Cabo, Cancun Travel Safety State Dept. Warning??!!

TLCOhio

From the Los Angeles Times, they have this headline today: U.S. warns citizens about traveling to Mexico's Cancun and Los Cabos as violence surges with these highlights: “TThe U.S. State Department has warned its citizens about traveling to Cancun and Los Cabos, two of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, after a surge in violence in those regions. A travel advisory issued Tuesday upgraded the warnings for two states, Quintana Roo and Baja California Sur, saying turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime and shootings in which innocent bystanders have been killed.”.

In March, we super loved out first visit to Cabo. Great location, food, scenery, etc.!!! How do others react to these latest incidents in an area that had previously been considered safe?

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Los Angeles Times, they have this headline today: U.S. warns citizens about traveling to Mexico's Cancun and Los Cabos as violence surges with these highlights: “TThe U.S. State Department has warned its citizens about traveling to Cancun and Los Cabos, two of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, after a surge in violence in those regions. A travel advisory issued Tuesday upgraded the warnings for two states, Quintana Roo and Baja California Sur, saying turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime and shootings in which innocent bystanders have been killed.”.

In March, we super loved out first visit to Cabo. Great location, food, scenery, etc.!!! How do others react to these latest incidents in an area that had previously been considered safe?

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580[/url][url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580]

Hi Terry,

I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.

Go and enjoy the beach. Take the water taxi from the port and first visit "Los Arcos" and then off to "Playa El Medano" to enjoy the water and a beachfront bar like Mango Deck.

Hi selectsys,

Thank you for the suggestions. They sound great. Sounds like we might have a plan now. Again thanks for the suggestions

I am more concerned about the "TAINTED" alcohol problems in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and other resorts areas.

I know the State Dept. also issued travel warnings for these areas since an American tourist died at one of the Iberostar Resorts. They have found tainted illegal liquor at many of the "better" resorts in recent weeks. They have no idea where it is coming from.

I was thinking of spending the day at Nacchi Cocum in Cozumel when we go on our cruise in October, but now I am not so sure it is such a good idea. I always expect to hear about tainted liquor in certain areas of Mexico, but not at the High End Resorts. This just started a couple of months ago and it seems to be spreading from Cancun down south through Playa De Carmen and south from there. I am still debating. I am curious if anyone else has any opinions about spending the day at an All Inclusive Resort is Cozumel? :(

Hi Terry, I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.

Appreciate these various follow-ups and comments. Good luck to our "neighbors" in Missouri when you visit Cabo next week for the first time. We will hope for the best in the future.

Yes, Cabo was super wonderful for us during our visit. Need evidence? Here are few of my visual samples to prove its description of "gorgeous" that many have used for this location. You can see many, many more Cabo pictures and details on page three of my live/blog at:

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,143 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is that famed “hole” at El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. This icon sight is shown both from the Sea of Cortez and Pacific Ocean sides. Great “drama” on such a bright, sunny day!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)MarTravel2017A%20099_zps19gbqeqa.jpg

MarTravel2017A%20103_zps8vah8aio.jpg

We were so fortunate to have some great views of seals and sea lions. Such fun as these pictures illustrate. Don’t you just love these anmals and their great facial expressions?:

MarTravel2017A%20100_zps8zug5x4h.jpg

Here is another wildlife picture from our private water taxi boat tour down to the bottom of El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. Good-looking bird?:

MarTravel2017A%20102_zpsgacbnxke.jpg

Here is one typical visual from the shopping area of Cabo as we walked after our water taxi tour down to the rocks, “hole” and back. Yes, lots of nice-looking buildings, places to spend money, etc., in Cabo. Even a big shopping mall here with many of the “usual suspects” located there, etc.:

MarTravel2017A%20109_zpsfpcuwm4d.jpg

My wife is enjoying her drink!! We had a brunch here and the food was super outstanding. WOW!! Great drinks, food and sights on the beach at The Office dining location! Plus, perfect weather and a wide variety of “people action”! What can be better?.:

MarTravel2017A%20111_zpsnisvymjx.jpg

Thank you for the pictures Terry. They are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Thanks for the well wishes too! Hoping for fun and safe travels for all

Appreciate your nice comments and this follow-ups. Be sure to report back here and post an update as to how your visit to Cabo worked, the conditions there, what the ship did and said for this visit, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,607 views for these postings.

We're in Cabo as we speak. Arrived on 8/19, leaving tomorrow. We're staying at the Hilton. Did a sunset dinner cruise, took the public bus to San Jose del Cabo, meandered all over the place. Didn't see any bandidos with or without a mustache. I just can't imagine not getting off the ship and exploring the port.

Hi Terry,

I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.

Not that I agree or disagree with whatever stats the State Dept uses to generate a warning, but we were there two weeks ago, no issues. We had our two kids with us. Did the cruise excursion and saw the arches, bathed on one of the beaches, and did some shopping.

