Dog on ship

I went back and read the “Ralphie” thread. Little did I know what a flood gate I would open when I vented about the yappy little princess dog (who was actually a prince, I guess). That dog annoyed everyone who came in contact with him. And all he did was yap, yap, yap - during the ice show, theater, everywhere he went. And sometimes he was left alone in his promenade cabin to annoy those who were any cabin near him. His stroller in the hallway and habit of sitting on his owners lap and eating off the plates (when he wasn’t runnng around eating off the floor) constituted health and safety issues. Never have run into this since this cruise 6 years ago. I had forgotten that he lunged at one person which was another safety issue. At this point, Ralphie may be in dog heaven, or maybe just too old to cruise. Hopefully Royal has a special place to keep a dog like him until the cruise is over. I have since cruised with several dogs that were true service dogs. They were a pleasure to be with. One cruise, on another line, had a group of blind people with their dogs (20 maybe). Hardly knew they were there - most were large dogs, but they just blended in

We have cruised several times with a couple that the wife has several health issues, sometimes she is out and about, sometimes she stays in her cabin, sometimes mobile, sometimes in a wheelchair. She often, through not always, has her small dog with her. He is a service dog and never takes his eyes off her face when he is with her. I don't know what he is watching for, what her issues are, but if I ever heard him "yap" I would pay attention! He is a very small dog but not a toy or prince.

Kay

Service dogs are well trained. They do not bark at people or urinate or defecate anywhere except where they are supposed to. I’m sick of people trying to smuggle yappy little dogs on airplanes and cruise ships, saying they are service dogs. BS!! Something needs to be done, as it ruins it for people with true needs and real service dogs! People need to start leaving little Fluffy home! What’s next? Cats on ships??
I agree with you totally.

One of the news articles about Delta cracking down had a person with a service duck or turkey.

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

Don't judge. You never know if one of the family members had anxiety, PTSD, or any other host of illnesses which is calmed by a service dog. They're (dogs) aren't always large dogs. I have a friend who suffers from horrible anxiety and has a miniature rat terrior as her (registered) service dog.

Don't judge. You never know if one of the family members had anxiety, PTSD, or any other host of illnesses which is calmed by a service dog. They're (dogs) aren't always large dogs. I have a friend who suffers from horrible anxiety and has a miniature rat terrior as her (registered) service dog.

The registry of service dogs is not recognized by the government, and most do not require any confirmation of your disability, the task the dog performs, or anything else other than your cash. A dog whose sole function is to calm someone by their mere presence is not a service animal, it is an emotional support animal, and is not protected by the ADA as service animals are. Your friend's dog should be, even in a "registry" should be "registered" as an ESA, not a service animal. As I've noted, the ADA does classify PTSD dogs as service animals, if they perform a function, rather than mere presence, to ameliorate the PTSD.

The registry of service dogs is not recognized by the government, and most do not require any confirmation of your disability, the task the dog performs, or anything else other than your cash. A dog whose sole function is to calm someone by their mere presence is not a service animal, it is an emotional support animal, and is not protected by the ADA as service animals are. Your friend's dog should be, even in a "registry" should be "registered" as an ESA, not a service animal. As I've noted, the ADA does classify PTSD dogs as service animals, if they perform a function, rather than mere presence, to ameliorate the PTSD.

Yes, you're right the dog is an emotional support animal. She is/and has been welcomed on any airlines my friend flies on (and she is an avid traveler).

Yes, you're right the dog is an emotional support animal. She is/and has been welcomed on any airlines my friend flies on (and she is an avid traveler).

And airlines are required to carry ESA's because of the ACAA, which does not apply to cruise ships, or any other form of transportation, or public access. ESA's are only protected by the ACAA and the Equal Housing Act.

What service is the dog trained to perform?

This “service dog” farce should not be suffered in silence. I know many prefer to avoid conflict, but the offender might be so enamored of Fluffy that she doesn’t realize that everyone doesn’t find him so adorable. (But probably just doesn’t care.)

On our last cruise, the little yapper came rushing out at me barking in the hall and I responded with a firm, loud “NO”. The dog quieted and retuned to his owners side. She had the grace to look sheepish and murmur apologies. Thereafter when I passed Fluffy when going to my cabin I would give him the stink-eye and he never barked at me again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by iluvit!

