A Complete Guide for New Smoking Areas on NCL vessels

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:57 AM.
#21
Spring Grove, IL
287 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Just off the Pearl.

Deck 13-Sky High Bar-Port side

Deck 12-Pool area-Port side

Casino-(If you are actively gambling)

Hope this helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3-14 Norwegian Sun
3-12 Norwegian Sun
5-09 Norwegian Sky
3-09 Norwegian Pearl
3-08 Norwegian Dawn
3-07 Enchantment of the Seas
#23
Wisconsin
913 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by hpecorari
SUN

Inside

Casino


Outside

Pool deck - where the ash trays are - Starboard side of the stage
Great Outdoor - up on flight of steps - Aft

Those are the ones I remember.

Harriet
Haven't sailed the sun since 2010. Thanks for the information.
I do remember the steps to deck 11 to the aft of Great Outdoor. I have back, hip and leg problems, is there another way to get upstairs or do I need to find an elevator?

Thanks again!
Mary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


"Don't take life too seriously; nobody makes it out alive anyway!"

2001 Carival Imagination
2001 Carnival Triumph
2002 Carnival Pride
2003 Norwegian Dream
2004 Mariner Of The Seas
2005 Celebrity Summit
2006 Norwegian Sun Panama Canal
2007 Norwegian Spirit "I've Been Everywhere" Cruise
2009 Norwegian Pearl Repo Panama Canal
2010 Norwegian Sun Eastern/Western 14 day

2012 NCL Simple Man Cruise, photographers for Preacher Stone/Lynyrd Skynyrd Charter Cruise Simple Man
2014 NCL Simple Man Cruise, photographers for Preacher Stone/Foghat Charter Cruise Simple Man
2015 NCL Sun 29 days Tampa-Panama Canal-Canada-Alaska-back to Canada















#24
new jersey United States
1,124 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Does the breakaway have a smoking section in the haven? On the haven private sundeck?
Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


NCL STAR 9/9/12-9/16/12 Bermuda
NCL GEM 5/11/3-5/18/13 Bahamas/Florida
NCL BREAKAWAY 4/27/14-5/4/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL GEM 8/23/14-8/30/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL Breakaway 2/13/15 2 Day CTN
NCL Breakaway 5/10/15 -5/17/15 Bermuda
NCL Gem 4/11/16- 4/21/16 10 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Gem 12/29/16-1/8/17 10 Day Eastern Caribbean-NY Eve Cruise
NCL Gem 5/13/17-5/20/17 Bahamas/Florida
#25
227 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by wesnliz
Can anyone share the EPIC smoking areas? I'm probably going to smoke on the balcony while no one is around and if I get charged 250 I don't really care, but would like to know where the other options are so I can avoid that.
I was on the Epic back in Jan and thought they had a fair amount of space for smokers. The bar side of Spice H2O, main pool deck close to the Waves (starboard ??), Posh (starboard??) next to the bar. One area of the casino, we saw them pointing smokers to the correct area, and cigar bar. Not sure if there are more as I'm not a smoker but did notice them as someone in our group was a smoker.
#26
PA
5,023 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by House_Atreides
Haven't sailed the sun since 2010. Thanks for the information.
I do remember the steps to deck 11 to the aft of Great Outdoor. I have back, hip and leg problems, is there another way to get upstairs or do I need to find an elevator?

Thanks again!
Mary
You can go to deck 11 aft and walk through the Tapas restaurant where there is a door to go outside to the smoking area there.

Harriet
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
September 2016 -7-Day NCL Escape (2nd time) AFT Mini Suite
December 2016 - 7 day NCL Jade Caribbean - GV
January 2017 - 14-Day Southern Caribbean (Celebrity Eclipse)Sky Suite
April 2017- 11-Day Eastern Caribbean (NCL - Gem) 2-Bedroom Suite
July 2017 - 7-Day Bahamas (NCL - GEM - Owners Suite)
September 2017 - 10-Day Ultimate Alaska (NCL-Jewel) Forward Penthouse
#27
Wisconsin
913 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by hpecorari
You can go to deck 11 aft and walk through the Tapas restaurant where there is a door to go outside to the smoking area there.

Harriet
That's wonderful to know; thanks again Harriet
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


"Don't take life too seriously; nobody makes it out alive anyway!"

2001 Carival Imagination
2001 Carnival Triumph
2002 Carnival Pride
2003 Norwegian Dream
2004 Mariner Of The Seas
2005 Celebrity Summit
2006 Norwegian Sun Panama Canal
2007 Norwegian Spirit "I've Been Everywhere" Cruise
2009 Norwegian Pearl Repo Panama Canal
2010 Norwegian Sun Eastern/Western 14 day

2012 NCL Simple Man Cruise, photographers for Preacher Stone/Lynyrd Skynyrd Charter Cruise Simple Man
2014 NCL Simple Man Cruise, photographers for Preacher Stone/Foghat Charter Cruise Simple Man
2015 NCL Sun 29 days Tampa-Panama Canal-Canada-Alaska-back to Canada















#28
26 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
We were in the Breakaway in October. We hung out on the Waterfront -- there were pub tables, couches and regular chairs with little tables there. Also in the lido deck - one of the pool bars was smoking and there was a small enclosed area with some chair there. That area did get crowded during the day. In the adult only area, one side is smoking with comfy chairs along with the bar. Plenty of places to go.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#29
Ottawa,On, Canada
1,019 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Solararc
As we all know as of November, those of us who smoke have lost precious real estate. For those who have cruised since the switch could you please list the vessel name and areas where you found it permitted to smoke. No need to post the obvious spots like the garden villas or cigar bar, post of your dislikes of smoking are also not welcome, this thread is to help us all get along not pick another great CC debate.


