Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:00 PM.
In A House
3,517 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
If they disallowed jeans at dining I would starve on every cruise. If they allow those stupid and VERY ugly capri pants for women (and I guess these days technically men as well), they sure as heck should not ban jeans! Capri pants always look like the person ran out of clean clothes and had to wear her little sisters pants. And god please if you are over 16 do not wear them, seriously!
In A House
3,517 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Cruise or Lose!
Just as one cannot be “somewhat pregnant”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
<soapbox>

Neither can something be "VERY" unique. That one drives me nuts. People tend to forget that unique means "one of a kind". Something is either unique or it isn't. There are no degrees of uniqueness.
</soapbox>
texas
347 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
A) Wear them and report back.
B) I bet the rule enforcement can and does vary from day-to-day depending on the will/mood of the person at the door or a different person at the door on any given day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:
7/2016 - Norwegian Jewel: Seattle to Alaska
2/2014 - Carnival Miracle: Long Beach to PV and Cabo
6/2012 - Carnival Triumph: Galveston to Cozumel
Trevor WI
32 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by az-cruiser
Ok, so every woman I know is wearing jeans or even pants that are distressed, holes and unhemed at the ankle. I have one such pair of nice white pants that have holes in the knees. ( I know, nice pants with holes,,but they are super cute!) Do you think they will let me in the dinning room for lunch with these on? Same pants, in black, do you think they would let me in the dinning room for dinner wearing them?

Please no rude comments, it's a fashion thing. Thank you
So I was on the Sky last year. My favorite capris are DISTREESED jeans (wear with some holes). I had no problem at lunch in the MDR. I did not and would not wear them to dinner as I feel they are a bit casual for a dinner outfit, bit would likely be able to dress them up.
Your jeans sound fine. I wouldn't do a formal dining room or specialty restaurant in them though. But that is my opinion. You can do what you want, it's your vacation. If tgey wont let you in the dining room, change or go eat at a different venue. There are many to choose from.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ontario
3,245 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by ColinIllinois
LOL...ripped and torn isn't a gray area. They are either ripped/torn or they aren't. "Fashionably" ripped is still ripped.
So when I ripped my Kirkland jeans they didn't automatically become designer jeans?

Crap, I bought fifty pairs and ripped them all on a nail in the garage, right above the knee. Damn that hurt! Not just the stitches either, you try to fit into a pair of jeans in a size from 30 yeas ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
- Albert Einstein

Raleigh, NC
733 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
If people wear ripped jeans, I want to be able to wear spandex tights to dinner. After all, it's my vacation, not anyone else's. Note, I am a guy in my 50's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
minnesota
29 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by zitsky
If people wear ripped jeans, I want to be able to wear spandex tights to dinner. After all, it's my vacation, not anyone else's. Note, I am a guy in my 50's.
Where is the like button?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Frozen Tundra
8,719 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I’m surprised that “every woman” you know is wearing ripped jeans. NO women I know are wearing them. I see lots of teenagers wearing them though. I suppose if I saw a woman them I’d assume she was having a midlife crisis. However, I’m typing this while I’m in my upper 40’s wearing Mickey Mouse leggings, so I generally think people can wear whatever they want.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017
Coming up next: NCL Escape: May 2018 Viking River Cruise: June 2019 NCL Encore: Nov. 2019
Cincinnati
3,656 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by LrgPizza
I’m surprised that “every woman” you know is wearing ripped jeans. NO women I know are wearing them. I see lots of teenagers wearing them though. I suppose if I saw a woman them I’d assume she was having a midlife crisis. However, I’m typing this while I’m in my upper 40’s wearing Mickey Mouse leggings, so I generally think people can wear whatever they want.

Agree. It may be a regional thing. I never wear them, I’ve not seen any of my female friends wear them, and I really don’t even see them in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
5,384 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
A short while ago, the question was whether or not jeans of any kind were acceptable for dinner in any ship's venue. Now it's whether or not ripped clothes are OK.

Ripped clothes is not a fad or trend that I like to see on anyone, but that is the choice of the wearer, not me.
5,853 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by sanger727
Agree. It may be a regional thing. I never wear them, I’ve not seen any of my female friends wear them, and I really don’t even see them in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
NYC metro area, I’ve seen them on all ages (not me).
1,604 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Barb Nahoumi
A short while ago, the question was whether or not jeans of any kind were acceptable for dinner in any ship's venue. Now it's whether or not ripped clothes are OK.

Ripped clothes is not a fad or trend that I like to see on anyone, but that is the choice of the wearer, not me.

It’s not a fad or trend at all. Ripped jeans have been around since the eighties and maybe earlier. I was 13 in 1989 wearing my first pair and I’m 41 now still wearing them and they are more popular then ever. That’s not something I would call a fad or a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NY
308 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I just came back from a cruise on the Breakaway. You will be fine for lunch or dinner in the more casual dining rooms (Savor & Taste), based on what I've seen people wear. It's possible you will be let in to the Main Dining Room, the Manhattan Room on Breakaway in the jeans you described.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier (Big Red Boat) - 1992
Carnival Legend - 2002
NCL Gem - 2012
Carnival Splendor - 2013, 2014
RCI Anthem - Oct. 2016
NCL Breakaway - Oct. 2017
Future Cruise:
RCI Anthem-Nov. 2018
USA
10,487 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by Dina7
I just came back from a cruise on the Breakaway. You will be fine for lunch or dinner in the more casual dining rooms (Savor & Taste), based on what I've seen people wear. It's possible you will be let in to the Main Dining Room, the Manhattan Room on Breakaway in the jeans you described.
You can wear shorts in all main dining rooms, including the Manhattan Room.

The distressed look are for those who wish to attempt to maintain a youthful appearance.
NY
308 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by BirdTravels

The distressed look are for those who wish to attempt to maintain a youthful appearance.
I wasn't talking about shorts. I was addressing the op's question about her style of jeans being allowed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier (Big Red Boat) - 1992
Carnival Legend - 2002
NCL Gem - 2012
Carnival Splendor - 2013, 2014
RCI Anthem - Oct. 2016
NCL Breakaway - Oct. 2017
Future Cruise:
RCI Anthem-Nov. 2018
Raleigh, NC
733 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Moby0215
It’s not a fad or trend at all. Ripped jeans have been around since the eighties and maybe earlier. I was 13 in 1989 wearing my first pair and I’m 41 now still wearing them and they are more popular then ever. That’s not something I would call a fad or a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's just a fad that's come back. I have a pair of ripped jeans. I would be embarrassed to wear them to dinner at a nice restaurant on a cruise ship. Before you call me rude, it was the OP that opened this can of worms.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
In A House
3,517 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by BirdTravels

The distressed look are for those who wish to attempt to fool themselves into thinking they have a youthful appearance.
I fixed that for you!