We have a 5 dayer, 2 days in Cabo, booked for March.

We LOVE Cabo and still plan to go.

Cruise ships won't go where it is unsafe.

The only place where I have truly felt

uncomfortable is Acapulco, and that was a few years ago.

Patti

Of course, but the problem is there is no indicator light in the port that says "safe" or "unsafe." It is certainly more unsafe than it has been in the past. But what does that mean? Cruise lines will continue to go there until they figure out an alternative and/or until a cruise passenger is killed. I wouldn't want to be that one passenger, or you could be one of the thousands that go there without a problem. Everyone should do their own research to determine if its safe for them. Don't rely on a cruise company to decide this for you as their decision is likely to be more financial (including lawsuits) than anything else.

Hello everyone

We just got back from Cabo San Lucas. We walked around downtown and definitely saw a police presence. We felt pretty safe. We saw police on corners around shopa. We saw open air keeps with police with some pretty impressive guns (looked like machine guns). But I don't know my guns. There were lots of people out in the shops and restaurants. So it was definitely safety in numbers. On the first day only 800 people stayed on the boat. Thought I would give you my take on my visit to CAbo. People are so nice there. We had great time

Hello everyone. We just got back from Cabo San Lucas. We walked around downtown and definitely saw a police presence. We felt pretty safe. We saw police on corners around shopa. We saw open air keeps with police with some pretty impressive guns (looked like machine guns). But I don't know my guns. There were lots of people out in the shops and restaurants. So it was definitely safety in numbers. On the first day only 800 people stayed on the boat. Thought I would give you my take on my visit to CAbo. People are so nice there. We had great time

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups about the current conditions and safety in Cabo. Glad to hear these added details. We super loved Cabo. Hopefully things go well and that the cruise lines will continue to monitor carefully conditions there.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,874 views for this posting.

Terry the link you provided is no longer working.

I am unaware of innocent bystanders being killed in Cabo, so far, the crimes have been targeted. There is a good police presence all over downtown.

The most tragic thing that has happened in Cabo recently is Tropical Storm Lidia which hit on Thursday, August 31. There was a great amount of rain causing mud slides, bridges collapse, even some building collapsed. Clean up has begun and is proceeding rapidly because Cabo relies on tourism dollars. There was not much coverage of this with the US media because the focus is on Houston.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/potential-tropical-cyclone-fourteen-e-tropical-storm-hurricane-lidia-los-cabos

Terry the link you provided is no longer working. I am unaware of innocent bystanders being killed in Cabo, so far, the crimes have been targeted. There is a good police presence all over downtown. The most tragic thing that has happened in Cabo recently is Tropical Storm Lidia which hit on Thursday, August 31. There was a great amount of rain causing mud slides, bridges collapse, even some building collapsed. Clean up has begun and is proceeding rapidly because Cabo relies on tourism dollars. There was not much coverage of this with the US media because the focus is on Houston.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/potential-tropical-cyclone-fourteen-e-tropical-storm-hurricane-lidia-los-cabos

Appreciate your very good follow-up and the added information you provided. I copied and put this link into my Google search box and the original LA Times article came up. Might re-try that way. Or try to click on it as now posted.

www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,874 views for this posting.

Perhaps instead of seeing what the LA Times or Washington Post is saying about Cabo, maybe its best to read the REAL Cabo news here: http://www.itravel-cabo.com/news.aspx

Appreciate this link and follow-up. From that local news source, they have this headline: Shooting in central area of San Jose del Cabo with these highlights: Driver chased and shot dead in San Jose del Cabo - crashing into Fonatur building. Bad news. Another fatal shooting in San Jose del Cabo this morning. The event occurred around 11am this morning. Suspected gunmen chased a driver of a red Mitsubishi car, and opened fire. It is thought the victim tried to evade his attackers by heading for the Gazebo at the Fonatur building. The incident took place in a very public area. Near a major supermarket, right next to the main road intersection that goes to the airport. Tourists are often present in this area." Not sure this story helps me feel better and safer if I was in the Cabo region.

Full story at:

http://www.itravel-cabo.com/news/cabo-news/shooting-in-central-area-of-san-jose-del-cabo

Something I will never understand is why Mexico is considered to be so much worse than other cruise destinations. There are State Dept Warnings issued for many Caribbean Islands, yet the cruise lines continue to go and there doesn't seem to be this type of discussion.

A number of years ago, a 14 year old cruise ship passenger was killed in the crossfire at St Thomas USVI. The port was never pulled from itineraries. Yet cruise ship passengers witnessed a shoot out in the Golden Zone in Mazatlan and the ships stopped going there for years, really messed up their economy.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/13/teen-tourist-killed-in-crossfire-in-u-s-virgin-islands/comment-page-3/

Thanks for the link Ano, I was not aware of that publication. I get headlines from the Gringo Gazette about breaking news.