*Living large one week at a time*
From ncl website
What about smoking on the ship?


As the health and well-being of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance, Norwegian Cruise Line will institute changes to its smoking policy for all sailings on or after November 1, 2014. The specific changes prohibit smoking on stateroom balconies and limit smoking in the casino to players. On Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, smoking on The Waterfront will be permitted on the starboard side, except by the outdoor dining areas.

Guests in the Garden Villas may smoke in their private garden and on their private sun decks.

Public areas throughout all our ships are smoke-free. If you smoke regular or electronic cigarettes, you can do so in designated areas only. If you prefer pipes or cigars, you can smoke in the Cigar Bar or designated smoking lounge. Smoking cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars and pipes is permitted in outdoor public guest spaces and open decks where designated by the ship's management based on the ship's specific characteristics and arrangement. Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is prohibited in or near venues serving food, the jogging track, outdoor sporting venues, The Haven outdoor areas and children's pool areas. On ships with The Waterfront, smoking is permitted on the starboard side excluding any food service areas. Active Casino players may smoke cigarettes in the Casino during gaming hours. Cigarette smoking is not permitted in any other indoor venue or location.

Guests are not permitted to smoke cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars or pipes in their staterooms or on their balconies. Cigar and pipe smoking in staterooms and on balconies is prohibited. Smoking inside your stateroom or on your balcony will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account. If cigarette burns on furniture, linens, towels or carpeting are detected; guests will be advised and charged for the damages.

Electronic cigarettes cannot be used in public areas where there is a No Smoking policy in force; simply because these cigarettes look so realistic and therefore other guests' perception is that we are not enforcing the No Smoking rule.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10-16-2011 Norwegian Pearl
06-15-2013 Norwegian Gem









Mary Ann & Remi
#30
B.c.
454 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Orleanscruiser
From ncl website

What about smoking on the ship?





As the health and well-being of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance, Norwegian Cruise Line will institute changes to its smoking policy for all sailings on or after November 1, 2014. The specific changes prohibit smoking on stateroom balconies and limit smoking in the casino to players. On Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, smoking on The Waterfront will be permitted on the starboard side, except by the outdoor dining areas.



Guests in the Garden Villas may smoke in their private garden and on their private sun decks.



Public areas throughout all our ships are smoke-free. If you smoke regular or electronic cigarettes, you can do so in designated areas only. If you prefer pipes or cigars, you can smoke in the Cigar Bar or designated smoking lounge. Smoking cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars and pipes is permitted in outdoor public guest spaces and open decks where designated by the ship's management based on the ship's specific characteristics and arrangement. Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is prohibited in or near venues serving food, the jogging track, outdoor sporting venues, The Haven outdoor areas and children's pool areas. On ships with The Waterfront, smoking is permitted on the starboard side excluding any food service areas. Active Casino players may smoke cigarettes in the Casino during gaming hours. Cigarette smoking is not permitted in any other indoor venue or location.



Guests are not permitted to smoke cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars or pipes in their staterooms or on their balconies. Cigar and pipe smoking in staterooms and on balconies is prohibited. Smoking inside your stateroom or on your balcony will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account. If cigarette burns on furniture, linens, towels or carpeting are detected; guests will be advised and charged for the damages.



Electronic cigarettes cannot be used in public areas where there is a No Smoking policy in force; simply because these cigarettes look so realistic and therefore other guests' perception is that we are not enforcing the No Smoking rule.

Thanks, but I was referring to the blanket "designated smoking areas" outside of those listed in the policy specific for each vessel.


*Living large one week at a time*
#31
Walkersville, Maryland
86 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by SteveH2508
Jade

Inside

Casino - Deck 6
Cigar Bar - Deck 6 by Bar City

Outside

Deck 7 (promenade deck) where the ash trays are - basically both sides IIRC
Deck 12 near the pool in the covered bit - port side
Deck 13 - port side of Bali High bar

OK until bad weather closes the outside decks - then the cigar bar gets quite cosy!
Just got off the Gem and the list from Jade have the same spots for smoking. I took quite a bit of abuse on deck 7 and in the Casino from non smokers. I did not engage, just ignored them and kept smoking where i was allowed.
#32
B.c.
454 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by cygnets
Just got off the Gem and the list from Jade have the same spots for smoking. I took quite a bit of abuse on deck 7 and in the Casino from non smokers. I did not engage, just ignored them and kept smoking where i was allowed.

