a fast shutter (and therefore a fast lens)?

It depends on what you're hoping to shoot. If you want good pictures of petrels and albatross from the ship, then speed is fairly essential. It also helps if you want to shoot whales, since they surface for such brief moments. But all of the Antarctic wildlife is streamlined for the air or the water. On land they're all pretty lethargic, so it's easy to get a million great shots of penguins and seals with a pretty slow camera.