Kobe

MarcyLondon

We will be docking in Kobe in October 2019. I think many cruises are overnight in Osaka for visiting both Kyoto and Kobe. We have a day in both ports. I have found very little information about what to see in Kobe so any help would be gratefully appreciated

Marcia

If there is nothing in Kobe that interests you I'd seriously suggest going to Himeji by train and visiting the castle there. It's one of the most beautiful in Japan. It's a comfortable walk from Himeji station to the castle grounds. Allow a good 2-3 hours to explore the castle and grounds.

From the cruise dock find your way to the Shin-Kobe station, which is the Shinkansen line. There should be a ticket office there that will help you book your return train tickets.

We did this from Osaka and it was very easy.

I have to confirm... compared to the places which can be reached from Kobe, Kobe itself has little to offer.

We did one day in Osaka and went to Kyoto on the second day - one of the highlight of our Japan cruise.

You can find more information and details in our review: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

• 5 weeks later...
If there is nothing in Kobe that interests you I'd seriously suggest going to Himeji by train and visiting the castle there. It's one of the most beautiful in Japan. It's a comfortable walk from Himeji station to the castle grounds. Allow a good 2-3 hours to explore the castle and grounds.

From the cruise dock find your way to the Shin-Kobe station, which is the Shinkansen line. There should be a ticket office there that will help you book your return train tickets.

We did this from Osaka and it was very easy.

If you say it's easy then I think this is a great option. We aren't very adventurous! Is it easy to find the station from the port? How far is that?

Thank you

Marcia

There’s actually quite a bit to do around Kobe depending on what interests you. I can try to offer some suggestions if you are looking for something in particular? I studied in Kobe for a few months so I’m familiar with the area and some of the cities nearby.

However, I would second the suggestion of going to Himeji for the day to see the castle if you have never been. Do you know which port you are docking at? Unless you are particularly interested in riding the Shinkansen you can easily get a rapid train from either Sannomiya or Kobe stations to Himeji which will take approximately 40 minutes each way and cost just under ¥1000 one way (around 9 USD).

Edited by ShipFish