Because you were in the correct area those people didn't have a leg to stand on! Good for you for not engaging them. These are the same pissy people that have nothing better to do than complain about their rights over others. I had a female passenger as an enemy right at embarkation for the whole 7 days on my last cruise because my room was called first to board, first to be seated in il Adago, and first at the muster drill. She made snarky remarks every time I seen her and also made it known that my daughter wasn't a pleasant sight in the suite areas because kids didn't belong. And after all that wanted a tour of my suite, I slammed the door in her face and said pissy green eyed women are not welcome!


*Living large one week at a time*
#33
new jersey United States
1,124 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by SteveH2508
Jade

Inside

Casino - Deck 6
Cigar Bar - Deck 6 by Bar City

Outside

Deck 7 (promenade deck) where the ash trays are - basically both sides IIRC
Deck 12 near the pool in the covered bit - port side
Deck 13 - port side of Bali High bar

OK until bad weather closes the outside decks - then the cigar bar gets quite cosy!
What is IIRC?

I was on the gem last August before they implemented the new rule.Smoking was permitted at bali bar plenty of ashtrays on every table there. The couple at the next table started to complain. Told them I was in a designated area for smokers, and left it at that. I thought to myself -- take a look around you everyone here is smoking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


NCL STAR 9/9/12-9/16/12 Bermuda
NCL GEM 5/11/3-5/18/13 Bahamas/Florida
NCL BREAKAWAY 4/27/14-5/4/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL GEM 8/23/14-8/30/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL Breakaway 2/13/15 2 Day CTN
NCL Breakaway 5/10/15 -5/17/15 Bermuda
NCL Gem 4/11/16- 4/21/16 10 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Gem 12/29/16-1/8/17 10 Day Eastern Caribbean-NY Eve Cruise
NCL Gem 5/13/17-5/20/17 Bahamas/Florida
#35
new jersey United States
1,124 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Kenlorz
IIRC = if I remember correctly
thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


NCL STAR 9/9/12-9/16/12 Bermuda
NCL GEM 5/11/3-5/18/13 Bahamas/Florida
NCL BREAKAWAY 4/27/14-5/4/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL GEM 8/23/14-8/30/14 Bahamas/Florida
NCL Breakaway 2/13/15 2 Day CTN
NCL Breakaway 5/10/15 -5/17/15 Bermuda
NCL Gem 4/11/16- 4/21/16 10 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL Gem 12/29/16-1/8/17 10 Day Eastern Caribbean-NY Eve Cruise
NCL Gem 5/13/17-5/20/17 Bahamas/Florida
#37
St. Cloud, Fl
10,442 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by tumblew467
What is IIRC?

I was on the gem last August before they implemented the new rule.Smoking was permitted at bali bar plenty of ashtrays on every table there. The couple at the next table started to complain. Told them I was in a designated area for smokers, and left it at that. I thought to myself -- take a look around you everyone here is smoking.
Had that happen a few times when non smokers entered the cigar lounge on Getaway.
#38
Boise, Idaho
216 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
To answer a couple of questions from upthread -

On the Getaway, the smoking areas are Deck 8 (starboard) on the Waterfront outside of the Sunset Bar and the Cigar Room. On deck 15 (pool deck) on the port side at the bar and in the enclosed smoking area right by the bar. Also in Soice H2O at the starboard side bar area. Plus, of course, the Casino and indoor cigar bar.

On the Getaway, there was a smoking area in the Haven. It was on the upper sundeck all the way forward. It's a nice area with three rows of loungers and awesome views.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Ecstasy - 2/2003 (LA to Encinada) - Porthole
NCL Star - 12/08 - 7 day Mexican Riviera - Balcony
NCL Epic - 11/10 - 7 day Eastern Carib. - Blacony
NCL Pearl - 7/12 - 7 day Alaska - Mini-suite
NCL Pearl - 12/12 - 7 day West. Carib. - Aft PH suite
NCL Getaway - 12/14 - 7 day E. Carib. - Aft PH suite
NCL Escape - 12/16 - 7 day E. Carib. - Forward Haven PH suite
NCL Getaway - 12/18 - 7 day W. Carib. - Courtyard PH suite
#39
Georgia, USA
32 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
I get all the non-smoking rules.......EXCEPT the e-cig rule. I quit smoking over a year ago but still enjoy my e-cig on occasion. I suppose I can even understand using it in public areas, but on your balcony? That makes no sense to me at all. There is no smell, no ashes and what smoke there is evaporates in seconds. I don't think I'd hesitate to even use it in my room. I use the e-cig all over my house and a non-smoker could walk in seconds after I put it away and never know.
#40
Norway
3,627 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by texansandy
I get all the non-smoking rules.......EXCEPT the e-cig rule. I quit smoking over a year ago but still enjoy my e-cig on occasion. I suppose I can even understand using it in public areas, but on your balcony? That makes no sense to me at all. There is no smell, no ashes and what smoke there is evaporates in seconds. I don't think I'd hesitate to even use it in my room. I use the e-cig all over my house and a non-smoker could walk in seconds after I put it away and never know.
I agree on this one, I really don't understand the reason for the ban regarding e-cigarettes inside your cabin or on your balcony. For all the reasons you mentioned above....