Eight excursions or $800 OBC?

HokiePoq

Perhaps the "different approach" is the reasonable "price" to pay for the far better food and service you will experience.

I was talking about shore excursions. Have not seen a package deal/discount on multiple excursions on other cruise lines we've cruised.

Jancruz;

I continually meet people on cruises that have never heard of CC, and haven’t a clue what a Roll Call is. We see people coming to this Forum regularly that are redirected to their Roll Call because they don’t know or understand what a Roll Call is and how it can be used. Cruisers are often amazed , and anguished, when they learn that exact tour they’re doing on a bus with 25-30, we’re doing in a small group of 8-10 at less than half the price! The OP not only gave no hint of where they’re going, but also if they’re familiar with CC Roll Call. Do YOu understand that?

What I do understand is money is no object for some. My TA has clients that only sail OS. If OS isn’t available they don’t go or look elsewhere. She loves biking them OS on ATWs! They could care less if they’re paying >2X for a comparable tour. Mother O is holding their hand every step of the way and that’s what is most important to them. Just like the people doing O pre and post hotels and transfer. Cost doesn’t matter, only having their hand held. I understand fully the situation.

Since the OP told us nothing of their personal circumstances, I was only giving them my opinion of what might be better options, if they cared to explore them, in lieu of accepting O’s prices as some rational benchmark.

Do you understand?

Just FYI....we are experienced cruisers and travelers. Have taken many private CC excursions and organized one for 50 people. Because ours is a long cruise I followed one poster's advice and switched to the 8 excursions. We will be on our own in Capetown and Singapore where we've visited before and likely take ship's excursions in some of the more remote places. I started roll call for our 2020 cruise and am checking out the private ones the folks on 2019 sailing are doing to see if we'd be interested in lining of any of them for 2020. I think we'll end up with a mix of independent, CC private tours and ship's excursions, Thanks to everyone for their input.

I was talking about shore excursions. Have not seen a package deal/discount on multiple excursions on other cruise lines we've cruised.

Understood. Nonetheless, O's "different approach" on most things (whether excursions, prestige liquor package, etc) is value laden when compared to other cruise lines.

If you decide to take the OBC instead, make sure you can actually use it on things you planned to do. Otherwise you might get your excursions cheaper, but then you have a balance you didn't use.

That's correct.

If we took the $3,600 OBC OLife perk, but don't have anywhere to spend it on the ship (because everything's included), then have to spend over $4,000 on private tours in addition to our cruisefare, it is financially foolish. It makes much more sense to book the 36 ship tours and spend a little on a few private or DIY tours. Plus, we have a whole lot more OBC from O and our travel agent that will meet any needs on the ship. Whether we "like" ship tours or not, we will use this OLife perk because we're not rich and this makes sense to us. :-)

Understood. Nonetheless, O's "different approach" on most things (whether excursions, prestige liquor package, etc) is value laden when compared to other cruise lines.

Sounds good to me. Close friend swears by O but has never tried any other line. We're 4 star Mariners on HAL, Elite on Celebrity, and Platinum Plus on NCL (hated RCCL so only 2 with them). Great service and acceptable food on all of them except RCCL. Really looking forward to the O difference. (To be fair, service was great also on RCCL but the food was awful....and we are not picky)

We usually do both - Take the OLife excursions and book some private tours for the ports we wish to be tailor made to our specifications and have others join us or we join in on private excursions that others arrange privately. We find the blend of both works for us.

Denise