What service is the dog trained to perform?

In the case of PTSD for veterans, service dogs can be trained to detect when the vet is about to have a panic attack or flashback and can intervene by keeping them grounded and focused on the hear and now, to prevent any dissociation from happening.

In the case of PTSD for veterans, service dogs can be trained to detect when the vet is about to have a panic attack or flashback and can intervene by keeping them grounded and focused on the hear and now, to prevent any dissociation from happening.

That wasn't what the question was though.

I have never seen any service animals on any of our 45 cruises the vast majority of which were in European waters.

I have been flying for 50 years and also have never seen any service animals on any flight.

I believe British quarantine laws are very strict against Rabies which is not in Britain and any animals are kept in the airplanes hold.

I have never seen any service animals on any of our 45 cruises the vast majority of which were in European waters.

I have been flying for 50 years and also have never seen any service animals on any flight.

I believe British quarantine laws are very strict against Rabies which is not in Britain and any animals are kept in the airplanes hold.

While this may change with Brexit, the UK must allow service dogs to accompany their owner in the flight cabin on all flights from EU nations, and on all cruises from EU nations. The big difference is that the UK requires, for travel, that the animal be trained by an organization recognized by a couple of international assistance dog federations.

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

People have manipulated the ADA 'service dog' rules/laws/policies ... to extend to 'emotional needs' dogs/animals. Thus, families bring their little pocketbook family pet wherever they want.

While this may change with Brexit, the UK must allow service dogs to accompany their owner in the flight cabin on all flights from EU nations, and on all cruises from EU nations. The big difference is that the UK requires, for travel, that the animal be trained by an organization recognized by a couple of international assistance dog federations.

Disabled people are usually seated at the front of the plane as we can confirm because Pauline's mam flew with us when we took her on 6 cruises.

Her wheelchair was put in the hold and service personnel in Newcastle airport took us to a special lounge with mil in their wheelchair and we were brought to the plane by a lift vehicle and entered on the right hand side while all other passengers got on the plane through the Normal doors.

There are always several people who stay on the plane for special assistance but i have never seen any service animals ever.

Disabled people are usually seated at the front of the plane as we can confirm because Pauline's mam flew with us when we took her on 6 cruises.

Her wheelchair was put in the hold and service personnel in Newcastle airport took us to a special lounge with mil in their wheelchair and we were brought to the plane by a lift vehicle and entered on the right hand side while all other passengers got on the plane through the Normal doors.

There are always several people who stay on the plane for special assistance but i have never seen any service animals ever.

I have no problem with truly disabled people to be seated at the front of the airplane. Last year on a Southwest flight, there were 29 people in wheel chairs. They boarded first. Once we arrived at our destination, only 2 people remained onboard for assistance (wheel chair). The other 27 walked off the plane with no visible disabilities or visible problems with walking. I wander how many of those 27 people abused the system just to board first and be seated in the front of the airplane. Sad.

You don’t think that maybe their disability meant that they could walk short distances but not the kind of distance that it takes to get across an airport? I know I’d rather walk off the plane and into a waiting wheelchair if I could.

The big difference is that the UK requires, for travel, that the animal be trained by an organization recognized by a couple of international assistance dog federations.

If this has worked in the UK why can't the USA adopt this policy?

Fluffy & Ralphie can just go to the doggie kennels and be properly looked after and learn some manners.

If this has worked in the UK why can't the USA adopt this policy?

Fluffy & Ralphie can just go to the doggie kennels and be properly looked after and learn some manners.

Because there is not enough interest or media visibility or lobbying money to get the lawmakers interested in changing the law.

I have a buddy that has a fox as a pet. If a dog can pass as an 'emotional support' animal, why can't his fox? Or my other friend's bunny? Some folks actually have pigs. Should RCL prevent someone on ship with their pig?

I have an acquaintance who does have an emotional support rabbit. He has prescription from his doctor stating his need. The bunny is adorable and never poops outside his litter box. I don’t know if he cruises, but, if so, I’m sure he would take it along.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums